PDA

View Full Version : No screens found error help pls! :)

lexan
08-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Hello everyone, im posting about an error i recieve after fully installing seeq on linux 7.2, i have installed it previously on my other computer and it works fine, but recently i wanted to install it on my other computer so i dont have to run eq and seeq on the same comp(vmware). so i fully installed it and hit startx.. it did some compiling then came to a "no screens found fatal error." now i have had this problem before so i reinstalled it again with minimum settings :256 colors 640x480, but when i do that it indeed works, but upon it loading the screen inside the shell is .. zoomed in .. or it seems the resolution is too low and therefore i cant acess the whole screen to start the emulation porgram, i have fixed this error before by putting in a default svga by editing a certain file, but the problem is i cannot remember the link to the webpage that tells me what file to edit with "pico" and what to input .. so i am stuck in this situation staring at a resolution to low and cannot acess the whole screen or just plainly getting a no screens found.. the following is my secondary comp :

intel celeron 600
192 sdram
voodoo 4 4500 pci (which is not in the install list for redhat 7.2 only voodoo 3 and 5 are options)
7 gig hd
winxp

Cryonic
08-15-2002, 12:34 AM
I hate to say it, but this is for help with SEQ, not with general linux problems.

Try google.com or since it is graphics related XFree86.org.

Mr Guy
08-15-2002, 06:48 AM
I consistentally had this problem with video cards/screens that are older and just barely supported. I actually had to go into a HIGHER resolution to fix it.

I'd definitely agree to start by googling on "no screens found" (with quotes).

Mr. Suspicious
08-15-2002, 06:51 AM
Couldn't stop giggling for over an hour over this one:

the following is my secondary comp :

intel celeron 600
192 sdram
voodoo 4 4500 pci
7 gig hd
winxp

lexan
08-16-2002, 04:21 AM
I put in winXp so i could use Vmware since it only runs on 2000/nt/xp, i wanted to be able to use VMware on it as well as my girlfriend being able to use the comp, reason i put in xp mostly is cuase its on my main computer and i had the disk handy :)

Cryonic
08-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Since when does VMware only run under Windows??? Last I checked it ran under Linux also.

RavenCT
08-16-2002, 01:07 PM
I got it! I got it!

Install Linux then VMWare
Then inside VMWare, run an XP session to run Lunix and seq....

no wait :rolleyes:

:D

Bah, I just couldn't leave well enought alone!

Hackem
08-20-2002, 05:49 AM
Install VM-ware tools.... the video card is a virtuel card.. read the manual on your VM ware software.. there is a nice todo ...

lexan
11-22-2002, 06:53 PM
WARNING: You cannot install the VMware Tools package until the guest operating system is running. If your guest operating system is not running, select Cancel and install the VMware Tools package later.

that is what it says when you click on install the tools package.. the reason i made this post is becuase I cant actually get into the operating system thus the original post of No screens found error... once I get it working then I can ru nteh tools but not until I can succesfully get in...Thanks though..

BlueAdept
11-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Dont boot into graphical mode. Use run level 3.

lexan
11-24-2002, 04:48 AM
When I set up the linux I set it to run in Text mode not graphical. is that what you mean by run level 3 ? I tried to search for run level 3 but the search didnt like the number 3 in there so I tried just "run level" and came up with nada.

Thanks!

BlueAdept
11-24-2002, 08:52 AM
If you are getting "No screens found" error it means that you are trying to run xwindows or the graphical login without having the proper drivers loaded.

Boot in text mode then mount the cdrom then install the drivers for the video for VMware (I beleive it was vmtools). The instructions are on the VMware site.

After that, you wont have the no screens found.