PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ Alerts

IcewraithUK
07-18-2002, 12:41 AM
Is there a possibility that we could get ShowEQ to run an external program on an alert instead of a sound byte?

Dedpoet
07-18-2002, 06:16 AM
I did a search on "sound" but didn't find what I was looking for. I did find the same post by you a month ago but noticed it also didn't get any replies. I am certain there was a post on this board maybe 4-6 weeks ago that said this was possible, but not really supported. Does anyone remember who said this? I'm sure it was either Zaphod or one of the regulars, so searching for posts on their names wouldn't be very helpful...

Ratt
07-18-2002, 08:38 AM
ShowEQ has been able to do this basically since it's inception. In fact, when it plays the sound... what exactly do you think it's doing? Running ESDPLAY to play the sound...

I've set SEQ up to do a few other things when an alert goes off (even had it speak the name via a voice synth :) )

IcewraithUK
07-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Excellent Ratt :)

Now, I've tried replacing ESDPLAY <whatever> in the conf file, but it doesn't work... is there something special I have to do? Could you post an example?

Thanks
Craig

Cryonic
07-18-2002, 02:06 PM
were you editing an xml conf file or the old and no longer used showeq.conf?

In newer versions of SEQ you should be able to make the changes from within the program then save the changes out to the xml conf file.

Ulrich
07-24-2002, 08:15 AM
When I had my own custom alert program in the past I remember having to edit the seq source and recompile for it to call something other than ESDPLAY, pretty sure there wasnt an option for it in the conf file at that time, but I guess there might be now?

Cryonic
07-24-2002, 09:19 AM
How long ago was that Ulrich? As far back as I can recall (v2.3), SEQ has had a conf option for telling it how to alert you on something from the filters.

Ulrich
07-24-2002, 09:27 AM
Hum, I guess it would have been somewhere right around that time. Ended up buggering my box and never got around to rewriting the alert stuff I had so havent looked at it since then. :)
(I switched to SINS for a goodly while in there)

Although it seems like it was a bit more recent than that and I'm sure it was hard coded into the spawn code when I was messing with it. Doesnt really matter though, if its in the conf now, excellent, maybe I'll get around to redoing my old stuff now that it wont require recompiling showeq. :)

adenine!
07-25-2002, 12:54 PM
I think for a while there was an option in showeq.conf to run something other than esdplay, except changing it didn't actually do anything because /usr/bin/esdplay was still hardcoded in the source.

IcewraithUK
07-25-2002, 01:20 PM
I've tried to change it in the program, but it didn't work - still tries to use esdplay - any ideas?

slartibartfast
07-25-2002, 01:39 PM
After u configure your new audio command you need to turn on the filters>Use Audio device option.

btw %n in the command line outputs the mob name, %c outputs the alert type - quite useful in batch files :)