PDA

View Full Version : libpcap-0.7.1-2 ??

e@tme
09-26-2002, 01:42 AM
Guys and Gals,

I know SEQ uses libpcap-0.6.2 but I need to have libpcap-0.7.1-2 installed also - now the two wont work together :(

SEQ will not work with libpcap-0.7.1-2
Other application will not work with libpcap-0.6.2

Has anyone got any solutions?

I did search on libpcap but get almost 2 pages of everything :( trawled through some of them but no joy

fee
09-26-2002, 03:19 AM
Showeq should work fine with libpcap-0.7.1.

Fee

fryfrog
09-26-2002, 05:41 AM
there is no *should*, it does.

mystique root # emerge search libpcap
Searching...
[ Results for search key : libpcap ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* net-libs/libpcap
Latest version available: 0.7.1
Latest version installed: 0.7.1
Homepage: http://www.tcpdump.org/
Description: pcap-Library

e@tme
09-26-2002, 07:27 AM
I forgot to mention that I am using RH 7.2.

I get an error when i try to ./configure

checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. Read the INSTALL file.

Now, if i rpm --erase libpcap (v0.7.1-2) and rpm -ivh libpcap-0.6.2... then run a configure all is fine and i can compile, make and run seq

if i re-apply v0.7.1 and rpm --rebuilddb then try to configure it fails :(

hope this makes sense to someone *grin*

fryfrog
09-26-2002, 08:00 AM
do a find on "libpcap" and look for the library files.

i would use "slocate libpcap". i have a feeling you will find that for 0.6.x you will see something like libpcap-0.6.1.so and with 0.7.1 you might see libpcap-0.7.1.so. have you run "ldconfig" or rebooted after installing libpcap?

if you can figure out what the old "lib" that its looking for, you can just make a symlink like "ln -s /usr/lib/libpca-0.6.2.so /usr/lib/libpcap-0.7.1.so" (of course, i'm just making up names... they should be similar but i'm not sure).

also, instead of using "rpm -e" then "rpm -ivh" try using "rpm -Fvh" or "rpm -Uvh" which will "update" your 0.6.2 -> 0.7.1 (and maybe run ldconfig or what ever when its done).

e@tme
09-26-2002, 08:31 AM
wow -

Thanks for the help guys - i have done a lil bit of digging and found that it helps if tthe headers are installed :P

anyways - your totally right - libpcap-0.7.1-2 will work with seq :)

I didnt have an issue with getting the right rpm installed, just that i needed to get the src.rpm and compile the headers :)

Once again - thanks

fryfrog
09-26-2002, 09:43 AM
ahhhhhh, you probably needed "libpcap" and "libpcap-devel"

in 7.2 and below, libpcap was libpcap+devel (both). in mandrake it was "libpcap" and "libpcap-devel". i bet if you go look, there is now a "libpcap-devel" package for redhat (where there didn't use to be).

taipeiben
10-08-2002, 09:39 AM
i get this error too:
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. Read the INSTALL file.

I'm using mandrake 9.0, and I only have the 0.7.1-2mdk rpm installed. I've gathered that I need lipcap-devel as well but can anyone tell me how to find and install? I'm not familiar with linux.

high_jeeves
10-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Read the docs for you distro to learn how to install packages. (I know, reading is a crazy idea).

--Jeeves