PDA

View Full Version : Running SEQ off a Local IP

outthere
10-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Is it possible to run SEQ off a Linux box with a local IP and snoop a dialup connection on a Win98 box?

I don't get my DSL for about a month and I am trying to make due with what I got.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been toying around with it and so far no results. I can ping both machines via local IP. I am using a hub not a switch. I just get no response from SEQ from my EQ game.

/Y

Thanks for any time and patience, and thoughts.

Mr Guy
10-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Oh dear god. This one is too easy.

No. No you can't.

High Jeeves?

high_jeeves
10-03-2002, 12:32 PM
SSSEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH! (or, if you are too lazy to do that, alteast read the FAQ).

--Jeeves

(That one good enough for ya Mr. Guy?)

bonkersbobcat
10-03-2002, 12:32 PM
/sigh

SEQ is a packet sniffer. It sniffs or "snoops" the packets on the local ethernet. If your modem is plugged into your Win98 box, then the information between EQ and the EQ servers on the Internet will only go between your EQ box and the Internet, this data will not ever get to your hub or your SEQ box.

I suggest that you put your modem on your SEQ box and use it to manage the dial up connection. Since your EQ box will have to go through your SEQ box to get to the Internet, SEQ will be able to see the packets. This will put you in a good position or when you get broadband, as you will be able to use your SEQ box as a firewall in addition to running SEQ

or

You could buy a router that can manage a modem as well as routing. Have the router do the dial up for now, and then use the same router to manage the broadband connection when you get it.

There is a lot of additional information on these two suggestions in the SEQ FAQ and in the message boards here (use search)