PDA

View Full Version : New Graphics Card Problems

Aelorean
07-26-2002, 09:55 PM
I recently upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon 7000 on my linux machine and after some initial issues, have finally gotten KDE to work and ShowEQ works fine :)

However, since this upgrade (and also since my upgrade to RedHat 7.3), the lines of the "map" seem to disappear as I ZOOM in. In other words, the map looks perfectly fine at 1x, but then, as I zoom in, the map lines start to disappear until at about 5x, there are no map lines at all!!

Any ideas on this? It could very well be something set wrong in my new version of KDE, I really have no idea.

Thanks

high_jeeves
07-26-2002, 11:18 PM
This is a driver related feature in QT. QT lines are clipped to the edge of the window. It seems like some drivers throw away the clipped lines, other drivers clip correctly... other people have reported similar problems.

--Jeeves

Aelorean
07-26-2002, 11:22 PM
So, there's no way around it? Not even perhaps setting KDE to display at some ridiculously low resolution or quality? :(

high_jeeves
07-26-2002, 11:48 PM
No idea.. might want to try changing drivers (to a generic driver or something), or turning off acceleration.

--Jeeves

Aelorean
07-26-2002, 11:50 PM
That solved the problem!

I initially tried changing the driver from "ati" to "vga" ....that didn't work at all. However, when I changed it to "vesa", things seemed to work as good as new!

Dedpoet
07-27-2002, 01:25 PM
Sorry I got to this thread so late...what a slacker. Anyway Aelorean, if you want to go back to using the Radeon driver, this tidbit from Zaphod solved the exact same problem for me (laptop running a Mobile Radeon 7500). In your XF86Config file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI|Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
BoardName "Unknown"
Option "NoAccel"
EndSection

That way you can still use the Radeon driver, it just won't be accelerated. Not a big deal for 2D stuff.

Aelorean
07-27-2002, 02:30 PM
That works too; however, I'm noticing that everything works much better using that "generic" vesa driver and leaving the 3d acceleration on?

Perhaps it's just a quirk (3d accel might not be working anyway with the vesa driver). But, I can tell you that everything works faster and more efficient.

Dedpoet
07-27-2002, 08:41 PM
I will give that a shot. Do you just put "vesa" in for the driver instead of "radeon"?