PDA

View Full Version : SEQ with Linksys

realm
08-10-2002, 12:37 AM
ok ok ok, I know the faq, flamers, devs all say SEQ will not be able to hear the packets from my eq box with a Linksys 4port cable router (switch). BUT - is there any workaround?

Yesterday I fixed up my old comp, read a little about linux, downloaded mandrake. Today (after lots of reading/searching on this board), I installed linux and showeq successfully.

The only thing holding me back now is my damn router.... Im sure it is possible (some how) to make the linux box into a hub and plug into the uplink portion of the router. But im not sure how to do this, im no computer guruu.

So is it possible in any way to get seq to work without buying new hardware (true hub)?
If so, where could i read/study up on this subject?

-Thanks

ps - all "RTFM" and "Do a search" post whores can chill out, i've read and searched but I know there is always alternatives.

dbrot
08-10-2002, 12:46 AM
Either set your linux box as a gateway and all your computers will go thru it or go to Compusa and purchase a cheap 5 port 10 Mbs hub for $15.

fryfrog
08-10-2002, 05:24 AM
there are NOT always alternatives. if someone tells you that you have a ONE WAY VALVE, you don't turn around and ask them if it will work as a two way valve do you?

a SWITCH is a SWITCH, its design is to NOT transimit packets to every port. if it WERE designed to do that, it would be a HUB (what you need).

so, if you don't want to setup your linux box as your internet gateway device (i assume this is the case, since you already own a hardware firewall w/ 4 built in ports) go buy a hub (a true hub) and hook it to your switch.

realm
08-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Ok, I went out and bought a hub:
- linksys 10/100 5-port hub

my setup goes as follow:

eq and linux box -> hub -> router -> modem

when starting up showeq, it still is not getting any information from eq.

as far as search results, technically, i have everything set up correctly. have all files i need, clean install of linux, qt and seq compiled perfectly with no error. how would i go about troubleshooting this?

high_jeeves
08-10-2002, 06:30 PM
i've read and searched but I know there is always alternatives.

You did a piss-poor job of searching. If you had actually searched or READ THE FAQ, you would find that ALL modern linksys "hubs" are switches! I love it when people come along and make comments like:

ps - all "RTFM" and "Do a search" post whores can chill out

And then their lack or "RTFM"ing or searching bites them in the ass. Go read the FAQ, go search, then go return the SWITCH you bought, and go buy a hub.

--Jeeves

realm
08-10-2002, 06:40 PM
i talked to the people at compusa and asked
Is this a true hub or a switch? ....I was assured it was a true hub so, regretibly, trusted their "knowledge". so much for compUSA knowing wtf they are talking about.

and thanks jeeves... if there is one thing ive learned on this board is that you can always count on jeeves to spam his post count with use search on every thread. I swear, theres one on every board.

high_jeeves
08-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Yep, there is always one guy who posts the answers.. and there always a TON of morons that cant even read the FAQ. I reference the following two items for you to read (although, to this point, you have shown that you dont bother to do that).

1) From the very top of the very first page on these forums:

Read this before asking any questions. Then use use this. After you have read and used both options, then and ONLY then should you ask your question. If your question is answered in either of those two locations, EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read. You have been warned.

With links to the FAQ and the search page.

2) From the FAQ:

4.5 - For some reason even though I compiled and run ShowEQ, no map is loaded and no mobs or other info is shown. Is ShowEQ broken?
No, chances are pretty good that you are using a switch instead of a hub. To get the information that you are seeing in EverQuest, that data has to be seen by the Linux computer as well. A switch directs traffic only to the two computers (nodes) involved. A hub broadcasts all traffic to all nodes that are connected to it.
If you are connected to the internet with your EverQuest computer using a directly connected dial up, DSL, or cable modem and have another NIC in your computer Microsoft Windows will not broadcast the packets out over the second NIC.

