PDA

View Full Version : OT - Metalog and Gentoo

Yueh
09-05-2002, 07:59 AM
Does anyone here use Metalog with Gentoo successfully? I have two different Gentoo boxes running Metalog and, after trying to debug some network card interrupt issues, realized that Metalog is dropping a ton of bootup kernel messages. That doesn't give me much of a warm fuzzy that it isn't dropping other stuff. I switched both to syslog-ng but was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Since the metalog mailinglist is pretty much defunct I thought I'd ask the bleeding edgers here :)

Dedpoet
09-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, I use metalog but haven't noticed a problem. I'll dig in tonight since I'll be doing quite a bit of sitting around in game.

Yueh
09-05-2002, 09:18 AM
I'd been using it for months, it's not like you really notice missing log entries :) In particular, look for things like your hard drives coming up, journaling enabling, network card modules loading, that sort of thing. I get some of it and lose some of it.

Ratt
09-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Metalog uses buffering... is that the problem you are seeing? Or have you shut off buffering? (kill USR1 I think?)

Yueh
09-05-2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I shut that off, restarted metalog, you name it. What I'm noticing missing is just strange pieces of the bootup stuff. Stuff before and after is there. *shrug*

CoolGuyEQ
09-06-2002, 07:35 AM
Tried asking on the Gentoo forums? This is SEQ help, not Gentoo..../bonk :P

CGEQ

Yueh
09-06-2002, 07:58 AM
No, it's not really a Gentoo question and the Metalog forums are defunct. AND, I know there are a lot of competent Metalog users here :p Hence the OT -

Dedpoet
09-06-2002, 08:35 AM
Yueh, sorry I can't be more help, but frankly my logs just suck. The only machine I run metalog on is pretty much Seq only at the moment. All of the logs I have currently in /var/log/everything look something like this:

[kernel] Linux version 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 (root@hostname) (gcc version 3.1)
[init] Activating demand-procedures for 'A'
[PAM_pwdb] (kde) session opened for <user> by (uid=<uid>)
[kernel] eth0: Setting promiscuous mode.
[kernel] device eth0 left promiscuous mode
[init] switching to runlevel: 0

My longest log is just over 2k and that is because I ran seq a few different times between reboots.

I think it's because I didn't have metalog.conf copied from its original home in /etc/metalog into /etc. I just did that now, so I'll see what happens and try to follow up.

Yueh
09-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks for looking :) So what your telling us is we can safely use your machine as a hacking target :D

Dedpoet
09-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Ok, I'm now getting better logs. I'll let it run like this for a bit and post my findings.

So what your telling us is we can safely use your machine as a hacking target

Well, I suppose you -could- but it wouldn't be much fun. I used to be a firewall admin, so I'm not ignorant about that sort of stuff. Plus I don't keep important stuff on my machines you could get to even if you did get in. If you want my spawnlog.txt or my Neverwinter Nights save games, you're welcome to them. I'll save you the trouble and email them to you if you want. :cool: