PDA

View Full Version : Ppc Libeq ?

BitShift
08-28-2002, 08:27 PM
It's the only useful thing I could think of doing with an old iMac... So, like the subject says, is there a PPC compiled binary of the libeq library around? Where could I find such a thing?

Dedpoet
08-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Click me (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html#2.13).

casey
08-28-2002, 10:27 PM
if you mail me a ppc box, i'll compile a version on it :) other than that i'll see what i can do getting my hands on something. What enviroment specifically are you looking for? OS X on ppc is the only thing i have what i would call semi-easy access to. let me know.

the sparc compiles are horribly old as well, i need to update those. Other systems i have easy access to are IRIX and AIX, so if anyone wants to see binaries for those, i can see what i can do.

BitShift
08-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks.. I was expecting that. Think I'll just run it with broken decode for now.. Just let it be known that I'd like to see a PPC binary of the library, and am open to suggestions for how I could help to get one done.

BitShift
08-28-2002, 10:29 PM
Casey - not OS-X .. It's debian linux 3.0 on a imac rev. A.

BitShift
08-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Out of curiosity, am I the only person who has tried getting SEQ to run on PPC architecture? Everything compiles great, although it takes forever on 233mhz, and it's my understanding that you don't need libeq for just a "compass" seq, since zone info isn't encrypted, etc...

Regardless, when I start up SEQ, and zone, the only thing that get's logged is "Client Detected: 192.168.1.2" and then nothing. No zone info is logged, no map displays, player position isn't shown, etc.

It's not my network, as tcpdump shows all of eq's packets, and it's the exact same network that seq was working fine on previously, the only difference is I have swapped out the SEQ machine from a x86 laptop to a PPC imac.. Of course I changed distro's from slackware to debian but that shouldn't mean anything.

The FAQ suggests that even if there were a libeq port to ppc, it might not work anyway.. What reason is there behind that? I noticed all the #warnings about big endian not being tested, so I assume at some point, someone had doubts about weather or not seq would actually work on PPC architecture? What details am I missing here, and is there anything in the source I should try changing?

high_jeeves
08-30-2002, 10:04 PM
I would guess that the big/little endian issues would be difficult to overcome, especially in the packet parsing/cacheing code (since there is lots of data shifting going on there).. and possibly in other places...

--Jeeves

BuilderB
10-08-2002, 02:45 PM
I would like to see an OSX PPC version of libeq. Gonna try compiling this week with osx10.2 (gcc3) to see if I can even get seq to run in GPS mode. :D

============================================
"I don't work here. I'm a consultant." ~ Every consultant

Cryonic
10-08-2002, 03:00 PM
I think there is still some endianess issues with Apples vs Intels that will give you some snafus. Any of the devs know what systems SEQ can run on with/without libEQ.a?

BuilderB
10-09-2002, 01:06 PM
ok...didn't have time to upgrade osx to 10.2 so I installed redhat7.2 in Virtual PC, just to see it installed, and tried seq from there. Worked like a champ...a sloooow champ, but a champ.

I will try installing seq after I get 10.2 installed and have time to parse the packages to see what's installed/missing (carefully eyeing this weekend, "yeah right").

Brian

=============================================
"I can see your point, but I still think you're full of crap." ~ Anonymous

throx
10-10-2002, 09:17 AM
Given that SPARC is big endian and there exists working libeq.a and seq in general for it, I don't think that's an issue.

xfesty
10-12-2002, 02:26 AM
Don't you guys get shell accounts on a bunch of systems with your sourceforge account?

Off memory there's two OS X servers there....

Surely you could upload your stuff and compile there for the PPC libEQ?

R

Ratt
10-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Don't you guys get shell accounts on a bunch of systems with your sourceforge account?

Off memory there's two OS X servers there....

Surely you could upload your stuff and compile there for the PPC libEQ?

Two years later... someone finally connected the dots. LOL... Now to quietly bury this thread....

tnc
10-16-2002, 06:46 AM
I would really love a OSX port of libeq.a aswell, Im also running it in a virtualpc now, and it pretty much stinks =P
Has anyone just tried compiling it there?..it might just work (yea right =P)

/tnc

se7en
10-24-2002, 05:18 PM
LOL Ratt :)

Sure is a nice bonus to using sourceforge though.. they give you full compiling rights on all the diff boxes they run? nice!

Spook
10-24-2002, 07:05 PM
I have some new hardware and will be testing OS X out. I do plan on trying SEQ with it ;)

I have to smile a bit, though, and wonder if ratt and Co. have anything against it. What, with EQ coming to Mac soon, that'd be like running SEQ on a Windows machine hehe.

fryfrog
10-25-2002, 07:57 AM
wow, i didn't know that. why don't you guys take advantage of it?

cheeze69
10-27-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by casey
if you mail me a ppc box, i'll compile a version on it :) other than that i'll see what i can do getting my hands on something. What enviroment specifically are you looking for? OS X on ppc is the only thing i have what i would call semi-easy access to. let me know.

the sparc compiles are horribly old as well, i need to update those. Other systems i have easy access to are IRIX and AIX, so if anyone wants to see binaries for those, i can see what i can do.

I would not mind seeing a x86 FreeBSD version of libEQ.a available. I'm working on setting up SEQ on a FreeBSD box for the first time, so I don't know how well the Linux emulation handles this, but a native version would be great!

Thanks!

Ratt
10-27-2002, 04:57 PM
I would not mind seeing a x86 FreeBSD version of libEQ.a available. I'm working on setting up SEQ on a FreeBSD box for the first time, so I don't know how well the Linux emulation handles this, but a native version would be great!

Uhhh...

On second thought, never mind, this is too easy.

*Flips cheez69 a quater and says "I hope you know what to do with this...*

cheeze69
10-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Ratt

Uhhh...

On second thought, never mind, this is too easy.

*Flips cheez69 a quater and says "I hope you know what to do with this...*

Huh?

Did I say something obvious or wrong? I'm honestly wondering what is meant from that comment (no flame, just wondering)...

casey
10-28-2002, 03:15 AM
Given that SPARC is big endian and there exists working libeq.a and seq in general for it, I don't think that's an issue.

throx: i dont think anyone has yet to use that libEQ.a to produce anything that works. It was built as an "unsupported, probably wont work, but here you go" type thing. Endianess is going to be an issue for any big endian archs, EQ's data doesnt adhere to network byte ordering.

rizwank
10-28-2002, 01:52 PM
this would be interesting...

my G4 is sitting here when I dont edit video, id LOVE to use it for seq!