PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting linux after 2 months

oopsys
08-29-2002, 04:44 AM
starting the ol computer everything worked fine until today.

I start up and everything works, but now it goes to this

ip44-44-44-444 login:

it used to automatically skip this and start up linux but now its stuck here and I don't know what to type to make it start up. I can type in my login and such but now what to type to start this sucker up?

if you know pls just tell me what to type instead of links pls
thx

Mr. Suspicious
08-29-2002, 05:25 AM
Read the Pre face section of this document: http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf It's 19 pages (page 14 through 32), so I am NOT going to type it out for you. Then after reading it (don't skimm over it, actually READ it completely, that shouldn't take more then 15 minutes of your time), apply your newly acquired knowledge.

oopsys
08-29-2002, 03:09 PM
thx for the link. Was good reading. I still can't find the answer on linux.org either. If you know the answer to my problem pls just let me know here.

Dedpoet
08-29-2002, 03:37 PM
The point of Mr. S's post was that you gave us very little information with which to help you.

The login prompt wants you to log in. Try root and then when it asks for a password, try your root password (the one you set when you installed). If a windows environment doesn't start, try typing startx or maybe just x at the prompt.

You didn't tell us what distribution you are running, what may have happened last time you shut it down to cause this, what color the sky is in your world, etc. More information leads to better problem resolution.

oopsys
08-29-2002, 04:01 PM
ok my bad sorry.

I am using the linux from redhat version 7.2

My cable modem had problems yesterday and restarting linux took me to the login prompt.

so far the startx got me to the windows type mode. I will post exact details if I can't get anything to work. thx

Dedpoet
08-30-2002, 07:06 AM
This may not be a popular solution, but if it's Redhat and all you use it for is Seq, you could re-install cleanly and have it up in about 30 minutes - 2 hours depending on processor and cdrom speed. I have found that the longest step in setting up a RH Seq box is sorting through all the packages. The rest of the time you can just sit there and watch the files copy.