PDA

View Full Version : Networking Question

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 08:24 AM
I have gotten ShowEQ to work fine under the following setup:

WAN --> Netgear DS108 --> NetGear MR314 --> EQ Machine
.........................I
.........................L--> HL Server (SEQ Machine)

Now... I have that cable running across the house from the DS108 to the SEQ machine, so I made a slight alteration to allow SEQ to have its own box:

WAN --> Netgear DS108 --> NetGear MR314 --> EQ Machine
.........................I
.........................L--> Netgear DS104 --> SEQ Machine
...........................................I
...........................................L--> HL Server

This setup does NOT work. Before you ask, I went back and plugged the SEQ Machine directly into the DS108, and it works fine. Also, I swapped out the DS104 with an FE104, but it still didn't work. Does my double hub setup cause problems? I would like to avoid running TWO cables across my house or having to put the HL Server on a wireless connect (too flaky).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

high_jeeves
10-01-2002, 09:53 AM
I assume your DS104 has its uplink plug connected to the DS108? I'm pretty sure that these devices dont broadcast packets "down" a hub (from uplink, to repeater ports) if the packet is not destined for a device on the hub.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
10-01-2002, 10:04 AM
i'm not sure exactly which of your model numbers are hubs, or how your network is actually laid out... but lemme show you mine!

internet -> hub (with seq and other eq boxes) -> hub (with more eq boxes). easy enough. since all traffic from the far hub has to goto the close hub (with the router) the first hub sees all traffic. since i use linksys hubs, its a little more fun... but it works for me :)

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 10:39 AM
The formatting got screwed up, but yes... I have the DS104 plugged into the uplink port on the DS108 in the first "diagram". If the DS108 does not broadcast "undestined" traffic down into the DS104, then that would explain the problem. I always thought hubs were "dumb" repeaters, and if you wanted more brains, you went with a router or switch.

Thanks!

high_jeeves
10-01-2002, 10:54 AM
I would think it is the DS104's uplink port that is not broadcasting.. not the DS108. I dont think the DS104 is going to broadcast undestined traffic FROM its own uplink port TO its broadcast ports.

The bottom line is, the ShowEQ machine needs to be in the line of traffic between the EQ machine and the WAN... it clearly is not in your diagram. The easiest fix is probably to remove the DS104, and add a second NIC to your ShowEQ machine.. run the HL server through that, or plug both the ShowEQ machine and HL machine into the DS108.

--Jeeves

SeqTester
10-01-2002, 11:00 AM
You can get around this by using a crossover cable in a regular port and it "Should" send all packets as it would to the other network card.

______Color Code for X-Over cable (ATT-Standard)_______

Orange/white
Orange
Green/white
Blue
Blue/white
Green
Brown/white
brown
-----Other End------
Green/white
Green
Orange/white
Blue
Blue/white
Orange
Brown/white
brown

high_jeeves
10-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Yep.. that will also probably work fine...

--Jeeves

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Do you know if anyone makes a RJ45 "standard to crossover" converter? That would be the easiest solution for me.

Thanks!

high_jeeves
10-01-2002, 11:59 AM
Remember, google is your friend.. search and you will find about 100 websites that sell these.

--Jeeves

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 12:31 PM
lol... I did do that but am not hitting the right terms to get one and was hoping someone knew of one already.

Thanks!

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 12:55 PM
After looking around (at relatively expensive converter boxes), I came up with a potential simple and cheap solution - get a modular coupler and a crossover cable. I am assuming that this will work in lieu of getting a 50ft crossover cable and rewiring my house.

The two items are:

RJ45 MODULAR COUPLER STRAIGHT CAT5 RATED RJ45F/RJ45F WHITE : Belkin Part #R6G050

7FT 10/100BT CAT5E CROSSOVER RJ45M/RJ45M ORANGE : Belkin Part #A3X126-07-ORG

For anyone that is interested, the two are $10.95 plus shipping through buy.com.

Anyone think this will be a problem?

Thanks for all the help guys!

SeqTester
10-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Good call, also if you get the coupler you can open it up switch 1 with 3 and 2 with 6 on one end and you have a no power 2 port HUB. Well but a hub but a Crossever converter box.

SeqTester
10-01-2002, 01:15 PM
here is a maybe easier solution....

Try using the other hubs uplink port. All the uplink port is is a X-over PORT. maybe the X-Over on the recieve end will work better for you.

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 02:14 PM
I would still need a crossover cable to connect to the WAN, but here is another question. What exactly is happening when you push the uplink button on these Netlink hubs? I always thought it was just a crossover, but obviously, either I am missing something that crossing-over implies or there is some logic built into the button.

Also, why would connecting the two hubs with a crossover cable truly act as a hub "extender" (i.e. no bridge, no separate segment) whereas connecting them with an uplink port (button clicked) and a regular cable would not?

Thanks!

MisterTwister
10-01-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SeqTester
Good call, also if you get the coupler you can open it up switch 1 with 3 and 2 with 6 on one end and you have a no power 2 port HUB. Well but a hub but a Crossever converter box.

I don't understand what you are getting at here. All this coupler does is allow me to connect two M/M cables together (it is a F/F box the size of your thumb and just passes the pins straight through). In this case, the small crossover cable plus the coupler acts as a one-port "converter". How could I create a 2-port converter/hub with this stuff? That would be cool...

Thanks!

high_jeeves
10-01-2002, 04:05 PM
I would still need a crossover cable to connect to the WAN, but here is another question. What exactly is happening when you push the uplink button on these Netlink hubs? I always thought it was just a crossover, but obviously, either I am missing something that crossing-over implies or there is some logic built into the button.

Also, why would connecting the two hubs with a crossover cable truly act as a hub "extender" (i.e. no bridge, no separate segment) whereas connecting them with an uplink port (button clicked) and a regular cable would not?

Thanks!

That is what it SHOULD do.. but, as we have found with other hubs, (linksys, most notably), they sneak in little tricks to imporve performance. My speculation above might be incorrect, but given the evidence (you cant see the packts), I think it is a reasonable guess.

Good luck...

--Jeeves

SeqTester
10-01-2002, 07:13 PM
if you swap the Send and recieve on one end of a coupler you have a X-Over converter. I use it for Lan games in the Car "Only 2 peeps but helps kill time" open the converter and pop out the part with al the pins and swap 1 for 3 and 2 for 6 and it WILL X-Over for you. I have one here in my hand they nice to keep around.

MisterTwister
10-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Heh heh... That makes total sense. In retrospect, it seem obvious... lol

Thanks!