PDA

View Full Version : tried everything

kaos057
08-25-2002, 02:39 AM
Hello I am using win98 on EQ box and redhat 7.3 on linux box. Hardware is DSL modem>linksys router>Netgear HUB>both computers. My NIC is working fine, I installed all the SEQ files and gcc3, QT etc. SEQ comes up but doesnt get any info. I installed and ran tcpdump and it looked like it was seeing packets(at login i was seeing different things with EQ in it, and while playing i was seeing a bunch of ip addresses. I have done everything. Any ideas?:confused:

Mr. Suspicious
08-25-2002, 04:26 AM
I have done everything. Any ideas?

Read the Pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf

Dedpoet
08-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Probably a networking issue. Please read the FAQ (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html), specifically section 4.5 (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html#4.5) which most likely is the exact answer to your question.

kaos057
08-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Both cards are 100mbs and the hub is 10mbs so i figured the cards would automaticaly go to 10mbs. Anyway, I went ahead and changed the setting on the Win PC from auto sense to 10 base t. Not really sure where the setting would be in Linux its not in the network config. Well, like I said TCPDump sees all the packets fine. It seems like SEQ just doesnt know what to do with them.

flipper
08-25-2002, 10:40 AM
FWIW, SEQ did not work on my Netgear EN104 hub, so I had to switch to a different brand.

kaos057
08-25-2002, 10:42 AM
I Have that same hub =/ well, guess i get to return it and buy another thanks for the info ill post afterwards.

kaos057
08-25-2002, 12:27 PM
I got a new hub (Netgear DS104) which i have seen a few posts stating it DOES work. Well, just like before its not working. TCPDump picks up packets from EQ and what looks like something coming from my DSL host. I know that there is something causing this that is right under my nose. Please don't even waste your time posting if you're going to tell me to search. I have searched everything and can't find any help.:confused:

flipper
08-25-2002, 12:29 PM
I should have been a tad more specific...

My old hub was an EN104TP (I forgot about the TP tagged onto the end). The EN series is 10Mbit only, so your problem is not related to asynchronous speeds.

flipper
08-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Not sure what to tell you kaos057. Ditching the EN104 and swapping in my old Linksys allows SEQ to decode for me. If I swap back to the Netgear, I end up dead in the water again. I wouldn't run out and buy a new Linky because I have seen folks here saying that it doesn't work with SEQ. ::boggles::

Unfortunately a lot of stores don't carry much in the way of hubs anymore because too many idiots are running out buying hubs to share their broadband connection and they expect router/switch functionality.

kaos057
08-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, I know now that my ISP uses pppoe. I saw a post saying all I need to do is use a router between the modem and the hub. Well, I have been using one from the start. Is there a program i can install on either computer to convert the packets? Or, how would one go about changing the code in SEQ to accept PPPOE?

high_jeeves
08-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Well, I know now that my ISP uses pppoe. I saw a post saying all I need to do is use a router between the modem and the hub. Well, I have been using one from the start. Is there a program i can install on either computer to convert the packets? Or, how would one go about changing the code in SEQ to accept PPPOE?

Take a look at the FAQ 4.18 for information on this commonly answered question.. Reading == Good.

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
08-26-2002, 07:11 AM
Are you connecting the uplink port on your hub to a normal port on the router? It should work this way. I don't have PPPoe, but I do use a Linksys router and that exact EN104TP hub (well, used to anyway). The router should take care of the PPPoe, and if you have it conencted properly you should be fine. Have you tried different cables? Just a suggestion...eliminate every possible variable with troubleshooting networking issues.

Oh, and whomever is the official keeper of the FAQ now, 4.18 has a typo in it. "Encapulating" should be "encapsulating".

-Ded

z26o
08-26-2002, 07:38 AM
Something else to take a look at is what IP you are sniffing. Might be obvious but often it is the case that a user is looking at the wrong IP thus is not getting any packets. Check the IP of your win98 (or EQ) box and ensure it is specified in the command line.

./showeq -i eth0 192.168.1.103 Or you could start seq, select the "Network" menu and choose "Monitor Next EQ Client Seen", then start EQ (or zone).

Simple suggestions, I know. But I didn't see them mentioned above. :)

z

fryfrog
08-26-2002, 09:03 AM
thanks, as soon as i remember the l/p that ratt gave me for the faq i will fix it :)

Mr. Suspicious
08-26-2002, 10:02 AM
z26o:
./showeq -i eth0 192.168.1.103

At the very least provide the correct syntax, it's

./showeq eth0 --ip-address=192.168.1.103

kaos057
08-26-2002, 01:55 PM
I did say it was because my dsl provider uses PPPoE. It's not the ip address. I got it working fine on dialup with udpecho but dialup sucks as we all know. As for how my router is hooked to my hub, I tried all different hook ups but it only connects to the net one way. Nothing is uplinked. If i push the uplink button then it doesnt connect so i have to leave the switch off. So I guess what my questiuon now is; can someone post if they have pppoe dsl and what router they use. I can't find any info about whether or not it can convert the packets. Also has anyone successfuly added the PPPoE compatability to SEQ? Or has anyone come out with a software program that can convert them? Please don't post unless you are trying to help me. I don't want to hear about how my IP address is wrong or that my computer isnt on or something.

high_jeeves
08-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Please read the FAQ, it lists routers that work. You might also want to take a look at help forums for routers... This is NOT a networking forum, it is a ShowEQ forum. This is not a ShowEQ issue.

ShowEQ does not work with PPPOE, and probably never will, because the huge amount of effort required to do this is not worth if for something that can be fixed with a $40 and 20 minutes of research/effort. Many people have had this problem, and solved it at the router level.. most common off the shelf residential routers have this feature (login using PPPOE).. my guess is that if you spend 2 minutes looking at the web/telnet admin tool for your router, you will find it.

And if you want help, dont bitch when people give you answers you dont like, it just makes you look like an asshole.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
08-26-2002, 03:39 PM
if you can fill in your user/pass into the router's setup, it should be converting pppoe on the dsl side to normal ethernet on the other side.

if you are using some client on any of your computers to log into your isp, you are using ppoe from behind the router. if not, it should all be okay.