PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Sharing and WinXP

Damoin
08-04-2002, 10:24 PM
I'll start out with my network config.

Cable modem *connected via USB* --> EQ computer *running WinXP and ICS to the Nic* -- > Hub --> Other computers, including the laptop with Mandrake on it.

Ok, needless to say that this config doesn't work right out of the box. I only have 1 IP with the cable modem, which is why my main box is set up with ICS. I'm not looking at buying any extra hardware, because come Sept. I'm back in the dorms and then I can hook my T3 drop right into the hub and screw all these problems. So I'm just looking for a temp fix. From searching on here I found UDPecho, but that doesn't detect anything, so that's a no go. Anything else I can do? Wasn't sure if just plugging the cable modem into the hub, turning on my EQ box so it gets the internet ip and then starting the laptop, also hooked up to the hub would work or not. I know the laptop wouldn't have inet access then, but I really don't need it while I play everquest.

I guess that's it. *Yes, it's a hub not a switch, yes I searched and all that jazz* Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but let me know if I did. Thanks guys!

fryfrog
08-04-2002, 10:34 PM
yeah, just hooking the laptop up to the hub and not telling it to get a dhcp address should work fine.

Cryonic
08-05-2002, 01:22 AM
You can even bring it up without any IP address (static or dynamic).

ifconfig eth0 up