PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat 8 upgrade problems...

Razzbuten
10-02-2002, 07:41 AM
I am a noob and like chasing Blackburrow Gnolls. I here people that run Showeq are asses. I wanna be an ass someday.

fryfrog
10-02-2002, 08:11 AM
try recompiling. you moved from a distro with gcc3 being optional to a distro based entirely on gcc3 (now called gcc). the old "gcc3" libraries are gone, now they are named like the old gcc2 libs on your old system.

basically, just re-compile qt and seq (you MIGHT be able to just recompile seq... but i seriously doubt it).

Razzbuten
10-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Can you further that?

Perhaps we can chat a bit...I am just now figuring out all the "compiling" instead of running the ole EXE for everything.

Just would like to have someone cinfirm what I am THINKING is actually gonna work.

high_jeeves
10-02-2002, 09:12 AM
BAAAAMMM!

Thats the sound of Razzbuten getting banned if ANY of that information is connected to his EQ account...

--Jeeves

fryfrog
10-02-2002, 10:31 AM
yeah, you might wanna go back and edit out that info. also, if you want to run bleeding edge distro you are going to have to be prepared to help yourself out. i doubt many of us who know what we are doing are using mdk or rh anymore :)

three-p-o
10-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Gentoo baby.. =p

fryfrog
10-02-2002, 12:48 PM
tell us what you wanna try, putting it in the forums might help someone else who is trying to get seq working in rh 8.0 :)

Razzbuten
10-02-2002, 01:07 PM
Well Not 100% sure. I tried to recompile and it said I was missing some libraries...I am at work right now so will be tonight before I can try it again.

fryfrog
10-02-2002, 01:14 PM
i would ASSUME (and i could be wrong...)

that you will need to recompile qt-2.3.2 and make SURE that the config file does specify "gcc3" or "g++3". you would then need to compile seq again, but w/o specifying "gcc3" or "g++3". don't forget all the -switches during the ./configure portion of qt.

just pretend you are starting over from scratch installing seq :)

Razzbuten
10-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Would you be interested in helping me a bit on this one?

I am like I said New to the Compile thing I was using the install script found on one of these threads...Up to this RH 8.0 is worked great!

Dedpoet
10-02-2002, 01:53 PM
It's all in the FAQ Razz, linked off of the main page of this forum. Between that and the Redhat walkthru in this forum, it should be all you need. Just follow the directions starting from the part where you compile QT and you should be just fine.

Razzbuten
10-02-2002, 01:56 PM
I kicked myself after asking that. Thanks for the GENTLE FLAME, and not the full blown Manaburn I deserved...

fryfrog
10-02-2002, 04:07 PM
unfortunatly trying to help someone do this sort of thing is usually an effort in futility. since i don't have rh 8 installed myself, i can't really do things to recommend how you would do it. you know what i mean?

it would be a back and forth of "hey, try typing "gcc -v" at a prompt" and see what it says... "try making sure the configs file in qt is right". anyway, the faq and the walkthroughs should give you a good starting point. you won't be able to follow them to the LETTER, but it should give you a good starting point of what to look at especially if you can figure some of it out on your own, know what i mean?

Razzbuten
10-02-2002, 04:13 PM
Yes I do...I intend to show you I am not trying to be lazy here....

I am trying to compile again as we speak. Currently its moving fine. It had errored out before this before.

Will update you if this works and share my discovery

mbozio
10-02-2002, 10:22 PM
The problme u might experience is due to the upgrade process of RH.

qt library

First, u must remove qt2.3.2-gcc3 rpm. U can do that after the upgrade.
Then, u need to be sure u have qt3.0.5-gcc3 installed and the qt3.0.5-devel.
If u duno where to get them, RH8.0 pakages tool will install them if u check KDE and KDE develompement.

Developement library

Be sure u have checked the developement lib in the packages tools, and checked all the dev lib in the detail as well.

go in ur showeq source dir
do a cvs up (to check ofr an eventual new source tree)
make distclean
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make

should work, if not, post the error it gave u plz.

I personaly don't like that new packages tools. It look like the windows install/remove one and that's lame. But u can still use the good old rpm command in a text terminal :)

CoolGuyEQ
10-03-2002, 07:41 AM
Prexus says Hi Razzbuten...

btw, you're dumb for using the name that you use on the server message boards, much less of your toon :P

CGEQ

Razzbuten
10-03-2002, 08:46 AM
Sorry I have no toon named razzbuten, However I didcreate a toon once called the 2 Mice that wanted to rule the world....Then I was needing an ass pummeling and had to sell it off. I ebayed it along with all of everquest goods.

Next thing that happened saddened me. Somebody bought the right for cheap and sold it off to WB. Those people made Pinky and The Brain out of it and ruined my chances at MILLLIONS!

CoolGuyEQ
10-03-2002, 09:10 AM
OK, is ya say so Razz...:)

CGEQ

Razzbuten
10-03-2002, 09:16 AM
I did Once rub my Nipples til they bled though

Guinney
10-03-2002, 09:47 AM
I saw in one of the other forums where with a fresh RH 8.0 install you needed to manually install the libpcap files .... Try running a search and you may find more details.