PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Decoding!

maguino
08-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Friends, I have done research before trying to setup my showeq box... I decide im ready... and i instal redhat 7.3 (dual boot) on an XP box... I go buy a NetGear EN104 10MBPS 'TRUE' Hub... the respective RJ45 cables... i install the latest showeq fine with qt2.3.2 (or whatever).... I have an Alcatel DSL USB modem..... this is my setup

XP box... (EQ) ------------ HUB------------------Show eq

Now my EQ box connects to the internet, and my showeq box leeches net off that.... my showeq box connects to the internet fine.. when i run showeq on my eq though it isnt decoding anything.... Ive also check to see that im running ppoa and when i click my DSL icon in my task tray on my xp box, it says PPoA.... i dont understand my problem....

T1homas
08-23-2002, 08:05 PM
I am a relatively new viewer to these pages, and I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the ShowEQ box must be between your internet connection and your Win Box. In fact, I believe that with just two machines involved, you could, with two NIC cards installed into the ShowEQ box, connect the ShowEQ box to the internet and then, with a cross-over cable connect the Win box to the ShowEQ box.

But in any case the ShowEq box has to "see" the packets before the Win box in order to monitor them.

BlueAdept
08-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by maguino
Friends, I have done research before trying to setup my showeq box

Apparently you didnt do enough research. There are TONS of threads on how to do proper setups.

XP box... (EQ) ------------ HUB------------------Show eq

If you have:

Inet---xp box (eq) ----- hub ------ showeq

Why would you expect SEQ to see the packets from EQ? It is going from the xp box right to the Inet. The seq box wont EVER see the packets this way.

Probably your best bet is to get a router and do it this way.

Inet
|
Router
|
Hub (a true hub, not a switching one)
|
----------------------------
| |
XP linux

Now my EQ box connects to the internet, and my showeq box leeches net off that.... my showeq box connects to the internet fine.. when i run showeq on my eq though it isnt decoding anything.... Ive also check to see that im running ppoa and when i click my DSL icon in my task tray on my xp box, it says PPoA.... i dont understand my problem....

Depending on how you wish to correctly set up your network, you still may have problems with the PPoA.

I STRONGLY suggest that you use the search button and read up on the different setups. Also read the FAQ.

Good luck.

maguino
08-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the useful tips...

1. Do i need to buy a router to get show eq to work?
I thought just a hub and proper installation would do it
2. Thr crossover method....
I have a USB DSL alcatel modem... ive tried to install the usb modem on my linux box so that its my gateway to the inet, BUT i don't properly know how!

You have to dl 2 sets of drivers, and do all this hoopla of which im not familiar with... my lack of knowledge of linux right now is killing as ive been struggling for days on end to get showeq to work..... If ANYONE could help me and give me ANY tips on how to install a USB DSL Alcatel modem on linux it would be appreciate... ALSO, can i use PPoE on the linux install

fryfrog
08-24-2002, 03:17 AM
is the modem USB only?

your easiest bet is to try and find a hardware router at the computer store that supports usb modems. getting it working in linux should be possible, but i would guess that it isn't for the faint of heart.

is there any chance you can get a dsl modem that is ethernet (pppoe) instead, they are MUCH easier to deal with and from what i hear far more stable (i hear the usb dsl modems suck, so bad that when bellsouth tried to stick me with a usb only dsl modem i refused shipment of it from ups and stuck with my good old cable. nice of them to tell you they are shipping a usb dsl modem and not an ethernet one).