99.9% of the time those Residential Gateway/Routers made by LinkSys, Dlink, etc... with X number of ports are switches. This means you will have to plug all your computers into a real hub, then uplink that hub to your router/gateway.

Another recent "feature" of many current hubs is that in a most situations, they will behave as switches. This sucks, but can be worked around. Typically, the 10mbit and the 100mbit section of a 10/100 hub are switched. So if EQ is 100mbit and SEQ is 10mbit, they won't see each other's traffic. Also, if a 10mbit device is hooked to the 10/100 hub it will frequently become a REAL hub on the 100mbit section. So, if your router is 10mbit and your SEQ and EQ boxes are 100mbit all hooked to the same hub-switch, you should probably be able to sniff packets! This is true for most LinkSys hubs, and some Netgear and Bay Network hubs.

It is the exact question you asked, followed up by the answer, which SPECIFICALLY says that linksys hubs are switches.

ALL of the answers to ALL of your questions were in a document that people here (especially fryfrog) spent alot of time organizing into a FAQ. Instead of wasted 2 minutes of your time finding the answer for yourself, you decided instead to waste everyone elses.

So, you can bad mouth me all that you want, but you are the one who failed to read once, then after being told to go read the FAQ, you failed to read a second time... I think even those people on these boards that dont like we would agree that you should have been flamed for this one.

--Jeeves

realm
08-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Typically, the 10mbit and the 100mbit section of a 10/100 hub are switched. So if EQ is 100mbit and SEQ is 10mbit, they won't see each other's traffic. Also, if a 10mbit device is hooked to the 10/100 hub it will frequently become a REAL hub on the 100mbit section. So, if your router is 10mbit and your SEQ and EQ boxes are 100mbit all hooked to the same hub-switch, you should probably be able to sniff packets!

also from the FAQ and your post.

or do you just read the first few sentances?

realm
08-10-2002, 07:12 PM
and to follow up...

problem solved, showeq now working -with- my linksys hub and router..... maybe you should rethink your elitist attitude mr. smartypants.

edit: spelling is my friend

Aurelius
08-10-2002, 07:39 PM
I'd like to know how you 'did it' myself. The only way I can envision this is you made your linux box the portal thru which your other puters contact the web. Please explain.

high_jeeves
08-10-2002, 07:53 PM
also from the FAQ and your post.

or do you just read the first few sentances?

I know.. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that wrote that (If I didnt put it in the FAQ, I certainly wrote it a long time ago in various posts). But, that only seems to work on 1-2 models of linksys. You have STILL proven my point tho. You READ the FAQ and solved your own problem, so while you may have a problem with me, my response to your question resulted in you getting a working showEQ.

I earned the right to be an asshole here by helping to answer hundreds of questions, and helping to write the FAQ. You on the other hand are just an asshole because you acted like a moron, ignored all of the FAQs and posts on this board, and then got called on it.

In short, your stuff works. It ONLY works because you were pointed to the answer directly by somebody (me in this case). You are pissed at me, because I called you out for being a moron (but DID answer your question in the process). If you want someone to answer all your questions with no work from you, and suck your dick while they do it, you are in the wrong place.

I strongly recommend that you go read the smoothwall manual, it has an excellent section on internet forums, and how to act in them. I think you will learn quite a bit about how to find answers in FREE internet help forums which support FREE products.

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
08-10-2002, 07:56 PM
I'd like to know how you 'did it' myself. The only way I can envision this is you made your linux box the portal thru which your other puters contact the web. Please explain.

As has been described before:

Many cheap "hubs" have a switch in them. That switch can act in one of two ways it can either switch between 10/100, or switch on a single plane (100 only or 10 only). If the device has only one plane active, then it acts as a switch on that plane to speed up transmission, if both planes are active then it will become a hub on EACH plane, and a switch BETWEEN them. Note: this only works on a very few (2 that I have seen actually) linksys hubs. It DOES NOT work on routers IFIAK.

--Jeeves

rramsey
08-11-2002, 05:15 PM
You CAN make showEQ work though a linksys router (with a small caveat).

