PDA

View Full Version : Paging Notification

seqdude
08-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Something that might be of interest for those doing the long boring camps like Sormfeather.

I was fooling around with the Use Audio Device Command and figured I could have it run anything I wanted, so I wrote a basic script that did:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Your Locate's have poped" | [email protected]

Now the above only works with an ATT cell phone but it should work with any cell phone company which allows email's to be sent to the phone.

Name this file mailme and put it in some directory. Make sure you do "chmod a+x mailme". Now go back into SEQ and turn on "Use Audio Device" and under Audio Commands click on "Locate". Replace the current audio command with "/path/mailme &".

Now you don't have to worry about going to smoke, bathroom, getting a beer, etc.... Just take your phone with you when you get up...

I don't know that much about unix, but if anyone knew of a way to cut out of the console screen the actual spawn name then please share!

SEQDUDE

Cryonic
08-21-2002, 06:38 PM
That functionality has been in SEQ for a long time. All SEQ does to play a sound is call esdplay with the name of the wave file. You could always make it call any script/program you wanted.

z26o
08-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Yeah but it is always fun to see how creative people can get with that functionality.

Good job I say.

z

se7en
08-31-2002, 04:05 AM
YES! It would be quite impressive to get the name of the spawn in a message to your phone, can you imagine? =D

If anyone knows how to do this, give it a shot and post your results please :)