PDA

View Full Version : SEQ comes up, and listens for my EQclient, but nothing happens after

woodlema
07-30-2002, 09:30 PM
After a great deal of juggling around, mathing the correct versions of all RPM's needed, the new 4.2.13 SEQ comes up properly, sorta. I have used the following commands to execute the program all with the same results which will follow
All executed from the /usr/local/bin directory with SU priviledges.

showeq
./showeq
showeq eth0
showeq eth0 --ip-address=<xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>
showeq eth0 --ip-address=<xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx> --mac-address=<xx-xx-xx-xx-xx?
showeq eth0 -P .......
showeq eth0 P -r ......

At each point the program executes, I get the GUI interface, and there are no pacets being captured.

I am using a D-Link 10/100 hub, I switchout my 10mbs, hub, switchout out my Linksys pcmcia card to a Netgear USB nic, then to a 10/100 Xircom nic. All with the same results.

I can execute programs like nmb, I can ping everything, I can ping and tracerout from my windows boxes to my SEQ box, and visa versa.

I have set SEQ to listen for the next EQclient, then zoned half a dozen times, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Cryonic
07-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Either the hub is still a switch (tcpdump is your friend) or the two boxen aren't negotiating with it to get the same speed (both 10 or both 100).

woodlema
07-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Tried to compile TCPDUMP, but had an issue, probably cause I was trying to compile the 3.7xx version.

At any rate, I did an ifconfig eth0 and the kernel gave me perfect replies, both nics are on 100mbs at the moment.

in the short second the utility rans, I recieved 900 packets, and transmitted 1300 packets.

No errors reported.

Cryonic
07-31-2002, 12:57 AM
redhat, mandrake, suse, etc... all come with a precompiled version of tcpdump on the install cds.

install it, use it and see if it is seeing more than just ARP and BROADCAST traffic from the other machine while it is surfing the net.

woodlema
07-31-2002, 03:36 AM
Well, I finally figured out the problem. It all goes back to basic diagnostics.

1) ping 127.0.0.1, if that succeeds, then your internal configuration is correct.

That means the problem is between the NIC and the hub/router/switch

Turns out, I decided to change the CAT5 cable on my Redhat 7.3 box and move it to my other laptop, and my other laptop went from 100mbps, to 10mbps.

Well the Cat5 cable was the entire issue.

So, if anyone is having packet loss, corrupted, packets, sheck your network cable first, then work to the more expensive componants.

I slapped myself on the forehead, and went DUH.

Thanks for the ideas, and replies.