Go to Advanced, to Ip Forwarding and forward ports 1000-7000 to the ip address of your showEQ box and it WILL work...

The one issue i found by doing this is that i don't get updates for the character i am playing for some reason.

high_jeeves
08-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Yep.. home routers only forward incoming traffic, not outgoing.. so its only semi-useful, you dont get player update, and a few other client -> server things.

--Jeeves

Tucc
08-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Jeaves has the tact of an ape~

Mr. Suspicious
08-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Jeaves has the tact of an ape~

Most people rather see someone with the tact of an Ape that's helpfull, then a Troll that's not helpfull in any way.

BTW: Who is "Jeaves"? A search on username "Jeaves" does not pop up any messages.

RavenCT
08-12-2002, 12:11 PM
I tell ya, I'm kind of sick of hearing from people saying they don't have any money to go out and buy a "true" hub! It took me all of five miutes to find this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2045727806

If people have enough money to buy or put together another computer that can run it, then they can afford the $10 for this 5 port HUB on ebay! That's probably not even the cheapest!

Additionally, I don't know how many times people have to be told not to get a linksys because of all the problems with this! If there willing to spend the money on a linksys, they can easily get a different one cheaper that's just a hub. If there worried about the speed for other things, then plug the machines into the 100mb switch when you want to copy stuff, then back into to the hub to use SEQ. That's what I do!

Bah! /Rant-rave-fume off

Aurelius
08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
I use the Linksys cable/router switch to connect from my modem. I did this because I had it before I was serious about the Seq project. Then I just bought an eight port 100 speed router and daisy'd it to the linksys. So, not only did I remedy the problem I actually increased my port availability. )) There are some really low cost items avail now. Just look around )))

Tucc
08-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Oh no! Mr. Suspicious defender of all that is right! to the rescue!

Let me just say this, as someone who is a sys admin, and a WAN tech. Telling people to RTFM and being 'search' nazi's doesn't solve a damn thing. People are STILL going to post questions that have been answered a million times, and people are STILL going to ask questions that were covered in the FAQ and Mans.

The only service you guys do yourselves by being 'search nazi's'. Is that you a) appear to have no tact b) look like assholes.

Every time I have a problem, I personally use google, but when I have tried to search some minor things here, I came up with mostly threads with questions, and then a search nazi telling the poster to use the search engine.

Moral of the story. Be a newbie for a day. Be completely clueless and not a pompous asshole.

S_B_R
08-12-2002, 03:16 PM
NOT AGAIN!!!
STOP THIS THREAD!!!
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

rramsey
08-12-2002, 06:34 PM
[ignoring above post]

As an extension to Tucc's post, which I applaud, if the manual were concise enough and had enough information, people would not ask... but the fact is:

- ShowEQ expects you have 'some' Linux expertise, which a lot of people don't
- ShowEQ expects you have a moderate amount of network expertise, which most people don't hence linksys routers.
- ShowEQ expects you to read between the 'very' grey lines of documentation and magically come up with an answer. In lieu of that seek the help of your peers, which can't happen because our peers here are as insolent as the documentation is bereft of comprehensive troubleshooting.

In the time it takes someone to post a message saying "RTFM", why don't you use your expertise to help or STFU. If reading a message thread with people asking for help is too much to comprehend, then don't read it, but don't bash the people that need help and alienate the people who DO want to help.

For everyone that says RTFM, why don't you put your big mouths to work and make a Linksys FAQ if all the information everyone could ever want is on this board... I think you will find it very lacking.

high_jeeves
08-12-2002, 06:53 PM
Ok.. I swore I wasnt going to get into this, but the absolute lack of education around here blew my mind, so:

- ShowEQ expects you have 'some' Linux expertise, which a lot of people don't
- ShowEQ expects you have a moderate amount of network expertise, which most people don't hence linksys routers.
- ShowEQ expects you to read between the 'very' grey lines of documentation and magically come up with an answer. In lieu of that seek the help of your peers, which can't happen because our peers here are as insolent as the documentation is bereft of comprehensive troubleshooting.

