PDA

View Full Version : Problem downloading CVS, any other options?

Frank25
08-01-2002, 05:09 PM
I've tried to get my modem working on the laptop i run linux on but it's fubared.

For some reason (still working on this) i cant get it to run through my NT 4 server yet (any hints/help/programs to do that greatly appreciated).

My question, is there any other way to get the latest version of showeq then CVS?

anyone have tar.gz files of it or could make one available for me?

thnx in advance

S_B_R
08-01-2002, 05:37 PM
Nope

high_jeeves
08-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Umm.. how would you be able to get it by tar, if you cant get it by CVS? CVS is available for 10+ platforms.. Try searching on google to find a version of it for NT.

--Jeeves

Frank25
08-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Coz sometimes jeeves..i'm a complete and utter git.

I totally asumed since i started using linux some 7 years ago that CVS was a linux thing..

Thanks for opening my sometimes locked brain ROFL.

And the reason i could get it by tar and not CVS was coz i could just ftp the tar.gz files to my laptop since i have an ftp server runnin on it.

Been a long time since i fully used linux..knowledge has slipped a bit :P

Frank25
08-01-2002, 09:31 PM
Thnx for that tip, got a command line CVS program and got the tree downloaded.

If i copy these files to my linux box and try to do a make -f Makefile.dist i get this error

"Makefile.dist:256: *** commands commence before first target. Stop

I'm pretty sure it's because i'm using CVS on a windows based system and it's putting the files in wrong form.

Until i get this freaking built in modem working or find a good way to run linux through my NT server i'm stuck doing it this way.

Any help appreciated...:)

PS: i'm not a complete idiot usual hehe i have an older version of showeq working from a snapshot.tgz. just with the reason seqfaults i thought it prudent to upgrade )

Cryonic
08-02-2002, 01:23 AM
Builtin Modem is most likely a WINMODEM. To the best of my knowledge NO distro supports them right out of the install.

http://www.linmodems.org/

LordCrush
08-02-2002, 04:04 AM
I know the error when downloading with the win-cvs-client. I never looked deeper into it, but it seems to be a character-set problem win32 <-> linux. Be sure to use Ascii option in your FTP client... Just suggestion never tested it. You can also use a utility like recode.exe to convert the downloaded files to UNIX charset then gzip it and transfer it to your linux-box.

Here you find recode.exe for win32:

Win32 Unix Utils (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net)

convert textfile.txt from win to linux:

recode ibmpc..lat1 textfile.txt

convert textfile.txt from linux to win:

recode lat1..ibmpc textfile.txt

But if you use SEQ with EQ you *should* have a working network with a connection to the internet or you have another *little* :rolleyes: problem (or you use updecho).

fryfrog
08-02-2002, 04:52 AM
you might be able to convert it easier on linux, who knows. this is what i used when i needed to do it :)

mystique root # crlf --help
Usage: crlf <Command>*
Commands:
--help : print this help and exit
-v : change to verbose mode
-q : change to quiet mode - DEFAULT
-d : convert to dos (cr -> crlf)
-u : convert to unix (crlf -> cr) - DEFAULT
-Z : ignore DOS EOF marker (^Z) in conversion
-z : check DOS EOF marker (^Z) in conversion - DEFAULT
-b : create backup of changed files
-l : don't backup changed files - DEFAULT
-- : Ignore further options
<filename/directory> : file to change
& directories to recurse

Written by [email protected]

LordCrush
08-02-2002, 05:38 AM
Hehe nice info fryfrog ... you know people are lazy and use that what they know most about :D

high_jeeves
08-02-2002, 09:15 AM
It is definitely an FTP issue, not a CVS issue... I have many projects which I code on from both an NT and Linux box at the same time, CVS never has a CR/LF problems...

--Jeeves

Cryonic
08-02-2002, 09:17 AM
or use dos2unix on your linux box to convert the crlf crap to unix cr. and unix2dos to go back the other way.

Frank25
08-03-2002, 11:45 AM
thnx for all the help guys.

I finally said stuff it and just spend a nite whacking my ADSL into shape and got it runnin on my laptop )

all working and stuff...awesome program still )