PDA

View Full Version : Setup Question

TrainSpotter
09-05-2002, 04:13 PM
I have tried searching about setups, but Im still a bit confused (i am confused alot).

Here is what my setup Will look like (once i get the linux machine up).

[Edited, connection wouldnt show up properly, the .'s are just to space out the two |'s]

ISP -- HUB -- LinkSys Router/Switch ---- Computer 1
............ |.................. |
SEQ Machine ....... Computer2

computer1 is my roomate, who does play EQ, but NOT SEQ.
Computer2 is My computer, which I want to run SEQ on. My question is this:
Will this setup work? If not, how do I Make it work, Will i have to setup the SEQMachine as a gateway and scrap the router (dont want to do this, cause the SEQMachine is old old old <g> ) ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question that actually is answered in the FAQ (which i read a couple times, but didnt find an exact answer). Let the Flames commence if it is a dumb question.

Thanks in advance.

bonkersbobcat
09-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Assuming that your ISP gives you multiple IP addresses, you could have have your SEQ machine on a hub between the ISP and the router (as you have drawn.) Usually you just get one IP from your ISP so most people hook it up so that:

ISP
|
Router/Switch
|
True HUB
| | | |
All machines (EQ, EQ, SEQ, Other)

This is convered in the FAQ and in other threads

TrainSpotter
09-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Ahh, ok.

When people were talking about Routers throwin off the SEQ Machines, I thought the SEQ had to be seperate from the Router.

Ok, Can i plug my roomates computer Directly into the Router. Then mine and the SEQ Machine into a Hub (which is connected into the router)? That would work too right?

bonkersbobcat
09-05-2002, 04:51 PM
SEQ is a network sniffer. It must be able to see all the traffic that goes between EQ and the EQ servers on the Internet. If the SEQ box is on a different routing subnet, or on a different ethernet (seperated by a switch) then the traffic it needs to see, it won't work.

Dedpoet
09-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Ok, Can i plug my roomates computer Directly into the Router. Then mine and the SEQ Machine into a Hub (which is connected into the router)? That would work too right?

Yep. Seq will see your machine, but not your roommate's in that configuration, assuming your hub is a true hub of course.

TrainSpotter
09-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Ok, Was just checkin on that aspect. Thanks a lot poet. Time to install and piddle with my linux machine.

EQHatter
09-06-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by TrainSpotter
I have tried searching about setups, but Im still a bit confused (i am confused alot).

Here is what my setup Will look like (once i get the linux machine up).

[Edited, connection wouldnt show up properly, the .'s are just to space out the two |'s]

ISP -- HUB -- LinkSys Router/Switch ---- Computer 1
............ |.................. |
SEQ Machine ....... Computer2

My personal suggestion on your setup:
ISP -- LinkSys -- hub (Use Hub AFTER the linksys)

Connect Comp1 (without SEQ) directly to LinkSysRTR
Connect HUB to second port on LinkSys, then the LinuxBOX (SEQ) and your Comp2 to the hub.

Comp1 will be completely isolated from the SEQ / EQ network traffic and experience NO "nonspecific" network traffic.

Anything after the hub will have network / broadcast floods, constantly.

S_B_R
09-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by bonkersbobcat
Assuming that your ISP gives you multiple IP addresses, you could have have your SEQ machine on a hub between the ISP and the router (as you have drawn.) Usually you just get one IP from your ISP

As point of fact, you don't actually have to give your linux box a routable IP address...