PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ Install Script

adenine!
07-25-2002, 03:38 PM
Well, this may be causing more problems than it's solving, so I currently reccommend not running it. If anyone still wants to take a look at it, PM or email me. I've tried each step of the script and seen absolutely no problems so I have no idea what the problem could be.

BlueAdept
07-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by adenine!
Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but each year lightning kills hundreds of people looking for it.

Heh...I see you have been to www.despair.com. Great site.

My sister has the pessimism poster in her office. Her nickname is Dark Cloud. She has a lot of bad luck....almost as much as me.

My two favorites are:

Despair - It is always darkest right before it goes pitch black.

Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

I think the last one describes me the best.

S_B_R
07-26-2002, 10:29 AM
My favorite one is Cluelessness (http://www.despair.com/demotivators/cluelessness.html)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

fryfrog
07-26-2002, 12:09 PM
i like the one that... damn, what is the title?

"sometimes the best way to improve moral is to fire all the unhappy peopel" :)

BlueAdept
07-26-2002, 01:34 PM
Hehe....
That is our companies motto.

One of these days, Im going to replace the real "Success" one in the executive office with the "Demotivation" one. See how long it takes for them to notice.

adenine!
07-26-2002, 09:53 PM
LOL nice thread hijacking. ;)

angry_penguin
07-28-2002, 04:10 AM
I've run your script in 2 frershly installed linux systems for testing.. one running gentoo and the other redhat 7.2 ... both times after installing it worked like a since.. BUT .. during boot up afterwards when mounting proc filesystem everything fails.. everything is pointed to /dev/null ... and the root filesystem is comming up read only .. hence resintall is only way i can find to fix it... (don't know if just installing does it but i'm sure it does.) the exact error (in redhat) is:

mounting proc filesystem: dup2: bad file descriptor [failed]
gre: /proc/mounts No such file or directory
Configuring kernel paramerters: dup2: bad file descriptor [failed]
setting clock (localtime) date.. dup2: bad file descriptor [failed]
Loading default keymap /etc/rc.sysinit: /dev/null: read-only file system...

it goes on .. and on .. and on ...

so as a warning to others.. dont run golden sk1pts that promise the world...

oh well.. back to reinstalling gentoo again...

adenine!
07-28-2002, 12:24 PM
I can't believe this script could be causing that. It doesn't touch anything currently installed on the system. I've run it on my own system with no problem after rebooting. Unless something the script installs is bugged, there must another explanation.

[edit] Also, it would help to know exactly what the script installed and anything else you did with the systems. The info posted is not going to do much to figure out what the problem is...

angry_penguin
07-28-2002, 12:39 PM
well .. it was a base install of redhat 7.2 .. with all developer packages selected... i tried this 2 times.. .both times the program was setup and worked .. but .. upon reboot it ended up in the same state... Nothing easle was installed.. or modified once the machine was done being installed... it was rebooted multiple times to be sure that the system was working 100%.

the same applies to the gentoo install...

adenine!
07-28-2002, 02:15 PM
You're apparently not the only one having problems so I took down the link...sorry for any problems it's caused, but I really can't imagine what could be happening. I rebooted my own system just to make sure and still no sign of problems. *shrug* any ideas would be appreciated.

Mr. Suspicious
07-28-2002, 03:33 PM
but I really can't imagine what could be happening

hum, hum... user-error =) Altho nicely meant, a lot (most) people even are capable of causing errors with 100% fool-proof scripts (and likewise with programms and systems). That's why I never recommend anyone to run an automated script: 1) they won't learn anything from it, 2) they don't know what it's doing and if they "fookup" they have no way of explaining exactly what they did (other then "dunno, I ran it") 3) as 2, but regarding system security.. I'm realy amazed at the ammount of people that BEG for a script or dll (on window$) that does X, install it and then find out one day their computer is hacked/filled to the edge with virrii.

In my airforce time we had this 10000% foolproof system developped for multi mln. $'s, the day after it was installed, a pilot came in, looked through his manual page one, pushed one button (the one next to the one he was meant to push) and caused a infinite-loop, shutting down the system on the entire airfield.... 10000% foolproof, riiiiiiiight =P

angry_penguin
07-29-2002, 06:11 AM
umm.. how can it be user error with a default desktop install and all the dev libraries loaded... to me that seems to be a perfect enviroment to test a script.

not trying to start a flame war but.. it just seems to me that this script needs some sort of special enviroment that was not stated..

lildr00d
07-29-2002, 11:33 AM
I allready have 2 SEQ machines running 7.2 and wanted to make a clean install of 7.3 redhat.

I installed RedHat 7.3 as Workstation with Developer tools and ran this Install Script. Went to bed and woke up the next morning with a working copy of RH 7.3 with SEQ.

Worked for me cant be all bad ;-)

Cryonic
07-29-2002, 12:14 PM
It was nice of you to take the time to create this script, but I don't know if it is good for SEQ for it to be widely available and therefore remove some of the cost to using SEQ (e.g. difficulty in getting it working).

Spenz
07-29-2002, 07:46 PM
I had the same problem as angry_penguin with a fresh install of RedHat 7.2. I upgraded to RedHat 7.3 and noticed /dev/null was a regular file in the middle of install. Not sure if I just didn't install the right package (I can't imagine this wouldn't be part of the base install), if RedHat 7.2 doesn't mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3 until sometime after the first reboot, if it's something the script does, or if this is even the cause of the problem.

The fix (if that is indeed the problem) is easy, after the install finishes and before reboot do the following as root: rm /dev/null;mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3;chown root:mem /dev/null

As far as creating barriers to the use of seq is concerned, I suspect the time has long passed since the main cost to using SEQ involved the installation of linux/gcc/qt/etc. - the help forum and tutorials that have been available for ages have made that trivial to all but the most technophobic of people. Installation of seq merely means you are capable of following step by step instructions. I would be willing to bet the need for an additional computer dedicated to linux is enough to deter the majority of EQ players from ever using it.

Not that I wouldn't support additional entry barriers. Anything that keeps seq off Verant's radar screen is ok with me.

Spenz

Cryonic
07-29-2002, 09:49 PM
To me it is a lot different for the person to have to read and follow the guides then it is for them to just run a script, walk away and come back and it is all done for them without them having really learned anything about what was done.

lildr00d
07-29-2002, 11:16 PM
I agree Cryonic. However if you read my post you would have seen that I do infact know how to install Linux and SEQ. But Im lazy all the same. Seemed like a waste of time to install it by hand YET again then to just use the script to get me back up and running.

But like you all I agree that haveing the script is a bad idea as it allows those who dont know how or dont want to learn how to install linux the unfair advantage of just sitting back watching it install for them.