PDA

View Full Version : SEQ after the Router NAT

Numbnuts
07-30-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm wondering if there is a way that the Showeq machine can appear after the router

In this config.

Cable (2 IPs)
|
10 Mb Hub
|----------------------------------|
SMC Router __________ Linux
|
100Mb Switch
|
|-----------------------------------|----------------------|
EQ1 __________________ EQ2 __________ EQ3

This way you can have all the benefits of a 100mb switch for copying between the computers
And still use a 10mb hub to reflect packets to the Linux and not have the linux on 24 hours just to surf the web?

I tried it just out of curiosity and of course the Linux wouldn't catch any packets. Or was a just using the 'look for next machine' and should've been using something else.

Cryonic
07-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Cable Modem
|
Router
|
Hub -> Linux
|
Switch
| | |
EQ EQ EQ

So the hub will broadcast all traffic coming to/from the net and the Switch will only handle the EQ machines.

Numbnuts
07-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Problem is....the switch is the router

Cryonic
07-30-2002, 10:24 PM
I'm guessing your ISP charges you for extra IPs. Save the money and spend a small amount on a dedicated switch for the EQ machines. Will cost you less in the long run.

bonkersbobcat
07-31-2002, 04:20 PM
If you can find a true 100MB HUB you could use that instead of the switch. (And put all 3 EQ machines, and the linux machine on that HUB.)

Cable Modem
|
Router/Switch
|
100MB HUB
| | | |
EQ EQ EQ SEQ

While I would agree that 100MB makes a difference over 10M on a home network. I don't agree that a switch vs a hub makes that much performance difference in a typical home network.

As has been said before, this config requires the hub to be a hub and not a switch or a hub acting like a switch.

I bring this up because a hub should be cheaper then a switch.

high_jeeves
07-31-2002, 04:26 PM
I agree with bonkers... Unless you are moving large files between 3+ machines at one time (frequently), a switch isnt going to give you any speed increase... Just go buy a $30 netgear hub..

--Jeeves

Numbnuts
08-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Owell,

I'll just use my 16 port 10M hub then. I wanted the 100mb powers but you are right, I don't use it all that often.

I didn't want to shell out the $60 for a 8 port 100mb HUB, and I don't really need all that much speed.

I also just realized that would also open my Linux box to attack and after reading how peeps get hacked under a few mins I don't want that.