PDA

View Full Version : QT build Seg Faulting

Deminq
07-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Hello, I've been running SEQ the last 4 months no prob on Mandrake 8.1, I downloaded the new Mandrake 8.2 yesterday morning and installed with no hitches. Following the 8.1 install guide, I am segfaulting during the QT build at various stages, but more commonly when doing the tools directory.

I've verified all my paths are set correctly (building out of /usr/lib, then going to move it) and using qt-2.3.2 from the Trolltech ftp site. I have done several reinstalls of Mandrake just to make sure of a good install, and this last time, went straight into compiling qt once I logged in, so no other packages might interfere with it. I also set the g++-shared file to use 3.0.4 gcc and g++.

Segfaults, to my understanding, are generally a problem with the software itself, am I correct in assuming this? Is it possible that the download I am getting from Trolltech is being corrupted on the wire somewhere? I ran md5sum on my Mandrake iso's and they check out OK.

I haven't gotten around to compiling SEQ yet, but I tried once for giggles and it gave me the wicked error, which I expected.

Any ideas, suggestions at this point? I've spent several hours combing these boards looking for related topics, but none addressing the segfault during qt build.

I've read people getting SEQ to work on 8.2 so I know it's possible, if it comes down to it, I'll go back to 8.1 but I'm kind of anal in that I like to run the latest builds if possible.

Thanks.

edit: wrong Mandrake version.

I have also seen it segfault while building, then continue with the build and the segfault later on. Shouldn't the build end with first segfault?

high_jeeves
07-22-2002, 08:38 PM
I was going to wait for somebody else to answer this, but they all seem busy complaining about me in other threads, so here goes:

Is it gcc itself that appears to be segfaulting? If so, this can be caused be a number of things, including hardware/memory problems, or bad compiler install. It is generally not a source issue (if the source is bad, the compiler should error out, not segfault.. atleast one would hope so.. :) ).

I would try a few things:

1) Go check out groups.google.com, and type in the segfault message you are getting, somebody there might have more insight or a workaround.
2) Try a different version of QT (Should work with the 3.x versions, search these boards for more information).. this is kindof a hack, and could just be covering over a deeper problem.
3) Reinstall your compiler (might be easier said than done)
4) Reinstall mandrake, if it wont cause you too much pain.

If none of these work, you might want to take a look at your memory and HDDs, to make sure there are no problems there.

--Jeeves

Deminq
07-22-2002, 09:24 PM
The last build I tried doing, qt just exited the build, no error message at all, just an [error 2] and that was it, no segfault. It's going again, about 20 minutes into it with no hiccups yet.*crosses fingers* I've reloaded Mandrake about 4 times now, so a reload is no biggie :D

I thought about the memory thing, but was hoping it *might* be something else. I have extra lying around, so I can do a switch out to check if this compile fails.

I thought about the other versions of qt also, but I, like you, think there is something else awry and a newer version of qt may not help me track anything down.

I'll see how this compile goes, then may reinstall gcc3 and swap the memory out after that. It takes me awhile to track problems down due to I only mess with 1 variable at a time, hate making multiple changes and problem is fixed, but then I have no clue what was wrong to begin with :)

OK, failed while typing this, hehe. Time to start picking it apart piece by piece.

Thanks.

Deminq
07-22-2002, 10:14 PM
After looking around on the groups.google.com, then doing a search on my segfault error, the overwhelming consensus for that type of error was bad hardware. After replacing my memory, QT compiled just fine and SEQ is compiled and running happily again.

Maybe gcc-3.0.4 addresses different memory registers than 3.0.1 did *shrug* as I had just built qt just fine about a week or so ago on 8.1 (I like to mess around with Linux).

Anyways, thanks for the point to groups.google.com, had never used that aspect of Google and returned alot of hits.

Thanks again high_jeeves.