PDA

View Full Version : Not Finding SEQ, (I did read the FAQ)

chrisben
09-05-2002, 02:13 PM
ok I know your all looking at this and waiting to flame me. but I promise I did try :)

I managed to get qt, gcc and all the libs I neeed to compile installed, compiled and installes SEQ, but when I start it it's not finding the network connection

Here is my network layout

Cable modem/bridge
|
eth1
Linux Box (SEQ box)
NAT
|
eth0
|
Switch
|
Winho box (EQ box)

The fact that the switch is not a hub does not matter since the eq trafic is destined for the linux box as it is acting as the GW for the network.

if I run tcpdump -i eth0 I do see the eq traffic from the windows box to 989studios.com, so it's not a problem with the network configuration, I must just be overlooking something.

# showeq -i eth0 --ip-address=192.168.0.253
ShowEQ 4.2.14, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
Binary distribution without source code and resale are explictily NOT authorized by ANY party.
If you have paid for this software in any way, shape, or form, the person selling the
software is doing so in violation of the express wishes and intents of the authors of this product.

Please see http://seq.sourceforge.net for further information

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml!
Listening for client: 192.168.0.253
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 192.168.0.253
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_unknown.conf'.
Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
Categories Reloaded
Error opening map file '/usr/local/share/showeq/unknown.map'!
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0

high_jeeves
09-05-2002, 02:20 PM
Try sniffing on the other interface/IP (eth1), or dont specify an IP at all, and use the find next client feature.

--Jeeves

chrisben
09-05-2002, 02:24 PM
same thing if I use -i eth1 insted of eth0, or if I use -P or if I use no ip or if I use no paramaters at all,

one thing that may be worth noting as I've never used it before is that there is no gui screen opening, I would expect it to launch some sort of a user interface as it depended on qt, but as I've never gotten further than this I don't know.

chrisben
09-05-2002, 02:25 PM
oh one more thing I forgot, EQ is currently running on the win box when I start showeq.

fryfrog
09-05-2002, 02:35 PM
it doesn't matter a whole lot, but most people start seq first so that when they zone in from char select, it gets current map and stuff. if you have NEVER tried this, seq might look like it isn't doing anything when you start it after logging in (if spawns aren't setup to be shown, and no map loads).

give us an output of "ifconfig" (and go ahead and XXX out your LIVE ip). we can at least verify that you are using the right ethX. most people put eth0 as live, eth1 as internal... but i don't think thats set in stone anywhere ;)

technically, your setup has to work... you might try using the no-promisc mode, just because you don't need to go into promisc mode in your case... who knows, funky nic?

my next thing to do would be replace the nic on your internal network, its odd but i HAVE seen posts where the nic was the prob...

fryfrog
09-05-2002, 02:37 PM
uh, you SHOULD see a qui screen. if a gui is NOT poping up, that is your problem right there :)

what is your resolution set at? try upping it to like 1280x1024 and see if its just poping up off screen somewhere?

when you run ./showeq does it actually stay running? or does it drop you back to a prompt?

chrisben
09-05-2002, 02:39 PM
# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:E8:80:41:11
inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1268509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2372737 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:116199179 (110.8 MiB) TX bytes:393911219 (375.6 MiB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xef00

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:F0:4D:1C:94
inet addr:1.2.3.4 Bcast:1.2.3.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5277503 errors:14 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:13
TX packets:1200384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:4786 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:736279037 (702.1 MiB) TX bytes:101925169 (97.2 MiB)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xda00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:1736 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1736 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:192024 (187.5 KiB) TX bytes:192024 (187.5 KiB)

I realy doubt it's the nic, because I can see the trafic in tcpdump

chrisben
09-05-2002, 02:42 PM
res is 1600x1200, window manager (kde) shows no new window spawning

after not loading unknown.map it just sits there no cpu activity no prompt I have to break out to get back to prompt.

Dedpoet
09-05-2002, 02:53 PM
If you zone or start Seq before EQ, do you get the "Client detected: X.X.X.X" message?

I'm trying to figure out the GUI thing, but Seq definitely won't see a client unless you start it before the client, or zone after starting the client.

chrisben
09-05-2002, 02:58 PM
ok Just started ./showeq -i eth0,

got the same log, then I zoned from shadowhaven to Echo caverns, and my cursor is still blinking after that opcode line.

still no client detected.

chrisben
09-05-2002, 03:15 PM
from syslog ..

Sep 5 17:00:54 playland kernel: eth0: Promiscuous mode enabled.
Sep 5 17:00:54 playland kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode

so it is trying to listen for the connection ....

still NFI why it's not opening the window ...
X's log doesn't show anthing weird.

chrisben
09-05-2002, 03:53 PM
hmm

I said no cpu usage earlier...

