PDA

View Full Version : I have a SMC router?? Will I be able to run show eq??

Shadowlord
07-29-2002, 02:19 AM
All my computers are linked up to my SMC router, then my SMC router is liked up to my cable modem.

Will there be problems runing showeq??
Could anyone tell me how I could make it work??

I know there as been posts about this, but I realy dont get it...

thx :)

Cleric
07-29-2002, 03:19 AM
I am pretty sure the router acts as a switch. You would need to see what the box says, but I think it is a switch.

If that is the case you would have to setup your machines like this:

Cable/DSL Modem
|
SMC Router----Other PCs
|
eth0
Linux Box
eth1
| (Crossover cable)
Game PC

So you would have to setup a linux box with 2 NICS, 1 hooked up to your router and the other to the gam PC, either with a crossover direct connect ethernet cable, or through some form of cheap hub. If for some reason the router act as a hub then you will be able to do it without the additional issues.

adenine!
07-29-2002, 04:03 AM
It would probably be easier to do...

Cable Modem
|
|
Router------Other computers
|
| (to hub uplink)
Hub-------Linux computer
|
|
EQ computer

Shadowlord
07-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Ok thx guys!!
Hope it works!!

BlueAdept
07-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Things to remember:

All routers are switches.
All switches are switches.
Some hubs are switches.

Switches do not work with SEQ. You will have to put your windows box and linux box on a true hub before your router.

Cleric
07-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by adenine!
It would probably be easier to do...

Cable Modem
|
|
Router------Other computers
|
| (to hub uplink)
Hub-------Linux computer
|
|
EQ computer

I agree, Was just figuring with the tools at hand, a NIC card is $10-$15 and a crossover cable is $5. A Hub would be great if they already have one - if not the Hub is not something I would want to spend money on if I didn't have to. Now, if they were going to want to monitor more than 1 gaming PC in the future, sure, buy a Hub :) The Hub will run $25+ and still need another cable.

Peace :)

Cleric
07-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BlueAdept
Things to remember:

All routers are switches.
All switches are switches.
Some hubs are switches.

Switches do not work with SEQ. You will have to put your windows box and linux box on a true hub before your router.

Well, the Hub can be before or after the router, as long as both the linux box and gaming box are hooked to it. The thing is, if you put the Hub in front of your router, you will have to be allowed more than 1 true IP address from your cable/DSL company. If you are only allowed have 1 IP address, then you must put the Hub behind the router or most likely nothing will work, or they will start billing you for using more than 1 IP.

As a note, my home setup is:

Cable/DSL
|
|
eth1
Linux Box
eth0
|
|
16-port SWITCH
|
|
8+ computers (any 4 of which could be running EQ)

This works fine, and I can monitor from 1 to all my EQ sessions at the same time if I want to on the linux box since it is acting as my router.

Peace

BlueAdept
07-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by BlueAdept

I dont know what I was thinking. You could really put it anywhere on your network as long as a line that has an inet connection is connected the hub and then you have the linux and win box attached to the hub.