PDA

View Full Version : using a new libeq does one totally recompile

ladybat
07-14-2002, 03:57 AM
I have been using the same libeq for some time now... I'm a bit nervous about updating it as I am completely self taught and feel "fairly" familar with some aspects ....like cvs updates etc.

My Libeq works pretty well there are some times it takes time to get the key...but Ive been debating whether or not to update it.....

My main question is....if I choose to go with a new libeq....do I need to completely recompile seq again.....( Im kinda thinking yes but not sure) or would it simply be a matter or installig the new libeq in the olds ones place and then redoing a make etc?

thanks!

LB out

high_jeeves
07-14-2002, 08:34 AM
libEQ.a is a static library (it is compiled into the final executable, instead of referenced at runtime). You will have to rebuild ShowEQ. Check out the instructions on updating ShowEQ from CVS, and just do everything after the "cvs update" line.

--Jeeves

adenine!
07-14-2002, 11:49 AM
You don't need to recompile the whole thing, just run the linker again.

rm -f src/showeq
make && make install

[edit]Actually, it depends how old your current ShowEQ is. If it's working fine now, I don't think you need to recompile the whole thing, but then it's probably pointless to use a newer libEQ because it's not going to decode any faster.

fryfrog
07-14-2002, 12:12 PM
bad bad, don't confuse them! :)

ladybat
07-14-2002, 12:53 PM
ok.....it sounds like then its simply a matter of
inserting the new libeq and redoing a cvs update and the make and make install etc....thanks!.

I just didnt want to have to go thru the whole rebuild with the thread option etc like when you update the qt's as it just takes so dang long

Dedpoet
07-15-2002, 07:10 AM
Ah...you're thinking of the Qt compile. You only need to rebuild Seq, not Qt. On a 1gig+ machine, this only takes 4 or 5 minutes. Depending on your hardware, it shouldn't be too bad unless you're on a Pentium 133 or something. ;) As mentioned, just grab the new libEQ.a to replace the old one, then do the cvs update procedure.

ladybat
07-15-2002, 07:24 AM
thank you.....I actually thought it would be more complex then that lol