I lied. there was no disk usage ....

top is showing 98.6 % usage while it's just titting there

it's an 800 MHz machine, I don't think it's actualy trying to load anymore ....

Cryonic
09-05-2002, 04:05 PM
KDE has multiple desktop windows. Is it possible you aren't looking at the right one for the SEQ gui?

+----------------+
| 1 | 2 |
+----------------+
| 3 | 4 |
+----------------+

By default most windows try to open in desktop 1 for KDE (unless started from KDE while in another).

chrisben
09-05-2002, 04:16 PM
Yes I am certian that this is not the case, multiveiw annoys me so I have it disabled ..

I am currently in the process of installing qt-gcc3-mt-dev as I aparenlt did not install the headers, so it was compiled with the .1 headers and linked against the .2 libs.. (oops) will let you know how the recompile goes

chrisben
09-05-2002, 04:29 PM
ok, instaled the debs for qt-gcc3-mt-dev and qt-gcc3-dev, made clean reconfigured and did a fresh make

still not getting a gui...

chrisben
09-05-2002, 04:59 PM
ok, just re read the debian guide.

reinstalled all teh stuff under deb-unstable,

reinstalled qt agin

make distclean
./configure
qt locations look kosher now

make,

no errors.

make install

./showeq -i eth0 still not getting a gui.

I'm at my wits end, it should be giving an error about why it isn't opening the gui ...

top's still showing showeq at 99.8% cpu usage

fryfrog
09-06-2002, 06:51 AM
i hate to say it, but i'm stumped... i have NO clue why it might not show the gui. is there some reason you are stuck on debian? if not, i think if you like debian you would probably like gentoo as well. worth a shot, if you are setting linux up to do seq and not much else...

chrisben
09-06-2002, 09:05 AM
heh, wel the install on this box has ben functional for a couple of years now, it's not just a newbie install so I can be l33t and use show eq, I already had the network setup like this, read about your progam and figure'd I'd give it a shot :)

is that anything I can define to recompile it to be more verboxe so I Can tell you al where in the code it's failing ?

bonkersbobcat
09-06-2002, 11:24 AM
./showeq -i eth0 still not getting a gui.

Are you running SEQ out of the directory you installed it in, or out of the directory you built it in?

I always fire up SEQ out of the path that it gets installed in (instead of the current directory - I don't use the ./ in front of showeq when I fire it up)

You are running SEQ as root, right?

I also always fire it up with showeq --ip-address=10.10.10.10

chrisben
09-06-2002, 04:08 PM
does the same thing regardless of anything you mentioned.

I've started it from /usr/local/, /usr/local/bin/ /usr/local/share/ /usr/local/share/showeq,

I've tried both variations of the command line you've spicified and still no GUI

Thanks for your continued sugestions.

fryfrog
09-06-2002, 04:30 PM
this is gonna sound absurdly stupid, but could you like try setting up a vnc server, and running it in there? or maybe export your display onto a windows box running xwin32 or something? see if the gui pops up?

i suspect that showeq IS actually doing something, as its eating up 98% of your cpu... man, that is odd.

www.gentoo.org, i think you will like it ;)

S_B_R
09-06-2002, 11:03 PM
Is it possible that the box cant resolve localhost (or possibly it's own hostname)? if it can't resolv localhost I could see how the gui wouldn't open.

you should have a line in /etc/hosts that looks something like:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Opus
09-07-2002, 07:52 AM
I had a working Debian install up until yesterday when I did an #apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade

I am now experiencing the same problems as chrisben.

Prior to this, The last update/dist-upgrade that I did was on August 24. Also, my last seq checkout/build was from August 24. The build and update from 8/24 was working.

I uninstalled all of the qt and development debs and reinstalled all the necessary debs following casey's instructions from 8/28. I then did another checkout from CVS. This build also exhibits the same problems.

It looks like it is something that was changed in the unstable tree between 8/24 and now that is causing this issue.

chrisben
09-07-2002, 08:01 AM
chrisben@playland:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 playland localhost

chrisben@playland:~$ nslookup localhost -sil
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Name: localhost.local.mydomain.org
Address: 127.0.0.1

chrisben@playland:~$ nslookup 127.0.0.1 -sil
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa name = localhost.

Still haven't been able to get ahold of a copy of wxin /win32, but it appears that both forward and revers dns are happening on the loopback address

the box actualy has a dns server and dhcp server set up for the internal network with dynamic updates enabled. (Cause I'm lazy and don't want to have to enter each computer in the zone file )

if I try starting showeq from an ssh session on the win box it does indeed recognize that it can't open the display

chrisben@playland:~$ showeq -i eth0
ShowEQ 4.2.14, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
Binary distribution without source code and resale are explictily NOT authorized by ANY party.
If you have paid for this software in any way, shape, or form, the person selling the
software is doing so in violation of the express wishes and intents of the authors of this product.

