PDA

View Full Version : level-difference exp modifier pre-60, pre-50?

jonseq
09-09-2002, 01:33 PM
While the stats for a lvl 60 PC are very informative (lvl 55 and above mobs give twice the exp as below), I wonder where the penalty/bonus cutoff is for other levels.

LVL

jonseq
09-09-2002, 01:34 PM
specifically, has anyone collected statistics for a lvl 40 char, 55 char, and observed a drastic change in exp at a certain NPC level?

Yueh
09-09-2002, 02:16 PM
To make a completely objective call, you would need someone with Fee's incredible forsight and initiative who went out and gathered some numbers before the patch so he'd have something to compare to.

SwedishChef
09-09-2002, 05:03 PM
The formula for how much exp a mob would return before the september fourth patch was known, except that in levels 30-50 a small modifier was applied based on whether that level used to be a hell level or not.

As long as you stick to players level 51 or higher, and compare their exp return as tested now with what the old formula yields, you should get decent comparisons.

Cryonic
09-09-2002, 05:48 PM
They didn't apply any modifier to levels 30 - 50 for exp gained. They literally shifted the exp tables themselves around for what you needed to clear each level (without changing the total exp by the time you cleared 60). Mobs kept giving the same exp:

Level * Level * ZEM * class mod

Yueh
09-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Good point. I apparently can't get through my thick skull that the curve adjustments just plain don't matter with respect to the exp/NPC changes.

jonseq
09-10-2002, 12:22 PM
First, I thought the story of Verant leaving the exp endpoints alone, so that your level/percent-through-it stayed constant, while adding/adjusting per-level multipliers to *effectively* smooth out the total-exp/level curve was a good one.

I never monitored my experience before or after the patch, but are you people saying that for certain, the 30-50 smoothing did not add any multipliers, but actually shifted the exp goalposts for the levels? So, Verant actually updated everyone's exp using linear interpolation to give them the same level/percent?

In addition, my query is not looking for pre/post patch statistics, but a simple measure of whether, at levels lower than 60, and lower than 50, there is a similar drastic and sudden doubling of the exp for killing a mob from NPC level N to N+1 (for Fee's lvl 60 case, whether you believe EXP was truly nerfed, or a multiplier was added to smooth the curve, he definitely showed that there is a huge jump, roughly doubling the exp from NPC level 54 to 55)

I was hoping somebody who monitors their exp with seq could record their exp per NPC level at say, player lvl 45 and 55, to see what the new "optimum exp per time" NPC level is (assuming you can take near-even cons)

Cryonic
09-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Go search the devel forum, there was at least one very long discussion on this back when they made the change to 30 - 50.