PDA

View Full Version : Make a router act like a hub... can it be done?

MrDeadMan
07-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Ok, first thanks to everyone who helped me get SEQ compiled, and a big thanks to whoever wrote the 'ShowEQ on Mandrake8.1 Fresh Install' guide. Your a life saver.

Now its my understanding that a hub would be ideal for ShowEQ since it sends the packets to all the computers conected to it, and lets them deal with where they go. I dont have a hub, and hope I dont have to buy one if it can be avoided. I do have a D-link DI-704P Ethernet Broadband Router.

Is there some way the router can be configured to send the everquest packets to both computers, or perhaps software on the EQclient computer to bounce the packets back to the SEQ box? Or do I just have to bite and buy a hub?

Mr. Suspicious
07-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Is there some way the router can be configured to send the everquest packets to both computers, or perhaps software on the EQclient computer to bounce the packets back to the SEQ box?

No that's not possible, unless your router is a professional multi K$ one.

high_jeeves
07-21-2002, 11:56 AM
You either need to buy a hub, or use your linux machine as the router, there are a few threads around on how to do this, if you are interested.

--Jeeves

LordCrush
07-21-2002, 02:11 PM
if you dont have a hub where do you connect the linux box ?

adenine!
07-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by LordCrush
if you dont have a hub where do you connect the linux box ?

Probably to the router.

Originally posted by MrDeadMan
perhaps software on the EQclient computer to bounce the packets back to the SEQ box?

That's an interesting idea. It would be pretty easy to make a program with winpcap that "mirrors" the packets directly to the Linux box, and every time someone complains about ShowEQ not displaying anything we could just have them download it and type in some IPs. :)

Cleric
07-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Networks that work with SEQ using Linux computer as router

Simple:

Internet Connection (Cable/DSL)
|
Modem
|
|
eth0
|
Linux Box (Can be using IP MASQ)
|
eth1
| (Direct Connect Cable [switched])
|
EQ Machine

Home Network:

Internet Connection (Cable/DSL)
|
Modem
|
|
eth0
|
Linux Box (Using IP MASQ)
|
eth1
|
HUB/SWITCH
|
|-------------------------------------------------- ~~~
| | |
EQ Machine Computer 2 Computer X...

Dedpoet
07-21-2002, 05:36 PM
That's an interesting idea. It would be pretty easy to make a program with winpcap that "mirrors" the packets directly to the Linux box

adienne was probably away when all of this was going on, but search for "udpecho". The other possibilities are to use your Linux box as a router (as described in other replies), or buy a hub. Honestly, a Netgear DSP-104 will only cost you $25. Plug that into your router's uplink port, and then your EQ and Seq machines into that hub, and you're set. You can probably get one on EBay even cheaper yet if you're into that sort of thing.

BlueAdept
07-22-2002, 07:22 AM
Dont even really need a hub.

You can also use a crossover cable.

Inet
|
|
Modem
|
|
Router
|
Linux
| (crossover)
Windows

(you would need 2 nic cards in linux)

Roads
07-23-2002, 09:47 AM
Bouncing anything off the EQ machine would be silly.. im sure it wouldnt be hard for VI to detect it once they learned it existed

i use netgear hubs for work and home SEQ systems they cost nothing.. and work forever...

wfj5444
07-23-2002, 10:29 AM
Actually some hubs/switches to port mirroring.

But usually if you use a swtich they can only mirror 1 port to another so 2 max. But then again, you need a hub not a switch.

BUT... It requires a managed device. managed = more $$

so I would suggest like others, go buy a $50 hub.