PDA

View Full Version : Arq Seq Give Up Question

Dok
07-31-2002, 02:14 AM
*** If you still experience packet loss, which results in failure to decode,
*** set Network->Advanced->seq arq give up to a higher value! Recomend Broadband
*** users set to 128+ and modem users to 256+. Do not be afraid to crank this
*** value to 512 or better if that is what it takes.

Quick question. What does the "seq arq give up" do? Obviously theres a benefit for having a higher number for computers that have packet loss, but why not just have it set up to a high number by default? I guess what I'm really asking is what is the benefit for having a low number on a good connection, if any?

fee
07-31-2002, 03:06 AM
The ARQ is a sequencing number in the EQ protocol. The "give up" value limits how many consecutive arqs you are willing to cache while waiting for the expected packet. The result is a limit to the size of your packet cache can grow.

It was decided that this value should be reconfigurable on the fly for various reasons. Limited memory. A host not able to capture packets reliably.

So to answer your question, if you have a quality link with low latency and congestion between the EQ client and server, its not going to matter. Even the best connections will likley experience a level of packet loss requiring 96+ cached packets now and then. If you do not have issues, set the value to 256 and ignore it.

It has come to my attention this value is maxed at 256. I will be adjusting to code to allow up to 1024 and setting the application default to 256. Of course, any value the user sets will be saved in the preferences if the user chooses to do so.

HFB
07-31-2002, 02:52 PM
So does that mean I cant raise my ARQ set value to 512?

cuz I cant set it to 512.

high_jeeves
07-31-2002, 02:54 PM
It has come to my attention this value is maxed at 256.

I would say that 512 is greater than 256... so, until he makes the changes he discussed, you can set it no higher than 256 (if i had to guess, i'd say its really 255 :p ).

--Jeeves

Cryonic
07-31-2002, 03:46 PM
heh, 0 - 255 is 256 total spots :)

high_jeeves
07-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Yep.. I was just assuming that he is storing maxArqValue in a byte, and then using the standard programmer practice of doing a for (i=0; i < maxArqValue; i++).. effectively eliminating the last position. I could be wrong.. I havnt actually looked at the code.

--Jeeves

fee
07-31-2002, 09:27 PM
No matter how you count, starting from 0 to 1, an arq give up of 256 is the absolute value of 256. If you set 256, you get 256.

fee

Gullork
07-31-2002, 11:25 PM
This is really nice, and those last two updates have tremendously stabilized showeq. I don't say it enough but, great job!

With this now explained, it seems like this would be another question & answer to put into the FAQ by the decoding troubleshooting questions.

I was going to search for and ask about this tonight if I didn't find it, but I see it has been asked and answered before I even finished reading the new posts for the day. :)

fryfrog
08-01-2002, 06:49 AM
added to faq :)