PDA

View Full Version : Switch Recommendation

Cryonic
07-31-2002, 04:10 PM
I know this is gonna seem stupid, but I'm looking for some recommendations on a Switch. Yes, you read that right, a Switch. I need one to expand my network and the brand that I did use isn't made anymore (Intel InBusiness 8-port Switch). I know switches don't work with SEQ, but the layout of my network deals with that issue (DSL modem and SEQ box hook to a hub which uplinks to the rest of the network).

Went to the local Fry's Electronics to see what they carried, but wanted to get some other opinions on brands/model numbers.

Saw SMC, LinkSys, D-link, and a few others I hadn't heard of.

If I could afford it I'd get a Cisco, but I'm trying to stay under $80 for this upgrade.

P.S. I did do some searching here and elsewhere. Here I've only seen and could find recommendations for hubs that work with SEQ.

high_jeeves
07-31-2002, 04:23 PM
I like netgear personally, but linksys would be my second choice. I have had good experience with both. Have had a bad experience with an SMC box (fried itself after 4 months or so).. No experience with D-Link.

--Jeeves

bonkersbobcat
07-31-2002, 04:25 PM
Since you are looking cheap, the assumption is you want an unmanaged switch.

I personally like the Netgear equipment. They look nice and have plenty of blinky (diagnostic) lights. I have never had problems with Netgear hubs, switches, routers, or net cards.

NetGear was one of the first (only?) vendors to include Linux drivers for their net cards in the box.

NetGear was one of the first (only?) vendors to state on the box that they supported Linux.

nuf said.

Guygin
07-31-2002, 08:53 PM
Using Netgear for my expansion in my network - works great! I also tried my old Linksys paperweight - it worked as well too. I did have a brain fart with the Netgear when I used it to expand traffic to a couple of machines.... forgot to push the 'Uplink' button. The simple things make me crazy...... - but its only a short drive :D

Cryonic
07-31-2002, 10:03 PM
OK, thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll add netgear to my list of possibles (gets moved up from "who?").

Wonder if I have a toy bear I can put a switch into :) (If you don't know what I'm talking about search slashdot.org).

Gullork
07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
I really like netgear for the above stated Linux reasons.

My second choice would be Linksys.

However, I've dealt with them all and can't say as I have any issues with any of them. :)

Guygin
08-01-2002, 06:47 AM
Cryonic - that was funny stuff, hmmm I have my eye on one of my wife's favorites.<*begins to make bear-napping plans...........>

Yueh
08-01-2002, 08:24 AM
FWIW, I got a Linksys recently that only worked if you put it in the freezer for 5 min before you plugged it in :) 5 minutes of running the *screech* it stops. Not exactly a statistically significant data point but there ya go :)

I'm running both Netgear and Dlink and both work great. One little asthetic point. Netgear's ports are all on the front of the box. If you have it on top of a table where you can watch it, it makes for some interesting cabling rats nests. The Dlink and Linksys have the ports on the back and pretty lights on the front, much neater...

fryfrog
08-01-2002, 09:04 AM
i'd agree with the ports on the back thing. i have a linksys with ports on the front, and i TRIED to have it sit on the table, but at some point it just fell off and i decided it wasn't worth it. the newer linksys has the ports in the back... i tried to let it sit on my table to but i'll be damned if the cats don't constantly fall off the back of my monitor and pull it down anyway...

Yueh
08-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Just make the cats part of the solution. See the project involving the teddy bear :)