THAT IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT. We dont want everyone to be able to use this project. WE WANT IT TO BE DIFFICULT, WE ARE NOT HERE TO PROVIDE ANSWERS AND BLOWJOBS TO PEOPLE WHO CANT READ DOCUMENTATION TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES.

In the time it takes someone to post a message saying "RTFM", why don't you use your expertise to help or STFU. If reading a message thread with people asking for help is too much to comprehend, then don't read it, but don't bash the people that need help and alienate the people who DO want to help.

Heres the deal, when ShowEQ start paying me ATLEAST my current salary to spend all day answering the same question on these boards 3 times a day, USERS WILL HAVE TO DO THE WORK BY THEMSELVES. So, if you are interested in fronting the money, please let me know, and I'll let you know where to send the check. Until then, you get what you pay for.

For everyone that says RTFM, why don't you put your big mouths to work and make a Linksys FAQ if all the information everyone could ever want is on this board... I think you will find it very lacking.

This one made me laugh so hard that I almost fell out of my chair. There are ATLEAST 2 points in the FAQ that deal with Linksys hubs, and routers. How many arrows do you people need? How about this.. between every sentance I write on these boards from now on, I will put the following:

Linksys hubs are switches. Routers are switches. Switches do not work for ShowEQ.

Would that make it clear enough? So, I'll say again, what I continue to say. Until someone else around here starts answering questions with sugar and smiles, you got me, and Mr. S, S_B_R, and Mr Guy, and the few other people who answer questions on these forums. Just for fun, I checked out you and Tuccs contribution to these boards. You asked one question (which was answered in the FAQ, and the Install file, and EVERYWHERE on these forums). Then all of your other posts are complaining because I wasnt at your house in 15 minutes setting it up for you. So far, Tuccs posts are bitching about me, and telling somebody that he should just delete everything and start over if he gets a segfault. You might not like what I do around here, but atleast I contribute to these boards. If you want to contribute, feel free. If you want to bitch about how I contribute, go away.

Thats it for me on this thread, I'm tired of defending all of the help effort that I have put into this project. Please, step up to the plate and be helpful. If you cant, or wont, then just go away.

--Jeeves

dbrot
08-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Is helping others in this forum not what the "Showeq >Help< Desk" is all about? The man/woman/person asked a simple question. So what, he/she/it did not do a search, that does not mean they need to be relentlessly flamed. If you do not have something constructive to input into a forum then please keep you flamingness to yourself. :D

First, is your the NIC in both your EQ computer and ShowEQ computer running at the same speed.:confused:
If one is running at 10 Mbs and the other is running at 100 Mbs then they will never hear each other.

Second, are you using the correct network cables. Are you using a cross-over cable or a straight-thru cable?

Third, can both of your computers get out to the internet and ping each other?

Fourth, are you pointing ShowEQ to listen on the correct IP address. /usr/local/bin/showeq -i eth0 192.168.1.xxx? Or what ever your EQ computer's IP address is.

Thank you,
Come again

Tucc
08-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Jeeves: I'd like to know who has the gun to your head forcing you to 'search nazi' people. Your argument goes both ways.

As for not wanting this project to be easy, I'd say in the long run, you're an idiot. Getting more people to use linux advocates less use of microsoft products. Do you see what I'm getting at? Or does my 'lack of education' burden your brain too much to translate my incoherent garble?

This is a help forum, while sometimes you do help people, I'd say 90-95% of the posts I've read from you were 'search nazi-esque' posts. You being a 'search nazi' does absolutely no good by the way. People still come here asking the same questions. Tell me what exactly you've accomplished by reacting to questions in this manner? I'd say any accomplishments would be scaring people away from not only SEQ, but Linux as a whole, congratulations, you're a certified asshat.

