PDA

View Full Version : VMware and seq

unknown_errors
07-15-2002, 11:48 PM
i have heard tall tales that this type of config works.. i'll be running two VMs one windowsXP and one mandarke 8.2. running off a base windowsXP box.. i really dont need the other windows VM but what the hell it will boting easyer, and with a two sticks of 512 ram puting me over gig i shouldn't have issues right ?

S_B_R
07-15-2002, 11:52 PM
VMWare doesn't support DirectX.... Meaning you won't be able to run any DirectX apps (everquest) inside VMWare.

LordCrush
07-16-2002, 04:15 AM
SEQ in VMWare works, but i would not recomend to run it on a single PC´s.

I use it for taking a linux box on my notebook when i am not a ta home. Dont confuse it with a winseq - bad word - :D you have to do all configs as with a "real" Linux-Box :)

And VMWare is not cheap the licence is about $ 300 ....

unknown_errors
07-16-2002, 04:56 AM
i dont pay for much (beside eq) but if you say it should work i'll give it a shot.. thanks for the info about the directX

Kris Kringle
07-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Erm... since this topic is on vmware...

Do I need to set up linux from inside vmware to have it run on windows? I assumed so, and so far have found no way to.. "open" my existing linux partition from vmware...

*shrug* just a thought.

brian6244
07-18-2002, 01:56 AM
Let me just say (for the record) it does work. I just finished installing RH7.2 and the libs and seq, all on Vmware 3.1 on a WinXP host box.

Thanks to tgf and his AWSOME post and attached batch file. It saved me from a big headache.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273&highlight=installing+gcc

For the record I didnt do anything special to the VM guest OS. Bridged networking and standard VMware tools install as well.

brian6244
07-18-2002, 09:28 AM
I copied my VM over to another box (Win2k) and it still works wonderfully on that box too! I'd love to zip it up and send it out to all you guys that are having trouble but its about 1.2 gigs ya know. :)

high_jeeves
07-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Not to mention the fact that VMWare is not free software.

--Jeeves

S_B_R
07-18-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by high_jeeves
Not to mention the fact that VMWare is not free software.

--Jeeves Damn you Jeeves! And your accursed Vulcan logic! ;)

brian6244
07-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Vmware is not free software. That is correct. It'll run ya about $150 for their cheap ver. However it is (to my understanding) not a violation of the EULA or any copywrite laws to distribute a guest OS package that is licensed for General Public Use (IE: RedHat, Mandrake guest OS's). I am referring to the distribution of the linux guest OS files ONLY and NOT the VMWare software itself. I picked this info up at a MS "Load N Go" seminar that was in town recently and also had reps from VMWare on hand. If my information is incorrect then even the techs working for VMWare dont know the rules. :cool:

high_jeeves
07-18-2002, 12:46 PM
That is correct, to the best of my knowledge. I was simply pointing VMWares liscensing out to many of the people around here who (accidentally, I'm sure) forget to pay for commercial software.

--Jeeves

brian6244
07-18-2002, 03:55 PM
:D

LordCrush
07-19-2002, 12:04 AM
btw mine is correctly licensed - i use it for work :D

unknown_errors
07-20-2002, 08:01 PM
it seems that mandrake 8.2 isn't supported by VMware at this time... whice sux cause now i have to download redhat and learn the commands with in it, so to my question if the has gotten this config to work running on winXP host, what ver of redhat or mandrake did you use ??
thanks

wfj5444
07-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Not True. Running Madrake 8.2 in VMware now on a WinXP host Box.

Running News CVS as of today, but only QT 2.3.2.. damn 3.0.5 giving me problems :)

S_B_R
07-21-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by unknown_errors
it seems that mandrake 8.2 isn't supported by VMware at this time... whice sux cause now i have to download redhat and learn the commands with in it, so to my question if the has gotten this config to work running on winXP host, what ver of redhat or mandrake did you use ??
thanks

You do realize Mandrake is based on the Redhat Distro, don't you?

unknown_errors
07-22-2002, 03:01 PM
this message is for wfj5444 or anyone that has mandrake 8.2 running as a guest OS with VMware, i use workstaion
2.0.4 not working very well

unknown_errors
01-09-2003, 01:05 AM
after a long time of saveing money cause i couldn't fins a serial for any of the newer vers. i now have VMware running on a XP host which in turn runs EQ in EQW. and now it network issues. my xp box is a gate way for two other computers ( my roommates, i got the to be the lucky one to be the gatway because we are cheating the cable company out of 15 bucks,and my puter is the unberest. but shhhh about that )
any how i have tried all the VMware networking tools all the options and seq just wont see packets from the host box will from roommate but not mine. sucks monkey balls. any ideas ?

throx
01-09-2003, 10:20 AM
It's not going to work that way. VMWare will not be able to see the packets going from your machine to the EQ servers.

Do some thinking about what can see which packets and use the fact that the VMWare virtual machine is equivalent to another machine on your internal network and you should be able to find a solution. Personally I'd recommend getting a cable router or a $50 PC running Linux to act as your gateway to the net. Connecting a Windows box directly to the net (especially if you are the type of person who uses words like 'uberest' and doesn't know much about packet switched networks) is a recipie for disaster.