PDA

View Full Version : seg fault every time in KD

h0bbit
08-19-2002, 03:00 PM
When i zone to KD, it seg faults 99.9% of the time, within 30 seconds of being in the zone.

All other zones seem to be working just fine, is there something I can check on my end?

high_jeeves
08-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Your best bet is to post the backtrace so that the devs can go through it. Search the forums for "backtrace" for instructions and examples on how to do this..

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
08-19-2002, 03:15 PM
See if you can get a backtrace of the core dump. First make sure core dumps are enabled with this command:

ulimit -c unlimited

Then start seq and make it crash. Cd into your seq directory, and there should be a file called "core" with a fairly large file size. Then run these commands:

# gdb
# file showeq
# core-file /seq/showeq/core (or wherever your core file is)
# bt

Post the output of that command and we (by "we" I mean "people smarter than I" can try to figure out what's going on.

Edit: When you're done, you can delete that core file. They tend to use significant amounts of disk space.

S_B_R
08-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by h0bbit
When i zone to KD, it seg faults 99.9% of the time, within 30 seconds of being in the zone.

All other zones seem to be working just fine, is there something I can check on my end?

When was the last time you updated your SEQ?

h0bbit
08-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Dedpoet: I will do that tonight, hopefully have a post soon with that info. Thanks.

S_B_R: I try to update it whenever I see changes. Guess it was a little dumb of me. I seen an update that said fixed some possible seg fault issues, and even though they were very rare for me, I went ahead and updated. Thats about when I started having the issues.

PS: Whenever I do updates, I always do a full checkout and rebuild.

S_B_R
08-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Well, I guess I'm with dedpoet on this then, post a backtrace. ;)

Catt
08-21-2002, 12:25 AM
Load SEQ while NOT in EQ, then manually load the KD map (File, Open Map) if you get a fault doing this, then chances are you have a bad map file.

h0bbit
09-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Ok first of all, I have not been getting the core file even though I ran the

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ulimit -c unlimited--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, i tried something...

I was able to get the zone to work correctly when I had depth filter enabled and spawn filter. Zone decoded correctly, and as soon as I turned off spawn depth filter, i got the seg fault.

That lead to any clues?

Cryonic
09-04-2002, 01:24 PM
bad map file? Maybe one of the line entries is screwed up and SEQ isn't handling the parse error properly or is passing the bad info to the GUI and it is crapping out.

h0bbit
09-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Well like i said it seq faulted soon as I turned off depth filter for spawns, not map lines. I'm wondering if there is a corpse in the zone that is causing it on my server or something....