PDA

View Full Version : odd problem

t3k
09-25-2002, 01:51 AM
i've never posted here, because i've never needed help.. until now.. i was just wondering if anyone knows the syntax (or if its possible) to download the CVS through a proxy (don't ask).. *cringe* before flames ;)
thanks in advance

fryfrog
09-25-2002, 05:23 AM
you try "man cvs" or "cvs --help"? i don't know how off the top of my head though.

Mr. Suspicious
09-25-2002, 05:39 AM
Have a look at the manuals, FAQ's and ofcourse forums of CVS's development site: http://www.cvshome.org/

Dedpoet
09-25-2002, 06:51 AM
I had this same problem a few months back. The cvs manual on the web page doesn't even contain the word "proxy" and neither does the man page. As far as I can tell, command line cvs does not support proxies. For me, it was just because of the network I was trying to download from, so I just waited and did it later from another location.

When I saw this post, I poked around a bit again. WinCVS (the windows CVS client) has a tab in the configuration called Proxy, where you can enter an address and a port number. This may solve your problem, depending on what kind of proxy it is. Mine requires a username/password, which this config screen doesn't seem to contain. Maybe if your proxy requires a password, it will prompt you for one when you initiate the checkout, I am not sure. If it works for you though, you can always do it that way, then shoot the files over to your Linux box with ftp or some other method. I know it's not the best solution, but it might work.

If that doesn't work, you may have to have a friend pull the cvs and tar it up for you.

LordCrush
09-26-2002, 01:19 AM
I have tried the WinCVS a few Times, be sure to set the character conversion to ASCII when you ftp to our Linux-Box ... if not nice never seen error msgs will be the reward ;)

t3k
09-27-2002, 04:19 PM
thanks alot for the ideas, i transferred with samba instead of FTP.. but it gave the same error when trying to compile as someone else who didnt use ascii in their ftp transfer..
maybe samba sux in that way? no clue..
i'll make sure to FTP the right way n see if it works this time ;)
thanks again everyone!

Ratt
09-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Samba has a setting some where that converts ASCII from MSDOS to Unix if I recall correctly...

It's been so long since I used SAMBA though, I couldn't even tell ya where or what it.

Cryonic
09-27-2002, 04:47 PM
Or use dos2unix once the files are transferred.