Tucc
08-13-2002, 02:17 AM
Oh and as for your ---------"Then all of your other posts are complaining because I wasnt at your house in 15 minutes setting it up for you"--------------

This was incredibly funny to me. You're so blind.

fryfrog
08-13-2002, 05:19 AM
dbrot, the original poster was able to solve his problem using a suggestion found in the faq :)

and everyone who is flaming people who help but also sometimes have to send out the old "read the faq, use the search" please do us all a favor. please contribute in the way that you ask us to.

you say, don't post "use the search feature" but what do you think happens when all of the people who know how to solve the problem ignore the thread? the person either doesn't get any help at all or someone who means well but doesn't really know what the problem is offers advice. if you don't like the "use the search" posts, please feel free to solve the same problem over and over again for people who were to lazy to read the faq, or who just some how missed it...

oh, and tucc the reason we don't want many people using showeq (not linux, showeq) is so that vi doesn't start to feel that seq is a threat because so many players are using it. that to is answered in the faq! have you read it?

Tucc
08-13-2002, 09:50 AM
I'm a male, I do not read manuals or FAQ's. I mash buttons until it works, then when it doesnt I come to the boards and pester people for information, ask questions that have already been answered either here or in the manual.

I'm joking of course, but you do realize this is what MOST users end up doing, it's just human nature.

high_jeeves
08-13-2002, 10:05 AM
I think you will find that you are wrong. Since the FAQ/Documentation/Walkthroughs have been written, the number of stupid quetsions a day has been reduced significantly (From 5-7 a day to 1-2 a day). Rationalize all you want, but quite a few people DO read, and DO get it set up without annoying everyone.

--Jeeves

Tucc
08-13-2002, 01:59 PM
If the posts annoy you so much, I'd just like to know who is twisting your arm to read here, and/or post.

That's my point. Whether my rationalizations are relevent are not is not the point.

Cryonic
08-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Who's twisting the other peoples arms to use this program or the developers to keep it alive? The main page has a warning on it and links to the FAQ and Search pages. Don't use them and you ask a question that is dealt with in either of those, EXPECT to get flamed. No one is forcing anyone here to do anything. We can't make people read the stuff that has been posted, but it doesn't mean they are off scott free for posting without reading.

domesticbeer
08-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Probably the same reason you keep replying to this thread, and the same reason I read the SEQ message boards.

On the off chance I may be able to help contribute to the project with some code or help someone else.

I am not defending jeeves, Mr. S., S_B_R, or CoolGuy. We have butted heads and after the butting of heads which males tend to do. Knowledge was passed, and questions got answered and problems were fixed.

Everyone here seems to demand a product that they can install Redhat/Microsoft-esque. SEQ is not that type of software. To install SEQ takes some knowledge and if you cant seem to figure how to search and do a deep level search then there will continue to be flame wars and he need for "Search Police"

LordCrush
08-13-2002, 02:51 PM
Hmmm,

i read through this thread - when i started with SEQ i new NOTHING about linux or unix other than i got from a course at the University... A friend told me some Basics. The other things to know i found in the forum or on other places in the web...

if you want to know something it __IS__ possible for __everyone__ to use the search (on more than one place) to get information and to think a little over the search - i mostly got the info not with the first try :) ... But dont bother people with questions which are answerd 5 to 50 times in this forum ( ok - not 50 - but 40 flames which point into the right direction - flames have infos too :D )

Just my 2 cp

/wave

sauron
08-15-2002, 06:18 PM
Seems to me that his original question was "I know all the FAQs, etc. say that you can't do this, but IS there a workaround to get ShowEQ to work with my Linksys switch".

And eventually someone said to the effect of, "forward ports xxx-yyy and you can get most of it to work, but not all of it".

Now I think this is what he was looking for...

And it's one thing to say that this info is in the FAQ and search for it, and another to call the guy a moron when you don't even know him at all.

Hmmm... I just never liked name calling on the boards.

