PDA

View Full Version : Copying RPMs to Windows to burn them to CD.

Toadman
07-13-2002, 05:40 AM
Ok before the Search Nazi's come down on me I have already done several searchs under all types of file access words and Samba and though many make reference to files on Windows boxes I still am confused. And as always I am not asking to be spoon feed just want some direction...but a little more specfic than "go read a Linux manual".

What I want to do is basically copy all the RPMs to my Windows machine (it has the CD burner) and burn them to CD. When I do a complete rebuild (Linux )getting the RMPs is the worst part so I would like to be able to do a rebuild pop the CD (RPMs) in the Linux box and just file copy them on the new image.

Thanks for any help in advance and god forgive me if its already on the forums and i was just not fortunate enough to pick the right search word.

BlueAdept
07-13-2002, 07:19 AM
Go read a Linux manual.

You can either set up an ftp on your linux box to get them, you could set up samba, you could download them from the site where you go them or you put them in your web page directory.

Try www.linuxdoc.org and use the SEARCH there.

Virusmaster
07-13-2002, 10:24 AM
or you could stick the burner in the Linux box for a day and learn how to use it...

Remember one thing about copying files to your windows box. The attribute flags will change. Best general practice would be to tar the files before you move them to windows and burn the tar file intact.

I made just such a cd for myself, contains all the RPMS and a few scripts to setup SEQ. Makes life a LOT easier when you have to set up a new box. Fortunately since I've become more used to Linux, I have not broken my box and no longer need to continually reload it like in the early days, but it's still nice to have the CD.

Toadman
07-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks Virusmaster! I will do just that ,tar the files and pass them over to the Windows box and Burn them there. Nice simple advice. Have a good day.

S_B_R
07-15-2002, 08:47 AM
OT:
Since your question has been answered I'd like to hijack this thread for a minute.
Originally posted by Toadman
Ok before the Search Nazi's come down on me I have already done several searchs... ... ... This was not needed. As Jeeves has said before we (the "Search Nazis") know what information has and has not been posted on this board. So I'm 99% sure the "Search Nazis" would not have "come down on you". Your statement above seems very confrontational and would put people on the defensive the instant they read it.

Ok, you can have the thread back now ;)

Toadman
07-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Sorry I slightly disagree ;). I know lots of folks do ask without searching and get what is coming but I have seen cases where the person seemed to give the search a try and their only sin was "not knowing the correct search word" and they got hammered.

That was my only fear. Searching on "windows", "samba" ,"file transfer" ," file systems" got me nowhere. I was afraid there was some well know simple application you pros thought "anyone with a brain should know about" and I was goning to get smacked.

Just like there is a PC/Mac rivalry there is a HUGH Linux/Windows rivarly/bigotry where Linus pros look down on Windows users and I have seen quite a few unload on some poor guy just starting out to learn Linux.

The message that is "sometimes" sent is "go learn Linux then come back and ask a question". This is not a rant or flame just an observation.

I try not to ask questions for that reason.

S_B_R
07-15-2002, 02:25 PM
The overwhelming majority of the time when people say that "searched and didn't find anything", they get flamed becuase if they just put the subject of thier thread in the search they would come up with the right answer....

But anyway, I was just saying that your post started out very confrontational. As some people would say the "tone" was condisending. ;)

high_jeeves
07-15-2002, 02:56 PM
I wouldnt have come down on you for not searching, because I know this information is not found on these boards. How do I know this? Because, unless my monitor is screwy, the big sign at the top says ShowEQ, not SAMBA, not LINUX... you asked a question which certainly would not have been answered here on the SHOWEQ forums. Why? Becuse it is in no way related to ShowEQ.

--Jeeves

casey
07-15-2002, 04:48 PM
scp > *

BlueAdept
07-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by S_B_R
I was just saying that your post started out very confrontational. As some people would say the "tone" was condisending. ;)

Yes it was. That is why my post was formated the way it was.

I consider the term "Search Nazi" extremely rude, unnecessary and small minded.

Even though I gave him the information, I did it in a backhanded way because of the content of his message.

Toadman
07-16-2002, 03:27 AM
Virusmaster this is not directed at you at all you were the only one who understood my question, have a sense of humor and offered the CLUE to answer.

Hmmm. Man you guys are just WAY to sensitive (must be liberals). And you do have balls calling me rude from the comments I have seem directed at folks who do not understand they are dealing with OS snobs. I set my question up as is freakin joke about how quickly you"superior" type jump on newbies. Ya ga cha "uber" operating syatem and you know it's secrects and have ask the right question the right way....get it. DUH!

