PDA

View Full Version : Where'd my packets run off to?

jjg25
08-05-2002, 02:52 AM
Well, I've just spent the last 4 hours searching through the forums and I can't seem to figure out why my ShowEQ isn't working right. Here's the setup I have:

Cable Modem
|
|
|
Netgear Web Safe Router
|
|
|
Netgear 5-port 10/100 Hub
|
|
Win2K Box -------- Linux Box
(EQ) (ShowEQ)

(The lines aren't showing up right... the Win2k box and the linux box are connected directly to the hub, NOT each other)

I'm assuming this is the right kind of setup to get everything working, but I can't seem to sniff packets with ShowEQ. When I run tcpdump, I see some packets, but nothing to do with EQ.

EXCEPT!!! when I reset the hub, I get a ton of packets all at once with SOE and Sony and stuff... but then it stops.

One thing that I have noticed is that when I'm playing EQ, the transmit lights only show up for the EQ box and the connection from the Hub to the router, and the router to the cable modem. The linux box's connection rarely ever gets a transmit blink.

Finally, my ISP is Cox@home... my IP address is dynamic, thus the need for the router to have 2 computers. I also have the router set up as a DHCP server to automatically issue local IP addresses for both computers.

I've tried connecting everything in every way possible, but to no avail. And yes, both computers are running in 100MPS.

PLEASE HELP! Why is my Hub acting like a switch when it shouldn't????

LordCrush
08-05-2002, 04:12 AM
Hi,

first you can use the code tag (see vB Code Help) to make your post line up properly

Cable Modem
|
|
|
Netgear Web Safe Router
|
|
|
Netgear 5-port 10/100 Hub
| |
| |
Win2K Box Linux Box
(EQ) (ShowEQ)

Second I have never seen a Hub with a reset switch - I belive you have a Switch... Check your Netgear Doku

pinzmon
08-05-2002, 10:07 AM
If one machine is running at 10Mb and the other is at 100Mb, the hub will act as a switch. Force them both to the same speed if necessary.

Blade300
08-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Until I get my 3rd PC a 100/10 card instead of just a straight 10. My other 2 PC's are 100/10 cards. How do I force it to all use the same speed?

Thanks