Sauron

RavenCT
08-15-2002, 09:04 PM
I want to reiterate a seperate post:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1771

Read it, you'll understand!

Here's just part of it:

---------------------------------------------------------------

As for the LINKSYS routers/hubs, I only have to say that I've seen it at least 20 times through out the FAQ's, documentation, and posts that for the most part THEY DON'T WORK CORRECTLY WITH SEQ! Not that there isn't a work around with re-routing the packets, but personally, I wouldn't want to do this...

I just find it hard to believe that someone would make a post with "I know that everyone has said that Linksys routers don't work, but I don't want to hear that and there must be a work around so don't flame me for asking a question that I already know the answer too but I didn't like the answer."

calikoala
08-17-2002, 12:39 PM
I currently use a linksys 5 port hub model number ew5hub

no problems encountered

monster69
08-17-2002, 03:20 PM
I also use this hub/switch.

It is a true hub in the sense that if the SEQ and EQ box are both running at 10Mb, or both are running at 100Mb it will repeat on the ports just like a hub should. However, it also switches between 10Mb and 100Mb. In this case if one box is running one speed and the other box is running the other speed....It won't work.

This is not an endorsement to use Linksys. There are NUMEROUS posts of people having problems. I have not ever had these problems with any of the Linksys devices I have owned, but I am in the minority.

Monster

high_jeeves
08-17-2002, 04:14 PM
It is a true hub in the sense that if the SEQ and EQ box are both running at 10Mb, or both are running at 100Mb it will repeat on the ports just like a hub should. However, it also switches between 10Mb and 100Mb. In this case if one box is running one speed and the other box is running the other speed....It won't work.

Unfortunally, this statement is false by omission. MOST Linksys hubs will switch even on the same plane. All hubs switch across hubs (its an absolute requirement of any multispeed device). SOME Linksys hubs will act like a hub on the same plane when the following conditions are met:

a) The sniffer and machine to sniff from are on the same plane (this is true for ALL hubs)
b) There is a third device on the hub, which is on THE OTHER plane.

This does not work with all Linksys, but does with some.

--Jeeves

Cleric
08-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Couple small points of advice:

High_Jeeves - if you see a post you think is stupid, just don't answer it ;) Then we won't have to see the flame. I commend you for helping with the FAQ, but that doesn't mean you have to nuke people on here when you think they are morons. It boils down to, if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing

To anyone else out there that has some modicum of civility, even to people that are total n00bs to all of this (and I may do this myself in the future), pull together a quick cut and paste document with all the little links to any pertinent information (like that some linksys hubs act as switches) so you can just pop them into a reply :) Note, you CAN use a linksys router and/or hub and still have ShowEQ work - you may just have to use a slightly different setup - for instance having your linux box directly connected to your EQ box via a crossover cable and then have the linux box act as a router for your EQ box. Not the most elegant solution, but it will work. There are problably DOZENS of ways to set this up, and even if you get stuck with a switch, you can make it work.

To anyone else out there that actually decided to read this far down on this thread, and you really don't have a clue about what you are doing, please take the time to read the FAQ, and use the search option, it really does help. Not to mention you may not get flamed by people who lurk on these boards with nothing better to do than show how l33t they are.

ShowEq is a great help to play EQ, but it does require a small level of computer smarts to get it to work. The guys that actually wrote it, and program it are great for the service they provide to us - for free - and we should all be grateful for that. No one has any right to claim any other honor here than the guys that actually write and maintain the code.

Peace :)

Cleric
08-18-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by RavenCT
I want to reiterate a seperate post:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1771

I just find it hard to believe that someone would make a post with "I know that everyone has said that Linksys routers don't work, but I don't want to hear that and there must be a work around so don't flame me for asking a question that I already know the answer too but I didn't like the answer."

