PDA

View Full Version : Noob to Linux, recommended books?

earhoe
10-01-2002, 02:47 AM
Was able to install Mandrake 8.2, looking for a good book to read and learn from Noob status ^.^

Any other links or such would be helpful also.

Thanks,

Would like to ask questions here but I think you guys will just get headaches from me...hehe

fryfrog
10-01-2002, 05:30 AM
i've bought a couple of books, but all i did was goto the book store and grab a linux book (usually for the distro i was mucking about with at the time). i think i finally realized that the online documentation had a far greater tendency to be up to date and usually it was just as good or better (but sometimes harder to read). www.linuxdocs.org is a good place to start, google.com is your friend ;)

most of the apps you would want to learn have their own web page and thus their own online (detailed) manual :)

Dedpoet
10-01-2002, 11:36 AM
This (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596000251/qid=1033493477/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9633930-3423146?v=glance) is a fantastic book for a Linux newbie. It's not very big, it's an easy read, and it is full of great information.

For more in depth information, the Sams Publishing "Unleashed" series of books are top notch. They can be intimidating, as they are often 1000+ pages, but they are well written, and fairly in depth.

I agree with fryfrog though, the on-line docs are pretty good for most distros, sometimes better. I personally like to have some hard copy stuff lying around though. I still crack my copy of Linux Unleashed when I need to find a quick vi command or can't remember a switch for tar or something.

Yueh
10-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Save the trees!!! Use 'man tar' :D

Dedpoet
10-02-2002, 06:36 AM
What is this, a Greenpeace board? :p

"man tar" works great, but ever try "man vi"? Try to find a quick command in that mess!

See the kinds of posts you make when you haven't played EQ in a few days? Sheesh.

Yueh
10-02-2002, 09:44 AM
In vi, :h is great. And I'd like to add that I have no affiliation with morons in dingies who think the sheer force of their particular flavor of morals is enough to keep them from being run over by a hundred thousand metric tons of whaling vessel :)

You are very correct however, the lack of EQ is a bad thing :D

Dedpoet
10-02-2002, 11:06 AM
A_Greenpeace_Member_01 says, 'You whalers have ruined you own lands, you'll not ruin ours!'