PDA

View Full Version : Pleast help with network setup

Apox
09-07-2002, 01:05 AM
Hi,
Sorry if these questions are dumb but I don't have a clue about networks.. till yesterday i didn't know what a switch, router and hub were :).. anyway.. after 1 week of reading i think i have a basic idea..
My question: I've finally managed to get SEQ working on my linux machine with redhat 7.3.. how should i be connected to the net? i've seen soooo much info on these boards thats its left me confused.
my setup: i've got an isdn connection that goes straight into my main win xp pro machine. my linux and xp boxes are connected via ethernet cards and cable between them... from linux i share my internet connection through my windows xp machine...
will this do for SEQ? or do i absolutely have to go out and buy an isdn router then connect that to a 4 port 10mb hub and connect that to my 2 ethernet cards?
if my current connection is fine.. how do i get the ip address that i should be sniffing? is there some command line to obtain this? or any other way?

Thanks for any info that may help me.

Cryonic
09-07-2002, 01:45 AM
FAQ:

http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html#2.12

Setup an ISDN modem in the linux box and use it as the gateway (why people hook windows directly to the Net is beyond me).

For help in doing the above, go read some HOWTOs at linuxdocs.org