PDA

View Full Version : showeq: cannot connect to X server..

help
07-18-2002, 08:44 PM
I'm a complete NOOB with this stuff. Been browsing through boards, just to be stuck. I use a hub with 4 computers connected to it. It's got 4 IPs, however only one computer in the house (mine) runs EQ. How do I program the IP into the config file? I'm using Linux Redhat 7.2. Thanks

fryfrog
07-18-2002, 09:04 PM
what in gods name are you actually asking? by the subject of your post i believe your error is that you are running as a "normal" user and using "su -" or "sudo su -" to gain super user root access. you just need to leave off the "-" as that tells it to take all the environmental variables of that user (and that user isn't running an X session, the OTHER normal user is).

as for programming it to watch a specific ip only, use the "--ip-address=x.x.x.x (the = sign is optional, i've recently discovered... a space will work just as well).

Dedpoet
07-18-2002, 09:33 PM
I'm probably opening a can of worms, but as fry mentioned, you didn't say what your actual problem is. Is Seq running, but not seeing your EQ session, or is it not running due to the Xserver error in your subject line? Those are two very different problems. Fry gave possible fixes for each, but if you only have one EQ machine, you shouldn't need the --ip-address switch at all, just click "Detect next EQ session" on the Network menu in Seq and then start EQ.

If that doesn't work, then it's possible that your hub is really a switch. /ducks :p

Edited a sentence for clarity...time to go to bed...