PDA

View Full Version : SEQ and IP Masq'ing

thedude
09-18-2002, 01:27 PM
I just setup an IP Masq network, and was wondering if anyone knows of any problems running SEQ on a masq'ed network. The gateway machine is running Slackware 8, 2.2.19 kernel i think, so I used ipchains. I was previously using a linksys router instead of the linux box, and showeq always worked fine, but as soon as I got the linux box setup as a gateway/router, showeq stopped working. And of course, as an idiot check, I've pinged all the machines from the gateway. I didn't re-wire anything, all the machines are still connected to the hub. And also, for the firewall, I used a VERY loose ruleset. And yes I know I'm lazy and I should compile a 2.4 kernel and use iptables, but I haven't gotten around to it yet :) .

Cryonic
09-18-2002, 02:34 PM
I'm assuming that the Gateway machine is NOT running SEQ. Are all the machines that are hooked to the "hub" running at the same speed (e.g. all 10, or all 100Mbps?) or are they running at different speeds (some 10, some 100Mbps?).

If so, then has that status changed from before you put in the Linux Gateway/Router? (e.g. if all were at the same speed before, are they still? or if running at different speeds are they still?).

The reason is, you may have a Switching Hub. If all the devices are at the same speed it acts as a true Switch, if one is at a different speed from the others then it acts as a hub for each speed and a switch for between them (e.g. all the 10's are on one hub, all the 100's are on another and it uses a switch to allow communication between the two).

thedude
09-18-2002, 03:01 PM
The gateway machine is in fact running ShowEQ, and all of the cards I am using are 10/100 cards, and are all running at 100 Mbps (according to the hub). Also, I'm pretty sure the hub that I'm using is not a switching hub.

Are there going to be problems with trying to run ShowEQ from the gateway box, or is there just some more stuff I need to configure?

Cryonic
09-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Since you are running it on the Gateway/Router then it is fully capable of seeing the EQ traffic. That means that you just need to make sure SEQ is listening to the right NIC (the one connected to your EQ machine/hub/whatever is IN your house) and not the External NIC.

I believe running:

showeq -h
or
showeq --help

will display all the command line options that SEQ can be started with.

The ones you want (if they are there) is don't run in promisc mode (since the data HAS to traverse the SEQ machine anyways) and the interface switch to tell SEQ which interface to listen to.

e.g. the command might be similar to:

showeq -p -i eth0

thedude
09-18-2002, 03:37 PM
yea, I knew I was forgetting something obvious. Since I just added the 2nd NIC I forgot to change the interface from eth0 to eth1, thanks for the help.

high_jeeves
09-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Posted the same solution as Cryonic above.. thats what i get for starting to post, and then walking away for a while...

--Jeeves