PDA

View Full Version : Networking question...

noonereally
08-16-2002, 06:29 PM
I spent all day looking through the arcives trying to make heads or tail of my issue. I wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing before I open this can of worms.

))current setup((

{internet}
........|
DSL Modem
........|
[Linksys DSL switch/router pppoe, dhcp]
........|
........|
[Netgear 10baseT Ethernet Hub]
........|
........|
|------------------|

EQ box .. .. Linux SEQ

My first though was to make both nics 10mb. I have no clue how to set that on the linux card (yet). But I dont think it's the real issue here.

I read a bunch of threads on pppoe and the problems with Linksys. What I think I need to do is...

))What I think I have to do((

{internet}
........|
DSL modem
........|
........|
Linux SEQ (2 nics) router {IP masqurade?}
........|
........|
........|
........|
EQ box

If I am understanding the information correctly, I have a good bit of work to do :( So before I get started I wanted to get some input.

Thanks

three-p-o
08-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Well in the first setup if the hub is 10 base-t then they will both be set at 10 base-t so you don;t have to change anything

in the second setup

{internet}
........|
DSL modem
........|
........|
Linux SEQ (2 nics) router {IP masqurade?}
........|
........|
[Netgear 10baseT Ethernet Hub] (NOT NEEDED)
........|
........|
EQ box

You can remove the hub completely and use a crossover cable to connect NIC to NIC

noonereally
08-16-2002, 06:50 PM
got 2 other puters. I thought everyone 2 boxed now a days?

Thanks for the responce. I was afraid that was the answer.

Good news is I'm learning alot.

*sigh*
I thought I was done. :(

Cleric
08-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Either setup will work - if you have more than one EQ computer then it should work with the first example. The linux box should be able to see the other boxes on the hub - try using tcpdump and see what kind of traffic you see.

Peace

noonereally
08-17-2002, 10:08 PM
I have no clue what was keeping it from working. I installed tcpdump, ran it and it did see the packets. So I tried seq again and it just started to work. *shrug* I didn't have to change anything.

My original set up worked fine by just tossing the hub in and uplinking to the switch/router.

cerestes
08-22-2002, 02:11 PM
You said you were using DSL.

I know there is a problem with alot of dsl providers using PPPoE, so while your linux box can 'see' the network traffic, SEQ cant decode it properly.

I think you need to get some kind of converter program to go from PPPoE to what ever seq uses (tcp/ip?). Then again, i'm a noob, probabably just babbling.

noonereally
08-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Pop this between the router
and your PC's and your golden.

Well at least I was >.<

I'm not possitive BUT I had to install tcpdump. It wasn't installed when I set the machine up. Once I installed it seq just started working. I have no clue if it added something I was missing that was needed by seq.