PDA

View Full Version : SEQ vs Solaris 9 x86

e@tme
09-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Guys,

Ran a search for Solaris and Solaris x86 but only got responses for SPARC platforms.

Question:

Has anyone managed to get SEQ running on x86 versions of Solaris?

If so - can ya lemme know - I dont wanna waste time on this is its a no-goer :)

Cheers in advance

** EDIT **

I will be looking to use Solaris 8 02/02 as its my preferred platform *grin*

Dedpoet
09-12-2002, 10:35 AM
I didn't expect that you would think of this, but I searched on "endian" and found this thread. I just remember someone posting something about it...I remember the dumbest stuff, I swear.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=373&highlight=endian

e@tme
09-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Thanks Dedpoet :) - i found that thread when i searched under Solaris and read it through.

Unfortunatley I am not looking to run seq on a big endian system, just a lowly intel chip :)

Yeah - Solaris is 64bit, but only if the processor supports it (which i dont beleive an intel p3 does. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

so.....

Ratt
09-12-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by e@tme
Thanks Dedpoet :) - i found that thread when i searched under Solaris and read it through.

Unfortunatley I am not looking to run seq on a big endian system, just a lowly intel chip :)

Yeah - Solaris is 64bit, but only if the processor supports it (which i dont beleive an intel p3 does. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

so.....

Oh God... Solaris on an Intel, are you insane? Well, probably, but that's another story.

I'm not sure how SEQ would behave on Solaris 8 on an Intel chip, to be honest. But, I think it could be done *comparitively* easily. (Compared to getting it running on a SPARC station) ... You just need the proper libraries and such.

You'd probably have to do some #ifdefs and stuff, much like the FreeBSD patches, but with some work, it could be done.

The big problem might be the pcap libraries and how they handle sockets, etc...

e@tme
09-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Yeah,

Thats what I thought.

I don't know enough about the structure of SEQ at the moment to be able to get the app working under Solaris.

I work with proper SPARC Solaris all day *grin*, and not linux - ergo administratively it is *easier* for me to have wingetel solaris for SEQ. Mayube that will not be the case.

Still, I am gonna bite the bullet and download the distro from sun and give it a whirl *fool*.

If anyone has already tried, please post any info / hiccups et al, as I dont wanna go and re-create someone elses wheel :)

Still, If i get anywhere, ill let ya know !!