PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ problem. Please help.

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 10:58 AM
I was enjoying ShowEQ for afew months then was sent to Turkey for a month ( I am in the US Army ) camr back and all was fine for 2 weeks or so then last week while using it I camped to bring a diffrent Char. on using a diffrent account and it closed ShowEQ and went to Desk Top. Now when I open ShowEQ then Log on to EQ it close ShowEQ and goes to Desktop. If i open EQ then ShowEQ and zone smaething closes and goes to desktop.

I have not changed anything from the settings before so i have no clue why this is going on, and as i said it was working fine till I camped 1 account and open another.

Could anyone please help on this.

I am not all that great with programing Redhat it took me a lot of trial and effor to get showeq to work I had to seek the help of a programer to assist me on getting it up ad running at the start. So if it is possable you can write this where a person with limited know how of Redhat can understand it I would be forever greatful.

System info
Redhat 7.2
900 mhz P3
256 memory
G force 2 vid card
Roadrunner cable conection.

high_jeeves
08-21-2002, 11:00 AM
You need to update, read the FAQ.

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
08-21-2002, 11:01 AM
What version does Seq show in the terminal window when you start it? The first thing I would do is search the forum for "cvs update" and follow the directions there for how to update to the latest version. If that doesn't fix your problem, post again with as much information as possible, and we can try to help you. There have been 2 or 3 code updates in the last month.

Edit: Damn you Jeeves! Our posts are always 1 or 2 minutes apart ;)

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Ok i opened it up and all I saw was it says ShowEQ main. I then open up the directory and found the help readme file and says version 4.0 . Is the a good way to determen the verison. I went to the web page I use to download it and does not have a verson.

high_jeeves
08-21-2002, 11:22 AM
I repeat, read the FAQ, it has all of this information in it.

--Jeeves

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Ok i now went through the File/root/showeq/changes (folder)

and found modifications

Updated to version 4.2.12

Hope this is the info you where looking for as I said I am wanting to learn this more then wanting to get this to work, but would also not want to frag the whole thing up.

Thank you all for any help with this

RavenCT
08-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Log onto CVS, pull down the latest version and rebuild...

It should be as simple as that...

I'm doing this off the top of my head but:

1) Login to CVS
2) Retrieve updates
3) Logout of CVS
4) make -f Makefile.dist
5) ./configure
6) make
7) make install

Then try running it... again, that is off the top of my head (hence the CVS commands aren't there, you can get those from the FAQ) so don't flame me too much :)

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Ok i think maybe I go t it. I take it takes alittle while to download everything. so I will let you all know how it turns out. Thank you all for your help on this "newbee" question.

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Ok I have problems now LOL.

Now Showeq will not open, I click on the icon and it gives me a loading symbol but then after it goes away nothing. I did the following to up date it:

{opened terminal window}
cd showeq
cvs -z3 update
make
make all
configure
make install
{Loge out }

then nothing Showeq will not open.

Dedpoet
08-21-2002, 12:32 PM
Now Showeq will not open, I click on the icon and it gives me a loading symbol but then after it goes away nothing.

What is this icon you are clicking on? By default, there will be no icon set up for Seq. It sounds to me like someone else set up seq for you and made a desktop shortcut to it. Open your terminal window and just type "showeq".

Does that launch the program?

Edit: Better yet, cd into the directory the showeq is in first and then run it...that will eliminate any path problems that may be hurting you:

# cd /usr/local/share/showeq
# ./showeq

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 12:43 PM
No I setup the icon For my wife I know little bout Linux and she knows less then me. But I tryed the loading through terminal window, and get the following:

{the bacic user agreement }
Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml'
Loading preference file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loading preference file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
listening for client: {my ip address}
Intializing Packet Capute Thread:
Filtering Packet Caputer Thread
Filtering packets on device ethO, IP host {my IP address}
Segmentation fault
[root@localhost root]#

But this is what I am gettting.

Mr. Suspicious
08-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Follow High Jeeves advice and READ (Don't 'glance', read!) the FAQ and the INSTALL.newbies file found in your showeq directory.

Dedpoet
08-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Beeboo, I have to agree with Mr. S.

Hint: You did the update steps in the wrong order (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html#2.6).

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Ok i see that now. Also under the newbe install libEQ.a file site is missprinted found a corect link that heppled alot. also I think I got the right install order ( I hope ) from the newbeintal folder. I was using the order on FAQ guide. I did forget about the newbeinstall folder thank you for pointing me in the right direction there. As I said this is a learning leason for me here.

Ok now I am abel to open SowEQ again but at entrying ion world back to desktop with error:

Error opening mape file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unkown.map'!
Opcode Logging mask: 0 0 0
Listening for ip client: {my ip address}
File size limit exceeded

I think I saw a post on this going to go check it out.

Cleric
08-21-2002, 02:11 PM
Just a thought - a week ago or so my SEQ crashed, and when I tried to restart it would bring up the screens and then drop again.

After a short search and checking 'df', turned out my log file had filled up the available disk space on the partition I run SEQ from ;)

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 02:36 PM
Ok Cleric i did the 'df' and results where:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc2 3791180 4045112 31940280 12% /
/dev/hdc1 46636 8848 35380 21% /boot
none 127948 0 127948 0% /dev/shm

( I have a 40 gig hard drive that I am using )

I am going to water not yet explored by me. Now I saw a post on some awhile back saying that they had a problem and cleaned out there log file and was able to clear it up so i am searching around for it and see if I can find it and determen if there is a lot of stuff in there I can clean out.

I did try ShowEQ in 5 diffrent zones WC, EC, Bazaar, Lava Storm, and Ferroot. With the same error.

Will if anything I am learning alot today with this error.

fryfrog
08-21-2002, 03:00 PM
follow the guides and just start over from scratch (asside from re-installing linux and possibly compiling qt-2.3.2).

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Found this post under mapping going to see if this willl help some.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by horse_sense
I am the only one who notices that when you open some maps, they crash Show EQ to desktop? Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a limit to the amount of information that a map can hold?

My machine has plenty of disk space and RAM (512 meg). This seems strange.

Horse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was having the same odd problems. Found I just had to make sure i compiled from scratch... ALthough I didn't wipe out the directory and do a full cvs copy I did the following:

make clean
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure --enable-old-compiler (cause i have the old qt installed)
make
make install

Cleaned up all my problems. Just a simple start from scratch basically.

If this does not work then I will play around with it some. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
If I dont figure it out by Sat. i am going to do a wipe and reinstall /shivers at the thought of it though.

Thanks eveyone for the help here, and if you think of anythng else let me know. I am not going to give up on this I am starting to have fun with it now. More fun then playing EQ.

Beeboo
08-21-2002, 03:39 PM
That did it I just did the clean and boom I'am up and runnign again. Thank you all.