PDA

View Full Version : EQ on Linux..?

Phantom
08-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Well, after just hearing about this program a few hours ago, I have come to the conclusion ( with the little information that I have ) that EQ runs on linux. I've only heard otherwise from everquest.com, which says you need some sort of Windows box. The FAQ says something like, "It would be strange if a mob with certain item popped and you rush over there in an instant," and since SEQ is for *nix OSs only, I figured in order to do it that fast the game has to be running or at least be able to run on linux. Which finally brings me to my questions:

1) Does EQ run on linux and if so is there some sort of patch or program I need to run it?

2)If it doesn't run on linux, do you actually find what it is you're looking for, if you're looking for anything, get off linux, boot into windows, get on EQ, etc?

The only reason put the long-ass paragraph before the questions is to explain my reasoning for the questions before I get burned to a crisp. I haven't had much experience with linux since Red Hat 6.0 which was uninstalled short after because of some bugs, numerous horribly slow/useless shells, *nix manuals, and a cisco router or two, so I'm not really sure what linux can/can't do

casey
08-09-2002, 01:16 AM
you need to find Everquest Patch version 1.2.2, dont remember where i got it, but heres a screenshot to help you so you know what it looks like.

http://www2.trifocus.net:8000/~casey/pics/eqpatch.jpg

thats uner X with twm as the window manager, but feel free to use the wm of your choice. good luck!

edit: click the link, pic is too big for the thread :)

JustACoder
08-09-2002, 03:30 AM
To my knowlledge EverQuest cannot be run off of linux. If it can i'd love to get rid of windows and up the stabilitiy of my main box. You may have gotten the wrong idea of what Show EQ does. It "shows" ever quest precisely what it says. you run two computers, run on windows and running everquest and the other box running on linux with seq sniffing packets from your windows box. when the EQ servers tell you where the mobs are the the linux box picks it up and displays everything the server is telling you in the window. the program is well worth the bitch to compile and put together.

Phantom
08-09-2002, 11:10 AM
Oh, I see. I don't know why I never thought of the two boxes thing. And since this I don't know where this patch is, maybe once I get a new computer, my shitty old one can run linux and Show EQ. That's just wishful thinking, though. I planned on dual booting my new one with Gentoo on one drive and XP (Ugh...) on the other. Thanks, anyway.

loiloi
08-09-2002, 08:39 PM
I run EQ and SEQ on the same computer... More or less.

I'm currently using SuperX (any Win32 X-Server will do) to host my X clients (like SEQ) which run remotely on my linux box. I have 2 network cards in the linux box, one going to my brother's hub, the other to mine so we can both launch a copy(ies) of SEQ on the win box along with EQW. If you run it like this you can get away with a really low end CPU for your linux box (but I don't recommend as that's counterproductive to any development you might ant to do. Just has 2 network cards, crap videocard (which makes sense since there's no monitor plugged into it) and no keyboard or mouse :)

Best way to be able to access both operating systems on one computers since Win32 has nothing that can even compare. You can even get great performance running seq off someone's machine across the inet (but of course you get their packets, not yours :)

So anyway, yeah you can run eq and seq off the same computer (more or less) and save the expense of having to buy a monitor. (I need my other monitor for my other computer running my other copy of eq, after all :)

loiloi
09-07-2002, 04:51 AM
After messing around with VMware some without starting up XWindows -- it's the graphics emulation that really crawls, I'm thinking you might be able to use this technique to run seq and eq totally on one windows box and get decent performance.

troll
09-07-2002, 05:07 AM
I remember there was this company http://www.transgaming.com/ who was trying to port over games one by one to run on Linux. Not sure if they are still doing it or what their progress is, last I checked EQ was really way down on the list.