PDA

View Full Version : Installing RH 7.3 over RH 6.1

T1homas
08-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Could someone kindly direct me to a specific instruction on re-installing RH 7.3 over and existing working copy of RH 6.1? Every time I try to mount the RH 7.3 CD, I get a message stating that "only packages with major numbers <=3 are supported by this version".

high_jeeves
08-21-2002, 09:52 PM
Put in the CD, boot the machine, select upgrade. You might want to check the RedHat documentation instead of the ShowEQ forums.

--Jeeves

T1homas
08-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Dear High-Jeeves

I've done this numerous times.

Load the CD, go to the Gnome RPM, then to the Install window to Upgrade, only to get "only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM".

I'm sorry to trouble you with this question, as I know that the board is dedicated to ShowEQ issues, but I would greatly appreciate some sort of lead as to why I can't upgrade from my current 6.1 Cartman version of RH.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks again

Cryonic
08-21-2002, 11:20 PM
Boot from the CD. If you can't boot from the CD then you will have to boot from an install floppy.

For better instructions try reading the docs on Redhat's own site.

high_jeeves
08-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Like cryonic said, or by very closesly reading what i typed above (note, order is important).

Put in the CD, boot the machine, select upgrade

--Jeeves

T1homas
08-22-2002, 12:40 AM
Thanks to both of you for your reply.

When I insert the RH 7.3 CD1 into the CD-ROM and boot from the CD-ROM, the machine gets to the upgrade screen, I hit enter key to start the process, it pass the initrd.img and crashes on vmliz.

The screen goes blank and the system freezes.

I can reboot using a boot disk to enter the RH 6.1 program which is located on the primary slave drive, previously detected as D:

The primary master drive (C:) is loaded with Win 98.

I've tried formating D: to get back to "ground-zero" in the MS-DOS mode, but I get an error message stating the DOS is unable to format a network disk.

Again, your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Dedpoet
08-22-2002, 06:10 AM
If you're willing to format the whole drive and start over, just boot directly off of the 7.3 cd, and format the partition during the install. The install program will format over an ext2 filesystem without a hitch and you will be up and running. (I'm assuming you are using ext2 since this is RH 6.x. I recommend using ext3 filesystems on your new install, but that's just my opinion.)

Please note that 7.3 isn't as nice as 7.2 for running seq out of the box. Make sure you you search on this for ideas. The most important being that you will need to get gcc3 from somewhere, like http://www.rpmfind.net, as it is not included in the distribution.

S_B_R
08-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by T1homas
Thanks to both of you for your reply.

When I insert the RH 7.3 CD1 into the CD-ROM and boot from the CD-ROM, the machine gets to the upgrade screen, I hit enter key to start the process, it pass the initrd.img and crashes on vmliz. The screen goes blank and the system freezes.You have a bad disc, or atleast the boot sector on it is bad.. Or Make a Floppy disc to boot off of, and keep the 7.3 CD in your CDROM drive. If that doesn't work then you need to burn a new copy of the cd. There are images and instructions for floppy boot disks on redhat's website.

fryfrog
08-22-2002, 09:19 AM
if he is running rh 6.1, it could also be due to super-suck cdrom drive that does not support bootable cds very well... try the floppy+cdrom suggestion from above :)

your NEXT stop should be a redhat support place, cause we ain't no rh support forum, see?

lostpacket
08-25-2002, 04:19 AM
"Please note that 7.3 isn't as nice as 7.2 for running seq out of the box"

You ain't kiddin. Spent 2 days downloading the iso's only to happily stick them in the microwave while yelling "you piece of shit! I'm going back to 7.2!"

FYI - 10 seconds for all 5 cd's in the microwave is enough to destroy them and stink up the house.

Korre
08-26-2002, 05:58 AM
7.3 needs to have rpm 4 to get upgraded that easily, i would if i where you use the RedHat Network Update program that comes along with all 6.x+ distros. Download and upgrade the redhat-release-6.2-1.rpm from redhat-release-6.2-1.rpm. Run up2date and do what it says you are required to do, remember to update glibc FIRST before updating anything else. Then do a full update, viola your now a proud owner of a 6.2 system and you will have no problems updating to 7.3 because you have rpm v4 with a fully updated rh6.2 .