PDA

View Full Version : pthread_create not found in -lpthread

kjb
08-10-2002, 09:47 AM
I've fubar'd my system some how. I'm all the sudden unable to compile seq. Don't think that I'd updated anything, but after I started getting pthread_create not found in -lpthread messages, I went and updated my glibc and libstdc++ libs to lastest. Running on RH7.2 Found an old thread with someone who had the same problem, but no resposes to him.

output of ldconf -p | grep thread

libthread_db.so.1 (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.2.5) => /lib/libthread_db.so.1
libthread_db.so (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.2.5) => /usr/lib/libthread_db.so
libpthread.so.0 (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.2.5) => /lib/libpthread.so.0
libpthread.so (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.2.5) => /usr/lib/libpthread.so
libgthread-1.2.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libgthread-1.2.so.0
libgnomevfs-pthread.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-pthread.so.0

Are these the wrong versions?

high_jeeves
08-10-2002, 10:06 AM
What did you update your glibc and libstdc++ to? You probably ugraded to a version which has a different ABI than your old version (rendering most if not all of your existing libraries unusable).

--Jeeves

kjb
08-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Was libstdc++3-3.0.4-1
and glibc-2.2.4-27

Nothing else runs on this laptop. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and start a gentoo install on it. Will be slow as hell (P166 with 80m of ram) but the concept appeals to me. Worst case, I do a clean install of 7.2 and get it back up. Just looking for a clue as to what I changed that messed it up. Note - I'm pretty sure I didn't make any changes for a long while, and when I grabed the lattest CVS it all the sudden started bombing. Thats when I updated my lib's. This ain't worth much effort, but I though I'd put it out here to see if anyone had an obvious answer. In this case (as much as it goes against the linux grain) a reinstall is probably easier.

high_jeeves
08-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Yeah, you upgraded to a libstc++ with a different ABI making most libraries on your system completely obsolete. Gentoo is fun, but it will probably take you a VERY long time to compile everything on a 166 (I would recommend you start out with atleast a phase 2/3 system.. going from phase 1 - having showEQ running will probably take you 4+ days). It took me over 10 hrs (including KDE, which is probably 1-2 hrs of that) on a 1.6Ghz with 512MB.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
08-10-2002, 05:53 PM
on a p166, you might consider doing an "emerge fluxbox" when you are ready to get some X going. it should get everything you need for X + Fluxbox which should be very minimal and good for low end hardware.