PDA

View Full Version : SEQ ebuild for Gentoo?!?

flipper
09-12-2002, 08:28 PM
I have given some thought to taking a crack at writing an ebuild script for SEQ on Gentoo Linux so I can learn more about how ebuilds work, but I just don't give a ratt's ass about EQ anymore (Sorry Ratt -- the pun was unintentional). Haven't they shut down the EQ servers yet? :rolleyes:

If I somehow manage to motivate myself to start playing EQ again this weekend I will look into this.

Dedpoet
09-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Not to turn you off to the idea, but most of the people who run Seq on Gentoo don't have a problem getting it running, since installing Gentoo is itself much harder than building Seq. If you do it though, I think the dependencies you'll need are libpcap, the gif and jpg libraries, gcc3 or better, whichever Qt you want to use in the script, and I think that's it. It probably wouldn't be too hard at all to crib off an existing ebuild script. The only "problem" I forsee is testing it from a clean install. It's not like Redhat where you can reload a box in 20 minutes and test from zero so easily...

fryfrog
09-13-2002, 04:56 AM
emerge -e

don't forget you need to make sure qt-2.3.2 gets compiled with gcc3... so you would need to make sure gcc3 was there first, then you probably need to have a seperate ebuild for qt-2.3.2-gcc3 (some people will want a qt-2.3.2 compiled with what ever normal compiler they use).

libpcap as mentioned above, XFree86 (can't forget that!), and probably a few more :)

cvs, but i think you would actually need someplace that had a nightly .bz2 of the source... not sure if ebuilds will grab source from cvs or not.

at one point, i wanted to play with it... but i kindof realized what poet mentioned... the people that use gentoo (and get it running themselves) probably don't need an build ;p

RavenCT
09-13-2002, 10:57 AM
I managed to get Gentoo built and finally got KDE compiled (I'm running it in VMWare and it literally took DAYS to compile - Even on a P4 1.4 w/768 MB of RAM), but I've yet to get the packages right that it needs to compile and run SEQ... I have GCC3 done and I want to get the rest of the packages before I attempt setting up the QT.

I will agree with all the others, Gentoo is not for the faint of heart! :D

I really am trying to see if it runs quicker in VMWare since I want to run VMW with SEQ in it and EQ (in EQW) on the same box. That way I can run my second machine with the other EQ account (PII 400).... We'll see, this has definetly been ad adventure so far! :)

flipper
09-13-2002, 12:01 PM
There are really 2 tricks to getting SEQ to work on Gentoo 1.2. The first is emerging gcc-3.1 (what I use) or gcc-3.2 (I haven't tested this) and the second is having the right qt install for SEQ.

I have gcc-3.1 and I did something like:
cd /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc
emerge gcc-3.1.somestuff.ebuild

For QT, I downloaded qt-2.3.2 from Trolltech and compiled it in /usr/lib/qt-2.3.2 with the all so important -thread option for configure.

When compiling SEQ I do the following:
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
export GCC=gcc-3.1; export GXX=g++-3.1

Then I compile SEQ per instructions:
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

If you have the other dependencies already installed (libpcap, gif/jpeg libs) then you should be gtg. I just recompiled SEQ now to make sure the above poop is correct, and it is ;)

flipper
09-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Based on the above comments, I believe an ebuild would be too painful to do on Gentoo 1.2 because of all the different gcc-3.x that people are using. In Gentoo 1.4 I think it should be quite a bit easier to do -- although I now question the value of an SEQ ebuild considering the above remarks by others.

Ratt
09-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Couple things:

1. I have SEQ running on a "stock" Gentoo 1.4b (GCC 3.2, QT 3.0.5, etc...) and it works just fine.

2. I don't want to see an ebuild script for the same reason I don't want to see an RPM... it makes it way too easy for Joe Average Script Kiddy to install SEQ (and god forbid, keep it updated).

I've thought about an ebuild script to give more visibility to Gentoo, but the cost is too high to the SEQ and EQ community.

We will, however, probably reintroduce the CVS snapshot download tarball RSN.

Cryonic
09-13-2002, 01:37 PM
I much prefer the CVS only method for getting SEQ. It seems to reduce the number of idiots from getting a hold of a copy of SEQ.

domesticbeer
09-13-2002, 02:01 PM
I actually did a laptop install of the 1.2 build and then updated the compiler to gcc3.2 and have pretty much at that point recompiled every package with gcc3.2.

Specs are
gcc3.2
qt 3.05
libpcap
libjpeg
libpng
gd

Showeq runs great, I dont see any problems with it.

Oh, you cant use gif support any more. GD does not support. Stupid Unisys.

I also agree if you can get Gentoo installed and running then you shouldnt need an ebuild. Getting ShowEQ running should be no problem. What I would like to see is the Zaphod checkdep.sh script for Gentoo. That would help in making sure you have all the correct library's installed.

flipper
09-13-2002, 05:14 PM
1. I have SEQ running on a "stock" Gentoo 1.4b (GCC 3.2, QT 3.0.5, etc...) and it works just fine.

2. I don't want to see an ebuild script for the same reason I don't want to see an RPM... it makes it way too easy for Joe Average Script Kiddy to install SEQ (and god forbid, keep it updated).

I've thought about an ebuild script to give more visibility to Gentoo, but the cost is too high to the SEQ and EQ community.

Point#2 is well taken. I will find another ebuild to play with.

I am about to try Gentoo 1.4_rc1. SEQ should be straightforward there as well. Ratt -- did you roll your own qt-3.0.5 or just emerge it?

Dedpoet
09-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Flipper, I know you asked this of Ratt specifically, but I can attest that emerging 2.3.2 or 3.0.x from the ebuilds included in /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt both work for seq. I did go into the .ebuild files and change the ./configure sections to jive with an old post from Zaphod, as far as the options are concerned. I ended up switching from 3.0.5-r1 back to 2.3.2 because of the "field of view" issue where it wouldn't track your movement prior to the zone being decoded. 3.0.5-r2 is supposed to have fixed that. I'm going to update my portage tree this weekend and try my luck on r2 myself, but I can confirm that emerging Qt will allow seq to build. The -thread option is included in the ebuild script.

fryfrog
09-13-2002, 06:57 PM
since i'm not using gcc3 as my default compiler, i used the "ebuild" options found in "man ebuild" to use it to compile and install it.

ebuild qt-2.3.2 fetch, unpack (then i edited the right file by hand) then i think just "qmerge" but i could be wrong. let me install qt-2.3.2 as an ebuild, but also compile it with gcc3 :)

i think it just feels better to use the systems package managment to get stuff installed :)

Pigeon
09-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Hehe...

Using gentoo. As long as you're using 1.3 and above, all you need to do is emerge the dependencies (qt whatever, libpcap, forgot the rest.. though nothing other than maybe libpcap that wouldn't be installed on an average desktop system by default anyway) and then:

export CVSROOT=whateveritwasIcan'tremember
cvs login
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

Would install it. Don't need to deal with special qt versions/special variables etc. because everything is build with gcc 3.1 or above and the correct variables are set by default.

I can't see there being a need for a gentoo ebuild, simply because of how easy it is.

link129
09-17-2002, 03:35 PM
Gentoo 1.4rc1

gcc version 3.2
qt-3.0.5-rc2

I ended up switching from 3.0.5-r1 back to 2.3.2 because of the "field of view" issue where it wouldn't track your movement prior to the zone being decoded. 3.0.5-r2 is supposed to have fixed that.

That problem is still there for me.