Actually none of you got the correct answer. Opps did I say that . I ask for a SIMPLE way to get them to Windows box. Without having to master the "superior" OS.

Lets see the "superior" OS you worship and puff about would of required downloading SAMBA ,and configuring that. Seting up a WEB page. Or changing permissions and security levely to FTP , Or redownloading them all again.

Well. With Virusmasters help I had them transfered in 5 mins without having to do any "be a re real man, use Linux, do everything the hard way".

I attached them (tar files) to an e-mail and mailed them ;) was burning a CD 5 mins after that. Tested the CD files 15 mins later. And they all worked. For acurate comparisons remove the testing time, I would of do that no mater what method I used.

So guys please go outside take a breath, smile a bit, get some sun and unwind.

Mr Guy
07-16-2002, 07:31 AM
Sorry there stud, if you followed the generic installations for most "newbie" flavors of linux you probably have Samba or apache (probably both) on your machine already, most likely already installed and likely already running. Only the Samba would take adding a paragraph or two to your Samba config. Doesn't take mastering. You should figure it out, you'll be glad you did later.

I suppose if you begin search nazi as a joke, then you won't mind if we jokingly respond, "Idiotic fucktard, why are you asking here".

By the way, when searching for something, start with the most powerful and most likely place and ask for exactly what you want.

Search engine: www.google.com
Search terms: Samba easy help faq
Top results:
SAMBA FAQ
... up printers Setting up a printer to work with Samba is just as easy as mapping a
share. The available printers are located in Clifford Hall rm 160 (Help Desk ...
www.aero.und.edu/HelpDesk/samba/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Welcome to Linuxnewbie.org : Wanna learn linux? : NHF's
... linuxnewbie.org.gif Saturday, 08-Jun-2002 18:06:33 EDT. ... mkdir /home/samba/data
# chown smbuser:smb /home/samba/data # chmod 2770 /home/samba/data. ...
www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/ network/samba/samba1.html - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

Samba meta FAQ: General Information
... The easy way to test these claims is ... If you need urgent help and are willing ... list,
which are available through the Samba ... solve a problem, please mail the FAQ ...
www.uwsg.iu.edu/software/source-docs/ faq/Samba-meta-FAQ-2.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Samba-UNIX and NT Interoperability Made Easy
... -- prev. page [1] 2 3 4 5 next page --> March 1997 | Mark Joseph Edwards | Focus
| InstantDoc #471 Samba-UNIX and NT Interoperability Made Easy UNIX and NT ...
www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=471 - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

S_B_R
07-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Hmmm. Man you guys are just WAY to sensitive (must be liberals).

I'm sorry if I take offense to being called a Nazi... I guess that's like Asshole, somewhere I missed the non-insulting meaning of both of these terms...

The responses, to use the search function have nothing to do with OS Superiority, and EVERYTHING to do with the information already being available here. Like I said in my previous post, we know what information is here and what isn't. If it's here we'll tell you to do a little searching. If it's not here we'll be more than willing to help you find it.

As I have said in other threads, the "Use the Search Function" responses are not ment to make us (or anyone) feel "Superior". They are simply there to let you know that the topic has been discussed before. Also quite frankly, I'm tired of answering a question that has been asked so frequently.

You might say "Well just don't post anything and let someone else answer it." The problem with that is the poster will keep bumping the thread till someone gives him the answer, which could take days! That doesn't really help anyone, since the question could have been answered with a simple search, instead the poster has to wait for someone to answer.

So you see "Use the Search Function" is a completely valid answer. No more or less valid than anything else.

Mr Guy
07-16-2002, 08:29 AM
You know actually works really well?

Say: I tried searching for x y z and I couldn't find what I needed. Where else should I search or what should I be searching for if I want to do a_task.

I've never seen anyone get flamed for that.

S_B_R
07-16-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Mr Guy
You know actually works really well?

Say: I tried searching for x y z and I couldn't find what I needed. Where else should I search or what should I be searching for if I want to do a_task.

I've never seen anyone get flamed for that. :DExactly!:D I think that gets a Buddy Christ!
http://seq.sourceforge.net/images/info.jpg

Guygin
07-16-2002, 12:47 PM
S_B_R
edit: sorry - laughing outloud at your post - whatever I happen to be drinking comes shooting out my nose - I love that pic! <cleans up the Sierra Mist from the keyboard, monitor......>

BlueAdept
07-16-2002, 04:12 PM
[B]Virusmaster this is not directed at you at all you were the only one who understood my question, have a sense of humor and offered the CLUE to answer. [B]

Well lets see, you wanted to find a way to transfer the files to your windows machine...I said.

