PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 8.2 Missing g++-3.0.4

steveb
08-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Time to post.

I'm following the install guide and have carefully read the FAQ and done my searches and research. According to previous posts, it is necessary to replace the gcc and g++ with the -3.0.4 when making under MD 8.2. When i do so, and try to make qt i get:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
cd src/moc; make
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
g++-3.0.4 -c -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/include -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -DQT_NO_CODECS -DQT_LITE_UNICODE -I../../include -I../tools -I. -o mocgen.o mocgen.cpp
make[2]: g++-3.0.4: Command not found
make[2]: *** [mocgen.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
make[1]: *** [src-moc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
make: *** [init] Error 2
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2'
cd src/moc; make

--------------------------------------------------------

Looks to me as if g++-3.0.4 is NOT installed in MD 8.2. I checked my Package list, and it says that gcc is installed, byt the PM says that 8.2 comes with 2.96, NOT 3.0.4. I've read two conflicting things from the boards. One..that 2.96 is what MD 8.2 comes with, and one that MD 8.2 has 3.0.4. Further, when I try to download 3.0.4 and to update the package, it tells me that it is already installed. I guess im either dense, or stuck, or in the Twilight Zone. Any ideas guys?

:)

high_jeeves
08-04-2002, 01:40 PM
3.0.4 is not installed by default, you have to install it.. it is on one of the mandrake CDs. If it claims that it is already installed, then check to see if the rpm is already installed...

--Jeeves

steveb
08-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Yep, as usual HJ...Right on the money. For future Searches...The 3.0.4 g++ option is BURIED in the Mandrake 8.2 'Install Individual Packages' option under Devleopment/OTHER. Why in the world a company would include TWO versions of a compiler in a distribution, use the OLDER one as the default load, and HIDE the newer one under 'Other' is quite against my intuitive thinking, and probably many others. Anyway...qt (what the heck does that stand for, anyway...certainly not QuickTime LOL) is compiling as we speak..I'll post again when it's done.

THanks again Jeeves..you da man.

S

Aurelius
08-04-2002, 06:01 PM
If you don't have a problem with space on the hard drive durring the installation of Mandrake (whatever version you chose) I always select all the development packages to include the /other's. The only reason I am playing around with linux is for SEQ so I have no grief about installing something extra. Just an FYI. There might be a reason not to do this but I can't find any flaw with any of my installs now that I include all the developments.

Take it or leave it . ))

Good luck

Cryonic
08-05-2002, 01:25 AM
They come with both because a) they compiled all the packages with the older compiler and b) they still wanted it by default since unless you rebuild EVERYTHING with the new compiler you will break it all.

Under RH7.x if I try to recompile glibc with gcc 3.x.x the configure will error out with a warning saying that the system will not work if glibc is compiled with a 3.x.x compiler.

JasperNox
08-05-2002, 03:50 AM
must have disc 2..

Just select development as package type, click flat list.. shows you each package :) easier that way :)

steveb
08-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Yes, it makes sense. I do wish, however, that instead of grouping them by category, it was possible to see a simple flat, alphebetical list of the packages... it sure would make it easier to find things.

ANYWAY... after including the proper version of g++, and then downloading the missing library rpm, i got it working. Thanks for your help guys. I must say, Mandrake seems a lot more user-friendly than RH. RH didnt even support the graphics card I was using.

ANYWAY Things are working very well, and im learning more about SEQ :)

Have a great day!

S