PDA

View Full Version : How to find packets ?

JustACoder
07-30-2002, 07:07 PM
I'd like to know how to find what packets are what in a program? i'm looking into morphing SEQ for use in another on-line game.

high_jeeves
07-30-2002, 08:01 PM
Capture the data stream, and start to figure out what they mean.. there isnt really any magic to it.. Do an action, see what data is sent...

--Jeeves

JustACoder
07-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Would I need to setup a sniffing program to get that in the first place? I'm setting up a linux box soon, I just have to clean some stuff of the hard drive before I can wipe it out.

Cryonic
07-30-2002, 08:27 PM
setup SEQ, when you have it set right so you can see EQ data, then setup Ethereal to decode any packets/frames you want it to see.

bonkersbobcat
07-31-2002, 04:32 PM
Once you get SEQ working, look at its code. Look closely at the everquest.h file that defines packet structures. This may give you some insight in to how an online game may communicate with its client.

There are some diagnostic flags you can turn on within SEQ that show you packets captured and what SEQ thinks they mean. Turn these on, play the game, watch and learn.

Most important: Have fun.

Cryonic
07-31-2002, 04:56 PM
I wonder which would be better/easier in the long run. Editing SEQ to work with the other game, or just starting over with only a basic GUI framework in place.