Please see http://seq.sourceforge.net for further information

showeq: cannot connect to X server
Segmentation fault

I also tried logging into X as root and running it . to see if there was somethign wrong with xhosts. but got the same results.

Thanks again for your continues support

Mag@@
09-07-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by chrisben
does the same thing regardless of anything you mentioned.

I've started it from /usr/local/, /usr/local/bin/ /usr/local/share/ /usr/local/share/showeq,

I've tried both variations of the command line you've spicified and still no GUI

Thanks for your continued sugestions.

I have no idea on how your system is set up, and from reading your original post and the subsequent replies, I have a couple of questions because I don't want to assume anything. Your first post says something about not seeing a network connection when you start ShowEQ. In one of your follow up posts you mention not seeing a GUI for ShowEQ. Here are my questions;

1.) When you start ShowEQ from a terminal window, and you got the introductory statements, is it possible the GUI window auto minimized itself? You would begin to see traffic if your IP address was identified - but no GUI.
2.)The comment that was made about the window size got me thinking - is it really there, minimized - but the screen size is too small to display it?

I haven't seen Linux behave like this - but I have seen behavior like this with programs running under a Windows environment and two simultaneous copies of the same program were trying to run.

These might sound like absolutely stupid questions - but its usually those that give the most headaches, because they are easy to overlook.

Hope you resolve it soon.

Edit:
You posted while I was writing this - I saw your follow up info - looks like you have narrowed it down. Good Luck ~

chrisben
09-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Opus
I had a working Debian install up until yesterday when I did an #apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade

I am now experiencing the same problems as chrisben.

Prior to this, The last update/dist-upgrade that I did was on August 24. Also, my last seq checkout/build was from August 24. The build and update from 8/24 was working.

I uninstalled all of the qt and development debs and reinstalled all the necessary debs following casey's instructions from 8/28. I then did another checkout from CVS. This build also exhibits the same problems.

It looks like it is something that was changed in the unstable tree between 8/24 and now that is causing this issue.

well at least I'm not the only one :)

Opus
09-07-2002, 10:59 AM
I found the cause of this problem. It is the new 2.3.2-4 versions of the qt-gcc3 deb's that were released on Sept 3rd. I went back to the 2.3.2-3 version of these files from June 7th, and showeq now works. It brings up the ShowEQ window correctly where before I would just freeze like chrisben described.

fryfrog
09-07-2002, 11:35 AM
ha! damn that qt :)

you guys all have qt compiled with gcc3 right?

chrisben
09-07-2002, 12:10 PM
yup I'm running the deb's for qt-gcc found on this board.

# gcc
gcc gcc-2.95 gcc-3.0 gcc-3.1 gccbug-3.0 gccbug-3.1 gccmakedep

could having more than one version be a problem ... ?

chrisben
09-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Opus
I found the cause of this problem. It is the new 2.3.2-4 versions of the qt-gcc3 deb's that were released on Sept 3rd. I went back to the 2.3.2-3 version of these files from June 7th, and showeq now works. It brings up the ShowEQ window correctly where before I would just freeze like chrisben described.

I am new to the project. if you have a copy of that(those) .deb's that somone could post somewhere I'd be greatfull.

Thanks.

Mag@@
09-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Nice detective work!

chrisben
09-08-2002, 08:40 AM
ok here's what I did to make it work with the qt-gcc3-2.3.2-4

apt-get remove gcc-3.0
apt-get remove gcc-3.1
apt-get install gcc-3.2

cd showeq
make distclean
CC=gcc-3.2 CXX=g++-3.2 ./configure
make all install

showeq -i eth0
loaded up right away.

it apears that the diffucuilty has arisen as qt was compiled with a differnt compile that the one I was using to compile showeq.

thanks again for all your help.

Mr. Suspicious
09-08-2002, 08:43 AM
it apears that the diffucuilty has arisen as qt was compiled with a differnt compile that the one I was using to compile showeq.

Gosh, who would've thought that?

Nobody
09-09-2002, 11:33 AM
I just upgraded my debian-unstable today and have the same behavior. My firewall box shows considerable CPU utilization now, however the GUI never pops up on my local box as it has for quite some time now. It has always popped right up on the current desktop in the right places however now nothing. I've checked all 12 desktops as well, nothing.

chrisben
09-09-2002, 11:40 AM
remove gcc-3.0 and 3.1 if you have them installed,
install gcc-3.2 and g++-3.2
then recompile.

it worked for me ...

Nobody
09-09-2002, 12:25 PM
That did it. I hadn't upgraded to 3.2 yet, still had a few dependencies on 3.0.

Thanks