1. Set up samba - allows you to transfer files to and from other pcs. Seems valid to me.

2. Set up an ftp - allows you to transfer files to and from other pcs. Also seems valid to me.

3. Download the files from the web site where you got them. Gee this also sounds like a solution.

4. Put them in your website directory so you can download them. Another one that sounds valid to me.

All are pretty easy and most are set up already when you install linux.

Hmmm. Man you guys are just WAY to sensitive (must be liberals). And you do have balls calling me rude from the comments I have seem directed at folks who do not understand they are dealing with OS snobs. I set my question up as is freakin joke about how quickly you"superior" type jump on newbies. Ya ga cha "uber" operating syatem and you know it's secrects and have ask the right question the right way....get it. DUH!

Actually I think you would fall under the small minded part of what I said.

Actually none of you got the correct answer. Opps did I say that . I ask for a SIMPLE way to get them to Windows box. Without having to master the "superior" OS.

Lets see the "superior" OS you worship and puff about would of required downloading SAMBA ,and configuring that. Seting up a WEB page. Or changing permissions and security levely to FTP , Or redownloading them all again.

Dont like it? Go buy a Mac then. That should be more your speed anyway.

Edit (added whats below):

BTW Virusmaster said "put the burner in the linux box and then tar up the files and burn them on a cd". You didnt even follow his advice either but thanked him...

Go find somewhere else to play. When you grow up, come back.

casey
07-17-2002, 08:21 AM
scp !!!! (in case you missed it the first time)

but for a more in depth explanaition for the ssh impaired.

1) download putty onto your windows box (google it)
2) make sure you get the pscp program from the putty site (grab putty itself too)
3) make sure your linux box is running sshd
4) run cmd.exe (or command.com if you are still stuck on the 9x line)
5) now do this in your command shell

mkdir myrpmshit
cd myrpmshit
pscp my-linux-box:/path/to/rpms/* .

you just copied all your files in /path/to/rpms on your linux box to myrpmshit on your windows box. teh easy.

Kimbler
07-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Casey, How do I know if my linux box is running "sshd"? I download putty and run it and it always says "connection refused".

I also downlaoded the "pscp" file to my windows box and when i exc. it the dos box pops up a sec and then goes away.

Thanks

Edits:

Ok. First the pscp.exe has to be in the directory your using or you have to include it the path name.

I tried the folowing based on the parameter information....I tried the IP address since i have no clue what my linus "host" is or for that matter how to find out what my "host" is.

C:\WINDOWS\RPM>pscp [email protected]:/root/rpm/*.*

PuTTY Secure Copy client
Release 0.52
Usage: pscp [options] [user@]host:source target
pscp [options] source [source...] [user@]host:target
pscp [options] -ls user@host:filespec
Options:
-p preserve file attributes
-q quiet, don't show statistics
-r copy directories recursively
-v show verbose messages
-P port connect to specified port
-pw passw login with specified password
-unsafe allow server-side wildcards (DANGEROUS)

But no cigar.

casey
07-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Casey, How do I know if my linux box is running "sshd"? I download putty and run it and it always says "connection refused".

check your process listing. if its not there, check to see if it starts at boot (read sysvinit docs). more likely than not, its just not installed if its not running.

I also downlaoded the "pscp" file to my windows box and when i exc. it the dos box pops up a sec and then goes away.

you're quick on the directions. Take very careful note that i said to open a command shell *before* running pscp, and then to run pscp in that shell.

Ok. First the pscp.exe has to be in the directory your using or you have to include it the path name.

i prefer to keep them in the windows dir, so that they are in the $PATH.

C:\WINDOWS\RPM>pscp [email protected]:/root/rpm/*.*

there you go again with not reading instructions. take a look again at the command i gave. and here are a couple hints to set you right. /root/rpm/*.* is a path on your linux box, and you probably just want to use "*". not "*.*". But more importantly, you never gave a destination in your command, where is it supposed to copy to? (the "." in my example command means current directory)

here's your free clue of the day

pscp [email protected]:/root/rpm/* c:\rpms

of course, modify the destination directory to conform to your likings.

Kimbler
07-17-2002, 10:14 AM
THANKS!! Yep I am terible and following directions to the letter..Thanks for being gentle and the tip..

I now get:

C:\WINDOWS\RPM>pscp [email protected]:/root/rpm/* c:\rpms

Fatal: ssh_init: Network error: Connection refused

Which you alluded to probaly means sshd is not starting...I will look into that.

Thanks agian for your help.I will let you know how it goes.