PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to the net with RH 7.2

cllnsj
09-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Hello all,
I have surfed the boards & internet for 12 hours now & am about to pull my hair out. I've followed the installation guide for RH 7.2 to the letter. Downloaded the ISO's, made duplicate disc's 1 & 2. I have currently installed RH sucessfully, but have one problem: I can't connect to the internet with it. With RH & Netscape I have no IP address; however,I can switch over with a dual boot (To windows 98) and connect to the internet without problems. I didn't get a "Found new equipment" prompt following the physical installation of my NIC on the Linux portion of the machine; it popped up on the windows reboot...I have the impression that the Linux portion of the computer doesn't recognize the new NIC that I installed (Netgear FA311). I attempted to replace the NIC with another brand (HP EN120) with no sucess. I haven't even begun setting up the hub/router, as I want to do this one step at a time & limit the variables. When I go to Network configuration, using RH 7.2, there are many lines that ask for information that I have no idea where to locate (Device, IRQ, MEM, IO, IO1,IO2, DMA0,DMA1). I currently use Roadrunner with Internet Explorer & there are no special configuration options that are required; I just check the box that allows it to do it automatically. I ask for help with honest sincerity. I have done my best to locate answers elsewhere, but have failed. When giving answers, please consider me a complete novice to Linux/RH/programming. I may be overlooking something terribly simple. Thank you in advance for your consideration & patience,

James

PS: I have been to the netgear webpage & sifted through the help section. It appears that they only give setup help for RH version 7.0. I attempted to follow these directions with 7.2, but was once again unsucessful.

PPS: If there is any relevant information that I have left out that would assist in troubleshooting, please inform me & I will post it asap.

high_jeeves
09-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Go to one of the many linux sites (www.linux.org to start with), and read a Networking-HOWTO. This is a ShowEQ forum, not a general linux support fourm.. i recommend you go repost your question on a redhat forum.

--Jeeves

cllnsj
09-07-2002, 10:22 PM
I realize that this may not be the most appropriate sight to ask this question on; however, I have been reading these forums for quite some time & feel comfortable posting here. I thought that just a little advice would get me on my way. I have searched through the www.linux.com web sight prior to posting, with no sucess :(

Mr. Suspicious
09-08-2002, 06:24 AM
It's .ORG not .COM

I thought that just a little advice would get me on my way.

That's what Jeeves just did, told you where to go and what document to read when you get there.

BlueAdept
09-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Without exactly knowing how your network is set up, it would really be hard for me to venture a guess.

high_jeeves is correct. Try going to one of the help sites. They have better how-tos on networking.

You can use /sbin/ifconfig to see what your current network is set as and (I might be wrong it has been a long time since I used this tool) /usr/sbin/netconfig to set up your network.

Some good sites are http://linuxdoc.org and http://www.linuxnewbie.org/

Hopefully that helps a bit.

RavenCT
09-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Besides, if you think about it, there are probably a few here who are willing to help you that read these boards from time to time... and that are willing to take the time to help. Like was said above, this really is a board for ShowEQ, not Linux in general.

Additionally this is the "ShowEQ Help Desk" forum, not even the "General" forum.

As for getting your networking problem solved, you really would be better off on a dedicated Linux board (linux.org for example) since there are many many many more people there who read those boards regularly and post with much more frequency.

Don't take this as people here don't want to help, but it is stated quite plainly in the FAQ that you need a working Linux setup before you can even attempt the ShowEQ installation.

cllnsj
09-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Alrighty, thanks for the advice all, Ill post the problems over there. I'm about to the point of hunting down a NIC that is listed as being supported within the RH program...These configuration issues are a step above my limited Linux experience

BlueAdept
09-08-2002, 02:47 PM
RH has been very good about detecting and using hardware. I dont think I have had any problems with any net card since version 6.2 (I do have a usb one that I am going to try soon. It might have problems with that).

I belive your problem is with not having the network set up right and not with it detecting the card.

dirfrops
10-07-2002, 02:59 AM
Being new to RH Linux, I decided to buy The Complete Reference and read a bit..no, no..a LOT.

First off I dont think the Netgear FA311 or whatever it is you are using is compatible with Linux 7.2...you have to downgrade to the 310 or something like that...just look on the box and see if it says it supports Linux.

Second, once you get a compatible NIC, open a shell prompt and type...

# insmod tulip
# netconfig

A little box then opens up and it press the spacebar to X the DHCP box, then TAB down to OK. Then type:

# service network restart

You should see FOUR green OK's

You are now connected to the internet.

Just make sure when you type:

./showeq --ip-address=10.0.0.1 that the four numbers are the IP address to the computer running EQ. For example, I use a router (Speedstream)...Cable connected to Cable Modem>Patch cable to router>patch cable to hub (four port)>patch cables to respective computers (you Linux networking gurus, I know my Linux box could be the router, but I'm not that good yet.

Basically the router IP address is 192.168.0.1, my EQ box is 192.168.0.2, my Linux box is 192.168.0.3 and so on and so forth...I THINK it depends on which ones you boot in what sequence, but it may have to do with what spot in the hub it's plugged into (once again, I'm not a network guru)..

Long story short...on the EQ box running on Windows, just open up Network Neighborhood (in Win XP) and find out what your IP address is... In WinME, 98, 95 just open a run box and type winipconfig and it should tell you.

Remember, everytime you reboot...

#insmod tulip
#netconfig (click on the DHCP box and Enter)
#service network restart

Now, I will tell you this...using this method I get booted off if there is no network activity, and I actually have to reboot to be able to reconnect...doing the #service network restart thing gives me a FAILED on one of the lines if I don't reboot.

PS...Hope it works, and Flame away...