PDA

View Full Version : error booting after loading SHOWEQ

Sneaky
08-09-2002, 08:30 AM
After loading RedHat 7.2 and selecting KDE desktop, I can shut down linux and restart in any desktop I like (kde or gnome) but after I load SHOWEQ and shut it down the next time I restart the machine I get the following error.

ld "X" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

This has happened to me on 2 different machines...I have tried reloading 4 times and always get the same error.

I thought it might be a problem with the video cards I was trying to use, but I tried others and nothing fixed it...

It appears to attempt to initialize the GUI but cannot and gives this error.

Anyone else seen this problem...

fryfrog
08-09-2002, 09:05 AM
did you try searching?

i'm not 100% sure, but i do seem to recognize the general idea of the problem. i am pretty sure it HAS been discussed, but maybe only once. might be kind of difficult to unearth the post.

i THINK it turned out that the guy was doing something else at the same time that made him think it was seq but it really wasn't.

did you create a SECOND qt dir compiled with gcc3? or did you just go in and compile your ONLY qt using gcc3? cause that is what it sounds like the problem COULD be.

your distro NEEDS a version of qt (depending on what version of kde) compiled with YOUR DISTRO's compiler AND showeq needs a SEPERATE copy of qt compiled with gcc3.

domesticbeer
08-09-2002, 09:08 AM
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/faqs/linux_faq_AEN3482

Check that page

Sneaky
08-09-2002, 11:34 AM
First of all, yes I tried the search here and on REDHAT.COM. I found the information that is posted under the link. I was looking to see if anyone else had the problem and what they did to fix it. The information posted in that link is in Linuxeeze. where I am not a total linux noob, I still am a novice when it come to command line function and troubleshooting. Anyone else have any ideas?

Cryonic
08-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Seems like a valid solution. Try picking up a book and doing some reading for yourself. It's not our fault that doesn't make sense to you.

Sneaky
08-10-2002, 08:53 PM
I got by the error.

You are right, it is not your fault I do not understand it, but with a tude like you have it is no wonder that you have time to have your nose in books reading all about this stuff...grow up

Cryonic
08-10-2002, 10:20 PM
I get paid to support servers running Solaris and Linux. Guess what I do when I run into a problem, I read a book that I spent money on. I got the job because I took the initiative on my own time to learn. Google became my best friend as did O'reilly and other book publishers.

sauron
08-15-2002, 06:35 PM
This is a HELP section is it not? Why tell someone that its not your fault that they don't understand something? Maybe this is the NOHELP section? He said he didn't understand it, and needed help.

They ask for ideas and you say, "hey, it's not my fault you need help --- let me reply to your question with remark that implies that you are stupid."

I guess this is why I don't read this section too often. It seems like every post I read asking for help gets this same type of response. "Sorry we can't HELP you... try the search button. That's really all I can offer you except that did I forget to tell you that you are a MORON for asking?"

Maybe it would be better if they were just ignored instead of saying "use the search" and calling them a moron. I also keep seeing that we are trying to keep the layman from using ShowEQ. Ingoring them seems easier, and more polite.

This post isn't directed toward just one person -- just the posters of the many derogatory replies I've read recently. And I know no one probably cares what I say, so why am I posting? Because it bothered me I guess.

Peace,
Sauron

Cryonic
08-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Actually this is the SHOWEQ help forums, not the general help forums. Want those? go find a general linux forum, or IRC channel, or local user group, etc...