PDA

View Full Version : SEQ, Linksys, Help, etc...

RavenCT
08-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Since people are sick of the other thread with the Linksys router in them I thought I'd post my ideas/thoughts in a separate thread...

I agree for the most part with those out there who say "RTFM"! I for one don't consider myself a UNIX expert in the least, but I am a MCSE and have worked in the field for 10 years specializing in NT (and now 2000) networks as well as Novell and some UNIX/ZENIX. Did I find setting up SEQ the first time easy? Hell no! There are lots of pit falls, most of which are getting UNIX setup correctly FIRST. From there I had lots of fun for about three days getting SEQ running.

Did I ask questions here? Yes I did, but I made sure that I tried everything that I could think of before I did. I also searched the web for my answers before I bothered anyone here.

There are a lot of people out there who don't realize or think about the fact that all the support here and all the questions that people answer are purely gratis (free) of charge of any kind. For that matter, the product is completely free including the ongoing development.

PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT THE ONLY WAY QUESTIONS ARE BEING ANSWERED IS OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF OTHERS HEARTS TO TAKE THE TIME TO DO AS SUCH!

Don't go crucifying those that are trying to help your or that have provided most (if not all) of the answers to the most common problems with SEQ, taken hours to make the FAQ's that are here, created maps, improved the product's performance and stability, etc, etc, etc!

I for one COMMEND those that have taken so much of their own time to continue the work that has been done here! It's something that's completely beyond my skills.

As for the LINKSYS routers/hubs, I only have to say that I've seen it at least 20 times through out the FAQ's, documentation, and posts that for the most part THEY DON'T WORK CORRECTLY WITH SEQ! Not that there isn't a work around with re-routing the packets, but personally, I wouldn't want to do this...

I just find it hard to believe that someone would make a post with "I know that everyone has said that Linksys routers don't work, but I don't want to hear that and there must be a work around so don't flame me for asking a question that I already know the answer too but I didn't like the answer."

??!?!!??! :mad: My first thought to that was "Are you serious?" And "How many times does this have to be posted?"

If you don't have kids then you don't have the experience of being asked "Why" a gazillion times about something, but from those of us that do, believe me, it can get very annoying. The same thing goes here... With the information so readily available in other posts and the FAQ, to ask the obvious question that has been answered many many many times can really piss people off.

So, with all this in mind, I say to the developers, DUDES! GREAT JOB! KEEP IT UP!

There is almost no less thankless job than a developer who is doing his work (and it works without failure)... since the only time he'll hear something is when it doesn't work. :D

Guygin
08-13-2002, 07:42 AM
Amen.

high_jeeves
08-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Excellent post, RavenCT.

--Jeeves

Cryonic
08-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Could a moderator Sticky this post?