I use a 16-port linksys SWITCH in my setup, and I can monitor every computer on my network with my ShowEQ box. The point being that anyone making the statement that the Linksys switches or hubs do not work is not totally valid depending on your setup. There are DOZENS of ways to setup your network to work with ShowEQ. My setup:

DSL/CABLE
||
||
eth1/ppp0
LINUX ShowEQ Box (IP Masq)
eth0
||
||
16-port Linksys SWITCH
||----||----||----||----||----
PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4 PCx

I could even have a DSL/CABLE Router hooked up to my DSL/CABLE as long as I used the LINUX box to act as an internal router for my PCs running EQ. This may be more complicated than some setups, but it works very well.

Peace

Dedpoet
08-18-2002, 06:57 PM
No one would argue that, Cleric. The truth is that most users do not use the Linux gateway option. I stand by my signature :p

high_jeeves
08-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes, Cleric, and we are all very proud of you. Most people who come to these boards however dont know how to/want to use a box as a router. We do give them this answer quite often, and I think if you bothered to read (does anyone do that anymore) you will find that answer 2.12 in the FAQ describes exactly your setup.

So, while there are about 20 ways that I can think of that you COULD set the network up, the major point behind ALL of these threads is that THE ANSWERS ARE IN THE FAQ. That is why people post telling other people to RTFM, because the ANSWER IS IN THE FUCKING MANUAL. Its not to be mean, its not to belittle, it is in fact to point people to the answer to their question. If you dont like the attitute towards people who dont read before they post then tough. If they cant use the many many resources that are currently available to set up ShowEQ, then perhaps they are the type of people that shouldnt be using it in the first place.

--Jeeves

Mr. Suspicious
08-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Cleric
...as long as I used the LINUX box to act as an internal router for my PCs running EQ...

And that's EXACTLY what everyone's saying all the time! Darnit...

Now, proove that what everyone is saying is wrong (as you do state) and add a router to your network, hook the switch to the router and move the linux box below the Switch at the same level as the EQ boxes. Now... if you CAN make that setup work: feel free to tell everyone they're idiots for saying it cannot work.

Setup picture:

DSL/CABLE
||
||
Router
||
||
16-port Linksys SWITCH
PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4 LINUX ShowEQ Box

THIS is the setup, everyone tells isn't going to work "." OR, what most of the new people want for their setup:

DSL/CABLE
||
||
eth1/ppp0
Windows Routing Box
eth0
||
||
16-port Linksys SWITCH
PC1 PC2 PC3 PC4 LINUX ShowEQ Box

RavenCT
08-18-2002, 08:23 PM
<clap> <clap> <calp>

Congratulations, they've proved all of us wrong...

I want to ask you though, what is the likely hood of someone who can't understand the concept of how a switch is a store and forward packet device, is going to actually manage to do a much more complicated thing like setting up a linux box as a firewall/router? (I definetly agree with you the Mr Suspicious)

Take the path of least resistance is how I feel, tell them to buy a real "hub"...

The biggest point to all of this mess is that the information on the Linksys "hubs" or routers is in many many many many posts all OVER the place. If someone can't find an answer to "why won't my linksys "hub" work" by searching, reading the recent posts (it's almost always in the first page of the current topics anyway), then how do you expect others who have answered the questions to ad nauseum over and over again to answer it yet again?

The whole thing is if these people just tried a little bit they would have LONG ago found their answer and could go merrily on there way to going and getting a new "hub".

Cleric
08-19-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious

And that's EXACTLY what everyone's saying all the time! Darnit...

Now, proove that what everyone is saying is wrong (as you do state) and add a router to your network, hook the switch to the router and move the linux box below the Switch at the same level as the EQ boxes. Now... if you CAN make that setup work: feel free to tell everyone they're idiots for saying it cannot work.

To your post and the one following it, all I said was the switches work as I described. I never said the switch will work if the Linux box and the PC are on the same switch, although I am sure someone is working on making that work - maybe some kind of program that just copies and forwards all the traffic that comes across the EQ PC's ethernet card to the SEQ box or something.

