PDA

View Full Version : Redhat 7.3....

greasey
08-24-2002, 08:05 PM
So, whats the verdict??? Im still seeing alot of negative on 7.3 and problems here and there.... stay away still.... stick with 7.2???

Ugh, had to re-create account... been awhile...

Greasey.....

Dedpoet
08-24-2002, 08:42 PM
Ask yourself how much you know about Linux and that will tell you your answer to this question. If you don't know that much, stick with 7.2, make sure you pick the gcc3 packages during install, build QT, and away you go. If you are a bit more adventurous, go with 7.3. If you do go with 7.3, you will need to get gcc3 from elsewhere, probably www.rpmfind.net, or as recommended in this (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=10829#post10829) post, download the source and build it yourself. Then build QT, then install Seq. It's just a matter of what you are comfortable with.

I have yet to see why 7.3 is such a great upgrade from 7.2 anyway. If all you're going to do is use Seq, 7.2 is more than fine. If you're going to be using Linux as extensively as I, or some of the other regulars here do, you probably wouldn't be using Redhat at all anyway ;)

I hope that helps you out. To find the answer, inside you must look.</yoda>

Edit: Ack, I'm an Undead Froglok now?! Is there no end to your torment, Ratt? Hehe.

Korre
08-26-2002, 07:01 AM
rh7.3 works just fine only thing that you have to do that isnt mentioned in the INSTALL.newbies is the following :

Change all references of gcc and g++ to gcc3 and g++3 in the following files AFTER youve ran ./configure =

showeq/Makefile
showeq/src/Makefile
showeq/maps/Makefile
showeq/conf/Makefile

photon_99
08-28-2002, 07:15 AM
I did have SEQ working fine under RH7.3

All standard RH RPMs (with latest updates/security fixes).

What magic incantation did I use you may ask:
./configure --enable-old-compiler

Unfortunately the latest CVS version now segfaults on me at startup. I'm trying a make distclean; make; make install

I'll know some time tommorow if it works. Linux is running on the crappiest of my 3 PCs. :(

Hmm, didn't take as long as I thought and it's working again. :D