Just a blanket statement telling people they (linksys switch and router) will not work IS incorrect, and yes I have read the manual (FAQ in this case and all the other readmes and installs). Sometimes the people actually do have the setup described, and when you just blanket blow them off with "LINKSYS DOESN"T WORK STFU" you are not even giving them the benefit of the doubt. They might have had some even simpler problem to fix that you could have flamed them for and really made them feel stupid :)

Just post the link to the FAQ and walk away :) IF they are totally helpless eventually they will give up, but by flaming them you end up having them just post back more flames, and no one gets anything done. You are actually INVITING them to keep posting when they really are totally clueless by the fact that you nuke them and make them feel defensive as soon as they write down a thought ;)

Peace

Mr. Suspicious
08-19-2002, 03:11 AM
maybe some kind of program that just copies and forwards all the traffic that comes across the EQ PC's ethernet card to the SEQ box or something.

RTFM and use the search *smiles* This program exists, has already been made by a ShowEQ user. It's called UDPEcho. If you'd searched for "networking" you should have seen reference to it a dozen of times already.

high_jeeves
08-19-2002, 08:14 AM
You dont seem to be talking about THIS thread anymore Cleric.

Take a look at the top 4 posts of this thread, I think you will find the following:

Post 1 includes the following:

Im sure it is possible (some how) to make the linux box into a hub and plug into the uplink portion of the router. But im not sure how to do this, im no computer guruu.

So, he is aware of your method, (and how to do it is references in the FAQ, with pointers to a number of different peices of firewall distribution.

ps - all "RTFM" and "Do a search" post whores can chill out, i've read and searched but I know there is always alternatives.

He starts out aggressive, and makes this silly statement, which is blatantly incorrect. ESPECIALLY since RTFM or searching would infact answer every question he has asked to this point.

Post 2:

Either set your linux box as a gateway and all your computers will go thru it or go to Compusa and purchase a cheap 5 port 10 Mbs hub for $15.

A valid answer giving both possible methods. All detailed information is found by searching or RTFM.

Post 3:

so, if you don't want to setup your linux box as your internet gateway device (i assume this is the case, since you already own a hardware firewall w/ 4 built in ports) go buy a hub (a true hub) and hook it to your switch.

Another valid answer, giving two methods for doing this.

Post 4:

Ok, I went out and bought a hub:
- linksys 10/100 5-port hub

my setup goes as follow:

eq and linux box -> hub -> router -> modem

when starting up showeq, it still is not getting any information from eq.

as far as search results, technically, i have everything set up correctly. have all files i need, clean install of linux, qt and seq compiled perfectly with no error. how would i go about troubleshooting this?

So, at this point he has taken the path of least resistance (as most people will). But, he has still not read the manual, he has still not searched, and now he is posting a question that is answered on a weekly basis here. So, what more are the regulars on the board supposed to do? Should we see if ShowEQ can come up with a deal with American Airlines, so we can fly to peoples houses and walk them through this step by step? This person started out by flaming those that might help them, then continued to make an ass of himself.

Read this before asking any questions. Then use use this. After you have read and used both options, then and ONLY then should you ask your question. If your question is answered in either of those two locations, EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read. You have been warned.

You will find this at the top of the first page of these forums. It is pretty straight forward. He obviously didnt follow either link. He asked a question in an agressive manner (and the question was only THE MOST COMMON question on these boards). I cant think of a way to set myself more to get flamed.

I stronly recommend you take a look at many of the excellent documents out there on how to interact with FREE helpdesk message boards (The smoothwall manual being the best). It describes in detail how to interact on a message board, you might find it enlightening.

--Jeeves

Cleric
08-19-2002, 04:04 PM
/Bow High_Jeeves

Point taken. I went back and re-read the thread and actually I have to say you showed remarkable restraint (or else all the prior posts you weren't on the boards *grin*) in not flaming realm sooner :)

I apologize to the thread for restating the obvious :)

Kudos to realm for figuring out his problem.

Peace.